Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro - Absolutely Stunning!

It isn't often that I update my main studio headphones. In fact, I've had my trusty AKG K240M 600 ohm cans now for nearly 1/4 of a century (that kinda makes me sound old!).
My AKG cans are by no means high end headphones and not intended for critical mixing and mastering decisions. They are simply robust, reliable, general purpose workhorses which have served me very well.

Over the last 30 odd years, I've had the opportunity to audition high end headphones from various well established manufacturers but never took the plunge being happy to focus that budget on my main studio nearfield monitoring system instead.

last week however, I decided to take the plunge and invest in something substantial and much more specialized as a critical reference tool than my K240M cans, the new Beyerdynamic DT1990 250 ohm semi open back "mixing and mastering" headphones. I got a really good deal on these which included the matching A20 headphone amplifier and the DT1990s for less than the regular price of the cans alone. How could I pass that up?!

With much anticipation, they arrived at my studio and I promptly unpacked them, skimmed through the manual and plugged them into my RME Fireface UFX via the A20 amp and fired up REAPER. With great expectations, I placed them over my ears and loaded up some reference material......

A few HOURS later and I was still listening intently! These cans are absolutely stunning and reveal every fine detail with finesse and microscopic accuracy. This is what German precision is all about to me!

These cans come with two sets of interchangeable ear pads marked A (Analytical) and B (Balanced). They are shipped with the B pads in place which have a gentle low end boost.
When I listened to one of my newest mixes with these pads in place, I noticed some low-mid boxiness on the acoustic guitar part which I hadn't detected with my main monitors and wasn't sure if it was the pads or my mixing. I saved a copy of the REAPER project and did a few tweaks to the copy. Then I played it back on the main monitors and it did indeed sound cleaner.

I then decided to switch over to the A pads which Beyerdynamic themselves recommend for critical mixing and mastering work. Much to my surprise, the low-mids and low end were still just as punchy but more neutral and accurate. I've since kept the A pads in place.

To sum up the characteristics of these cans that jump out most to me it is their sheer transparency and detail. Bass is true to what is actually there and is tight, punchy, extended and accurate right down to infrasonic regions. The midrange is clean,open and transparent and the high end is detailed and crisp without being at all harsh or sibilent. The transient response of these cans is simply incredible as is the stereo image which extends beyond the ears rather than being "inside the head" as is common with many headphones, even in the high end category.

Build quality is stunning too. They are made of high grade steel and aluminium with comfortable padded headband and velour ear pads and their appearance is all class. They even SMELL expensive! Yes, I love that "new gear" smell! They are comfortable even after HOURS of use. I couldn't take them off and just wanted to listen to everything all over again! In fact, I listened and listened until I started nodding off from lack of sleep!!

One thing that did surprise me was the results when plugging the 1990s directly into my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone. This phone has quite decent sound quality as far as portable devices go but it isn't exactly a powerhouse in the output level department. My AKG K240M phones struggle to achieve enough level even at maximum volume. This is no surprise given the low cost, consumer level output chips in mobile phones are not designed to drive high impedance headphones. They simply don't have the required voltage swing capability to do so.
The Beyers though are also relatively high impedance so I wasn't expecting much from them either. However, much to my surprise, at full volume they are capable of dangerous long term listening levels and the phone actually sounds surprisingly good indeed playing back some of my flac library. Not surprisingly though, because these cans are so revealing, they reveal the main area this phone does have a weakness and that is in the transient response department. It doesn't have the same snap as the RME through the A20 does but I wouldn't expect it to. It is an apples to oranges (or perhaps Toyota to Bentley) comparison. However, it is still a sheer joy to be able to have such stunning sound quality on the go anywhere I'd also be comfortable taking the DT1990s.

As far as mixing with these cans goes, they are actually very good. The mix decisions I have made so far translate on the main monitors and other speakers far better than mixing with most cans. As mentioned earlier, I was able to pick up on areas that needed refining and the refinements were an improvement on my main monitors too.
Some of you might have tried out my headphone mixing and monitoring REAPER FX chain (see the link in my signature) and when used with the DT1990s, this works VERY nicely. I have set up a fine tuned version of this chain now especially for these cans (I'm using the Blue Ripple Sound Upmixer and Binaural Decoder in place of the ATK one) and I find that not only do I enjoy mixing with this combination immensely but I just love listening to ANYTHING through the combination. I feel like I'm sitting in front of a pair of B&W 800 Diamonds in a world class mix room!! And I'm not exaggerating! I have had the pleasure of listening to some of my mixes on 800 Diamond series monitors.

