Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 02-23-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Default v5.79pre2 - February 23 2018

v5.79pre2 - February 23 2018
  • + FX: fix updating bypass checkbox in floating window when bypassed from FX chain window [t=203451]
  • + FX: optionally show assigned shortcuts in the Add FX dialog (Options/Show in FX list)
  • + MIDI: add options for displaying CC lanes in arrange view: no lanes, first lane visible in MIDI editor, one combined lane, or multiple lanes
  • + ReaSurround: fix automation of knob-based controls [t=201871]
  • + Ruler: fix grid drawing inaccuracy when zoomed in and grid set to triplets [p=1957656]
  • # Automation items: "split under mouse cursor" actions work on automation items
  • # FX: refresh action list dialog properly after deleting/editing FX shortcuts
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 02-23-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
# Automation items: "split under mouse cursor" actions work on automation items
This is SUCH a workflow enhancer! Thanks!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
Mercado_Negro

The new actions to insert FXs do not work on all selected tracks at the same time. The FX is inserted only in the last touched track.

I think the FX should be inserted in all selected tracks when we run the action.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Edgemeal

Quote:
+ FX: fix updating bypass checkbox in floating window when bypassed from FX chain window [t=203451]
Still not working as expected here.
Win7 / 5.79_Pre2 / x64
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Still not working as expected here.
Could you post a screencap please?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Could you post a screencap please?
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

Last edited by Edgemeal; 02-23-2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: NEW IMAGE
Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Ah, thanks, re-fixing!
Old 02-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
The new actions to insert FXs do not work on all selected tracks at the same time. The FX is inserted only in the last touched track.

I think the FX should be inserted in all selected tracks when we run the action.
Agreed!
Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
EvilDragon

When enabling "show shortcuts" in the FX browser, then removing the option, font doesn't return to what it was. In fact, this whole browser (when "show default presets" or "show FX shortcuts" is enabled) has an entirely different font...

Layout gets borked, too.

This needs a more proper GUI refresh when toggling back/forth.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
EvilDragon

When glueing MIDI items, and MIDI editor is set to "one per track" or "one per media item", last displayed CC lanes are not remembered (if we had more than one CC lane shown, they get collapsed to just one). This works when MIDI editor is set to "one per project"...
Old 02-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #11
Edgemeal

Quote:
Ah, thanks, re-fixing!
Although a very unlikely usage case, and not sure it helps, but if you double click on one of the checkboxes repeatedly in the chain its possible another plugin checkbox state will change!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #12
mccrabney

Quote:
# Automation items: "split under mouse cursor" actions work on automation items
thanks!!! that's just great.

i see this entire subset of revision as an attempt to cover the overarching FR concept: "let item actions work on AIs"

yday i put up another FR in the FR subforum for "select all items on track" and ctrl-A "Select all items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus)"

i am sorry i'm not requesting all of these specific action revisions at the same time but i'm posting them as i see them while AIs become an established part of my workflow.

maybe it would be better to try to think of instances where AIs should NOT obey item actions rather than the other way around. i can't think of any. from stretch, split, glue, to reverse, i would think the sensible behavior would be for AIs to parallel the functionality of normal items.

Last edited by mccrabney; 02-23-2018 at 10:09 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
vanhaze

Wellsaid, exactly my 2 cents also.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #14
BenK-msx

Q:
I had a bad no warning shutdown crash on macos yesterday and have a log dump, where is best to post so it's useful and not distracting the pre chat?
Was with the .76 rc
Old 02-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #15
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Q:
I had a bad no warning shutdown crash on macos yesterday and have a log dump, where is best to post so it's useful and not distracting the pre chat?
Was with the .76 rc

You could attach it here if not too big, or post it elsewhere and link to it here? We'll probably be able to tell if it's relevant to the prereleases.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #16
ferropop

Hi guys, I'm not interjecting with a FR here; this was brought up a few pres ago and then suddenly dropped, and it's such a simple and important idea especially now that 4k monitors are a thing.

Horizontal indicator/tinting of the selected track(s) -- dropping items to the middle of the project on a 4k screen is literally a crap-shoot without this.