These are not cheap headphones by any stretch. The regular price for the cans alone in Australia is a little over $1100 and adding the A20 amplifier brings that total closer to the $2K mark. The bundle deal I got was UNDER $1K for both.
Even if I paid full price, I would still consider these a bargain for what you get sound quality and build quality wise.

If you take your audio production seriously and are on the lookout for a new pair of semi open back studio cans, you would be crazy to overlook these gems if they are in your budget. If not, listen to them anyway and save the cash. You won't regret it!

If you need the isolation and lack of acoustic leakage of closed back designs, perhaps consider the DT1770s instead. Open back cans do tend to give a wider sound stage than closed back designs though and tend to be more transparent.

The Beyerdynamic DT1990s with the A20 amplifier are a ten out of ten combination in my opinion!

Last edited by Dannii; 10-08-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
sostenuto

Impressed! THX for heads-up ! $600. here on Amazon and will consider seriously.
My Senns are even older than your K240M(s) ...
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
JamesPeters

I haven't used those headphones so I can't comment on them, but I can however say this: a number of headphones will probably sound significantly better to you than the 600-ohm K240M, including headphones which are in the $100-$200 price range. The high impedance of that design wasn't intended for the headphone amps which are common these days even on some of the best gear (let alone your phone). I've read they were actually intended to be run in parallel on a single headphone amp (in a studio) for multiple people to be able to monitor at once; that has something to do with the choice of 600 ohms impedance. There are some dedicated headphone amps which work fine at that impedance but it's not something you find built into a lot of gear like PC/Mac audio devices.

It's not just about loudness either. The high impedance affects the responsiveness of the drivers at different frequencies.

When I switched to Sennheiser HD280 Pro, it was a huge improvement over the 600-ohm K240 (since I didn't have a dedicated headphone amp suitable to drive that kind of load).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:33 AM   #4
Dannii

Sostenuto,
I'd love to hear your thoughts on these if you listen to them. I've heard many different cans in the top end monitoring range and these are easily amongst the best in my opinion.

James,
I'm in agreement with pretty much all you say. Perhaps I gave the wrong impression regarding my AKGs. I never used them for critical mixing or mastering decisions and know full well their limitations. They are decent, robust studio cans with a purpose but they are not high end by any stretch. Perhaps I should make an edit to my original post to clarify.
Also, the mention of the phone comparison was simply to highlight the fact that the Beyers, also relatively high impedance, are efficient enough to run at decent listening levels directly from a low cost, consumer device typically suited to low impedance earbuds.
As mentioned above, I have listened to many different high end headphones over the years from various companies and the DT1990s are right up there with the best of what I've heard regardless of cost.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:29 AM   #5
bucca

using beyers for years, a 990pro/250 as well. atm, never mind to change
even with a more or less low end tascam144mkII and its half-decent headphone amp, clarity in any freq range
Old 10-08-2017, 03:56 AM   #6
ivansc

HD650 and HD600 are cheaper and I love mine.
Not really in the market for new cans, but I might see if I can audition a pair in case someone asks me what I want for Xmas!
Old 10-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #7
Luster

I have the BD 880 Pro, also very happy. Try out the Sonarworks headphone correction software - for me the corrected curves make the switch between speaker and cans very easy. In fact I am surprised how close to one another they can sound corrected, considering both aren't that "high-end".
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Sostenuto,
I'd love to hear your thoughts on these if you listen to them. I've heard many different cans in the top end monitoring range and these are easily amongst the best in my opinion. (edit)
Will do _ if & when

Was pointed to the following as another option, but gets pricey, quickly !!! Universal maybe, but Custom is just out-of-reach _ unless _they would truly help my oldheimer's severe roll-off above 5 KHz.

https://www.64audio.com/store/u-series

THX
Old 10-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #9
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Will do _ if & when

Was pointed to the following as another option, but gets pricey, quickly !!! Universal maybe, but Custom is just out-of-reach _ unless _they would truly help my oldheimer's severe roll-off above 5 KHz.

THX
Ah, the old poking a stick in the earhole trick! At least that's how earbuds feel to me. I will stick to the trusted Sennheiser around ear cans.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Ah, the old poking a stick in the earhole trick! At least that's how earbuds feel to me. I will stick to the trusted Sennheiser around ear cans.
John Lehmkuhl (PluginGuru.com) mentioned these on his weekly Livestream and I checked into them. The 'Custom' range would seem to be most likely to help my aging-ears problem, but requires local Audiology visit to have impressions made.
This .... added to earbud cost, which 64 Audio advises A6 model @ ~ $1,200.

Quite an expense with no assurance that it will provide helpful results.
John L is honorable dude, and he is impressed wearing them in-studio for many hours each day ...

in any case, makes DT1990 Pro HDfones seem like chump change.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
I'm fine with earbuds (for listening outside of mixing) but I started with them when they came out via the original Sony Walkmans (cassette) in the 80's - they weren't buds yet (still looked like headphones) then but same basic thing. Of course I've only ever used good ones, can't comment on the $10 pairs.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #12
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm fine with earbuds (for listening outside of mixing) but I started with them when they came out via the original Sony Walkmans (cassette) in the 80's - they weren't buds yet (still looked like headphones) then but same basic thing. Of course I've only ever used good ones, can't comment on the $10 pairs.
I've heard pretty good results from the various balanced armature type (so long as you get a good seal - otherwise no bass) and also the pricey IE800s (little brothers to my main cans). I just don't like the experience of something in the ear. Walkman phones were on ear - that was fine at the time. I don't remember anything with dynamic drivers as small as the in ear type?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
(so long as you get a good seal - otherwise no bass)
Exactly

Quote:
I just don't like the experience of something in the ear. Walkman phones were on ear - that was fine at the time.
They were in ear, but turned sideways aka you still shoved them in until there was a seal and the bass was there. There were plenty of on ear (with foam etc.) at the time but the in ear part was why I loved the Sony's. Later that basic idea turned in to the bud style we see today minus the head gear part - but even then, the early ones weren't buds yet but that sideways design that went in the ear.

Now it is highly possible I got them separately than the cheapo's that came with them but here is what I'm talking about... Once I had a pair of those, any foam on ear models went in the trash and have ever since.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-08-2017 at 12:39 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Exactly

They were in ear, but turned sideways aka you still shoved them in until there was a seal and the bass was there. There were plenty of on ear (with foam etc.) at the time but the in ear part was why I loved the Sony's. Later that basic idea turned in to the bud style we see today minus the head gear part - but even then, the early ones weren't buds yet but that sideways design that went in the ear.

Now it is highly possible I got them separately than the cheapo's that came with them but here is what I'm talking about... Once I had a pair of those, any foam on ear models went in the trash and have ever since.

Never seen that type. Just the on ear ones.

Walkman headphones were standard dynamic headphones, a little like regular box speaker drive units scaled down (most earbuds - including the IE800s I mentioned are this type too).
The in ear type I am on about is a slightly different tech called balanced armature. Explained crudely here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uzFhlpKIvM

Another:
https://youtu.be/T7dc8kAp4rc?t=56
Old 10-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #15
EvilDragon

One can't go wrong with Beyers...

Damn, this means I need to get these lol! Don't get me wrong, I love how my DT880 sound, but they do start hurting a bit after about 60-90 minutes of use... Or maybe my head/ears are just not designed for that spec
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #16
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes you can, you have to get the right Beyers.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #17
sostenuto

Check out Step Two and Three ....

https://www.64audio.com/how-to-order
Old 10-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #18
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
Try out the Sonarworks headphone correction software - for me the corrected curves make the switch between speaker and cans very easy. In fact I am surprised how close to one another they can sound corrected, considering both aren't that "high-end".
I use Sonarworks Reference 3 on REAPER's [Monitor FX] rack for my Sennheiser HD600, HD650 and Shure SRH840. I love it! The band Faith No More happened to use it for their newest album 'Sol Invictus', which I think has a good sound.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #19
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaud View Post
Funny. I just purchased a pair last month, the DT1990 are now preferred to the Sennheiser HD700 which are roughly the same list price.

Also keep the “A” earpads on my pair, running through an SPL Phonitor.

The détachable cable is a nice addition over previous Beyerdynamic headphones.
I've heard a number of people comparing the 1990s to HD700s and coming to the same conclusion as you.
Those Phonitor amps have a pretty amazing reputation too. I've never heard one in person but I've no doubt that is a great match for the Beyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucca View Post
using beyers for years, a 990pro/250 as well. atm, never mind to change
even with a more or less low end tascam144mkII and its half-decent headphone amp, clarity in any freq range
Funny that you mention Tascam and 144 together. I didn't realise there was a USB interface with that model number and immediately thought of this....

Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #20
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

Damn, this means I need to get these lol! Don't get me wrong, I love how my DT880 sound, but they do start hurting a bit after about 60-90 minutes of use... Or maybe my head/ears are just not designed for that spec
I'd certainly be interested in hearing your thoughts on the 1990s compared to the 880s if you decide to audition a pair.
I've spent some more time fine tuning mixes with my 1990s yesterday and the results are consistently good when checking on my main monitors. These are definitely keepers.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #21
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
I have the BD 880 Pro, also very happy. Try out the Sonarworks headphone correction software - for me the corrected curves make the switch between speaker and cans very easy. In fact I am surprised how close to one another they can sound corrected, considering both aren't that "high-end".
I've had my eye on Sonarworks for a while now as a possibility for my Auratone Ambisonic array but I'm pretty happy with the custom EQ correction curves I've been able to configure with ReaEQ, my calibration mic and a good spectrum analyser.
As for the Beyers, they sound amazing completely flat and even more so with the Blue Ripple Binaural setup and a gentle ReaEQ tweak to match.
Quote:
Will do _ if & when

THX
Seriously, audition a pair of 1990s. You will probably be blown away by them and save yourself some money to spend on other gear.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #22
davidsguitar

Been using a set of 1770's the last year or so that I love for closed back. Still with the Senn 650 for open...these look nice.
davidsguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #23
Softsynth

Quote:
Check out Step Two and Three ....

https://www.64audio.com/how-to-order
I'm not into earbuds but these would be the way to go if you are. I know people that have been satisfied with various in ears that mould to your personal lugholes. In the case of the balanced armature type they are all like that by necessity (if not custom designed for your own lugs then they are malleable forming a seal anyway.
The one thing I didn't like when trying that type is hearing every scratchy brush of the headphone wire, and being more aware of bodily sounds inside my head (try drinking - gulp gulp).
Double Armature type were nicely detailed for modest cost comparing well to more expensive standard dynamic earbuds in terms of upper mid and treble detail. Once you got a good seal bass was adequate and good quality.

I believe if you are an older producer or audiophile and have significant hearing loss at certain frequencies then a custom designed headphone shaped for your earholes and custom EQ profile in software should outperform any good audiophile headphones without custom frequency profile adjustments.

Custom EQ profile and high grade balanced armature should get you pleasing performance without spending the big money.

Consider:
https://www.etymotic.com/about-us

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/ho...ring-test.html

Last edited by Softsynth; 10-09-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #24
sostenuto

Quote:
I'm not into earbuds but these would be the way to go if you are. I know people that have been satisfied with various in ears that mould to your personal lugholes. In the case of the balanced armature type they are all like that by necessity (if not custom designed for your own lugs then they are malleable forming a seal anyway.
The one thing I didn't like when trying that type is hearing every scratchy brush of the headphone wire, and being more aware of bodily sounds inside my head (try drinking - gulp gulp).
Double Armature type were nicely detailed for modest cost comparing well to more expensive standard dynamic earbuds in terms of upper mid and treble detail. Once you got a good seal bass was adequate and good quality.

I believe if you are an older producer or audiophile and have significant hearing loss at certain frequencies then a custom designed headphone shaped for your earholes and custom EQ profile in software should outperform any good audiophile headphones without custom frequency profile adjustments.

Custom EQ profile and high grade balanced armature should get you pleasing performance without spending the big money.

Consider:
https://www.etymotic.com/about-us

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/ho...ring-test.html
Appreciate this Reference ! Do not have any sense of potential for good HD_Phones and EQ .. to augment my aging loss of hi-freq sound response ... >5KHz.

In 'general' I hear reasonably well and would much prefer headphone amp/headphones/ calibrate software / OR some EQ compensation ..... IF ... it can bring 'what I hear' into conformity with younger, un-damaged ears. Have no clue about this and hesitate to spend big $$$ until some sense of how much my current hearing can be optimized.

Gonna spend some serious time and effort now ... to work with older Sennheiser HD_phones, Saffire Pro14(s), and couple good EQ plugins ..... , to learn what may be possible.

Until 64-audio offers some sort of 'guarantee' of improved 'music frequency range' hearing, spending upwards of $1K is not gonna happen.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:19 AM   #25
bucca

Quote:
Funny that you mention Tascam and 144 together. I didn't realise there was a USB interface with that model number and immediately thought of this....

huuuuuuh, the early 80s, reminiscing on funny times
Old 10-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #26
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsguitar View Post
Been using a set of 1770's the last year or so that I love for closed back. Still with the Senn 650 for open...these look nice.
The HD600, 650 & 700 all get great reviews. They are well established standards. Most of the reviews I read from people who have heard both the Sennheiser and Beyer 1990s have very favourable words for the Beyers. That's one of the things that lead me in that direction.
Quote:
Gonna spend some serious time and effort now ... to work with older Sennheiser HD_phones, Saffire Pro14(s), and couple good EQ plugins ..... , to learn what may be possible.

Until 64-audio offers some sort of 'guarantee' of improved 'music frequency range' hearing, spending upwards of $1K is not gonna happen.
That's pretty much what I'd be recommending too. Tweak what you already have. You might just come up with something very pleasing without spending anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucca View Post
huuuuuuh, the early 80s, reminiscing on funny times
As much as I have fond memories of my early recording days, I would never leave the REAPER world to go back to a Portastudio!!
I have to admit though that one of the tracks on my first CD album release when I was part of an electronic music duo in the early 90s was recorded on a Yamaha MT100 four track and mixed to TDK SAX90 cassette on a Teac stereo deck I modified and re-biased to run at double speed through a DBX154 NR unit. It was a performance that we loved and we didn't want to lose the vibe trying to recreate it on better equipment. Nobody came to us and complained about the sound quality of that track. It actually didn't sound too shabby.

Last edited by Dannii; 10-13-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #27
cassembler

Quote:
The HD600, 650 & 700 all get great reviews. They are well established standards. Most of the reviews I read from people who have heard both the Sennheiser and Beyer 1990s have very favourable words for the Beyers. That's one of the things that lead me in that direction.
I'm married to my pair of 650s, and they're gorgeous to my ears (seriously), but if we ever split up I'll check these out.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #28
cassembler

Quote:
As much as I have fond memories of my early recording days, I would never leave the REAPER world to go back to a Portastudio!!
Fond memories of needing to both:
a) nail the take
b) nail the punch

It was teamwork back then
Old 10-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #29
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassembler View Post
Fond memories of needing to both:
a) nail the take
b) nail the punch

It was teamwork back then
Indeed. Nailing the punch was more about consistent playing than precisely timing the record enable button, especially when it was a "no gap" punch in/out.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #30
JHughes
Banned

HD600 user here.

I really, really wanted to like the Sonarworks plugin. But something about the EQ they use seemed to mess with the sound (phase issue?) so that, even though frequencies seemed more balanced, clarity and focus were lost, and in the end the tradeoff wasn't worth it, especially considering the price which to me is a bit high, even on sale.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #31
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
HD600 user here.

I really, really wanted to like the Sonarworks plugin. But something about the EQ they use seemed to mess with the sound (phase issue?) so that, even though frequencies seemed more balanced, clarity and focus were lost, and in the end the tradeoff wasn't worth it, especially considering the price which to me is a bit high, even on sale.
Appreciate your experience(s). Probably spend on these DT1990 and learn to use proper EQ to help my 'rolloff' above 4KHz.
Was headed for HD600 after long time lurking, but these Beyers seem worth a serious look.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #32
Softsynth

Quote:
Appreciate your experience(s). Probably spend on these DT1990 and learn to use proper EQ to help my 'rolloff' above 4KHz.
Was headed for HD600 after long time lurking, but these Beyers seem worth a serious look.
Have a listen to as many options as possible.
You need to be comfortable with them on your head, never mind reviewers. You need to get a reasonable length demo to feel how comfortable they are after an extended listening period. Better still when you decide on a pair get an extended home demo, if feasible.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #33
sostenuto

Quote:
Have a listen to as many options as possible.
You need to be comfortable with them on your head, never mind reviewers. You need to get a reasonable length demo to feel how comfortable they are after an extended listening period. Better still when you decide on a pair get an extended home demo, if feasible.
Will search a bit for sources ... smaller town here and lower-tier BestBuy is only local.
Sweetwater/Amazon have for $599., and Amazon is darn good re. returns ....

PluginGuru weekly Livestream today and he loves his 64 Audio custom earbuds for pro/commercial production work !

Wonder why ??? _ https://www.64audio.com/product/1964...In-Ear-Monitor

Build-time _3 weeks + local ear impressions and validation. Could have by holidays?

Last edited by sostenuto; 10-14-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #34
Softsynth

Quote:
Will search a bit for sources ... smaller town here and lower-tier BestBuy is only local.

PluginGuru weekly Livestream today and he loves his 64 Audio custom earbuds for pro/commercial production work !

Wonder why ??? _ https://www.64audio.com/product/1964...In-Ear-Monitor
$3k for buds, yikes!
I've heard decent results from dual and triple balanced armature, I think I heard some five way too. Those have eighteen, that has to be some fine engineering.

I don't know what options you have in the US.
Maybe try sale or return on a few options with Hi-Fi main dealers?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #35
Dannii

Now that I've had these new Beyers for a few weeks, I thought I'd add a small update here.

I've created a dedicated monitoring track template for these which incorporates a Blue Ripple Sound Binaural decoder and a ReaEQ to compensate for my ear response to the Binaural impulse model and I have to say, these cans have been REALLY helping me with my mixes. I'm finding them invaluable for small tweaks that are consistently translating extremely well not only on my studio main monitors but on other speakers too.
These cans have been WELL worth the money so far and the more I use them, the more I love them.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #36
sostenuto

Quote:
Now that I've had these new Beyers for a few weeks, I thought I'd add a small update here.

I've created a dedicated monitoring track template for these which incorporates a Blue Ripple Sound Binaural decoder and a ReaEQ to compensate for my ear response to the Binaural impulse model and I have to say, these cans have been REALLY helping me with my mixes. I'm finding them invaluable for small tweaks that are consistently translating extremely well not only on my studio main monitors but on other speakers too.
These cans have been WELL worth the money so far and the more I use them, the more I love them.
Cool to see Update ! These are now top priority, and very confident they will add notably over older Sennheisers. Really glad these continue to do well for you!

THX!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #37
ivansc

Dave - forgot to say I bought MY AKG K240DFs and a pair of K141Ns from Nicholson Pro Audio in Nashville in 1983 and both are still going strong.

Needless to say the 141s are for visitors....
Glad you are enjoying those Beyers. Hopefully they are more comfortable than all the Beyers I ever tried.
Got the AKGs because they were comfortable as well as decent sounding t the time.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #38
lolilol1975

Quote:
Seriously, audition a pair of 1990s. You will probably be blown away by them and save yourself some money to spend on other gear.
I will avoid listening to them, just BECAUSE I will be blown away by them AND I want to save myself some money to spend on other gear.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:43 AM   #39
Dannii

Quote:
Cool to see Update ! These are now top priority, and very confident they will add notably over older Sennheisers. Really glad these continue to do well for you!

THX!
You won't be disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Dave - forgot to say I bought MY AKG K240DFs and a pair of K141Ns from Nicholson Pro Audio in Nashville in 1983 and both are still going strong.

Needless to say the 141s are for visitors....
Glad you are enjoying those Beyers. Hopefully they are more comfortable than all the Beyers I ever tried.
Got the AKGs because they were comfortable as well as decent sounding t the time.
I share your thoughts on the AKGs. They are certainly robust. I don't know how many times I've stepped on the cables and pulled them off my head or put chair legs on top of the cables and they're still working decades later!
Regarding comfort, my AKGs probably need the pads replaced. They're not as comfortable as they once were. My ears actually slightly touch the inside cloth covering the drivers so no doubt the pads have compressed somewhat. This makes them a little uncomfortable for extended use.
These Beyers are extremely comfortable. I have no issues wearing them for extended periods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
I will avoid listening to them, just BECAUSE I will be blown away by them AND I want to save myself some money to spend on other gear.
That's legit!! You WILL want a pair IMMEDIATELY if you listen to them!!