Is nobody else interested in this?
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #17
Vagalume

Quote:

+ 1

You are so right.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #18
schwa
Administrator

Quote:

Makes sense if you're in the track context (meaning, if you were to press the delete key, those tracks would be deleted). What if you are in the media item context (meaning, if you were to press the delete key, all selected media items would be deleted) and run the insert-FX command? Should it be inserted on all selected takes? Also, what if there are two tracks selected, and one already has the desired FX on it. If you run the command, should it just show the existing FX, or insert the same one on the other track?
Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #19
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
yes and probably lots of users! but seems secondary at this time.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #20
mccrabney

Quote:
yeah that looks great, it's kind of a crapshoot even on a 15 inch monitor.

i remember when REAPER didn't have vertical indicators when moving items, or vertical marker/region indicators!
it's so cool to be able to think back to 2007 and remember all the changes.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #21
deeb

Quote:
what if there are two tracks selected, and one already has the desired FX on it. If you run the command, should it just show the existing FX, or insert the same one on the other track?
imo this behaviour as a starting point is strange: "insert Fx if don't exist , otherwise show"? What is the benefit? any use case? compressor? equalizer? spectrum analyser?
For the sake of simplicity, apparently I would prefer seeing this happen has we all do at this moment Track FX Window and i'll click on what has been added

Quote:
What if you are in the media item context (meaning, if you were to press the delete key, all selected media items would be deleted) and run the insert-FX command? Should it be inserted on all selected takes?
i think yes, should be inserted on all selected takes , as like with selected tracks .

probably would be nice an action to show a particular fx, so that scripts could be used to adapt to everyone needs. Things like "insert Fx or show on last selected", or "insert Fx and show all", etc ..
or make it optional : )

just saying .. !

Last edited by deeb; 02-23-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #22
EvilDragon

Quote:
Makes sense if you're in the track context (meaning, if you were to press the delete key, those tracks would be deleted). What if you are in the media item context (meaning, if you were to press the delete key, all selected media items would be deleted) and run the insert-FX command? Should it be inserted on all selected takes? Also, what if there are two tracks selected, and one already has the desired FX on it. If you run the command, should it just show the existing FX, or insert the same one on the other track?
I think it should behave the same for track and media item contexts.

If an effect already exists on a track/item, do nothing, and if the effect in question has its GUI hidden, show it for last touched track or item.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #23
Edgemeal

Quote:
+ FX: optionally show assigned shortcuts in the Add FX dialog (Options/Show in FX list)
Would be nice if items were sorted (like Action list) when 'Shortcut' or 'FX' column headers are clicked.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #24
sonicowl

Regarding this:
+ FX: optionally show assigned shortcuts in the Add FX dialog (Options/Show in FX list)

When this is enabled, text in FX browser is more separated (lines get more space inbetween, row height is higher), and less fx's fit on one page. Can you please set it so that line spacing is the same as if this option is disabled?

If disabled, line spacing is the same in both panes in FX Browser. If enabled, line spacings are different. It doesn't look good, and less fx fit in space.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #25
EvilDragon

^^^ Yep. Also font is different.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #26
BenK-msx

Quote:
You could attach it here if not too big, or post it elsewhere and link to it here? We'll probably be able to tell if it's relevant to the prereleases.
thanks schwa:
this was in fact using 5.75 icc18/64 - thought i was more upto date:
I was editing and seeking playback etc. whilst using reatune manual mode fyi.

https://stash.reaper.fm/32966/Anonym...9.textClipping

cheers. i had auto save sorting me out but was a surprise and could have been nasty
Old 02-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #27
MRMJP

When I render my regions to stereo WAV, the render speed gradually ramps up when before, it was always consistent around 107x real-time. There are no plugins active or SRC needed etc. When I use 5.76 the rendering speed is correct and constant for the entire process, no ramping up form 80x to 107x.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #28
MRMJP

I'm still getting the RX focus error even without DMG plugins in the session which I falsity accused of causing this before.

Check this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/loy506017j...us_V2.mov?dl=0

When I highlight part of an item to open a copy in RX, sometimes RX is correctly focused and other times without changing anything else, the copy opens in RX, is visible for a split second, and then REAPER is visible again even though it says RX in the top menu.

I've tried resizing all windows to fit to my screen and moving my floating Monitor FX window and the issue remains.

I'm puzzled but would love to see it fixed.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #29
Triode

Quote:
I would imagine that in use I'd be selecting the tracks I actually WANT to put effects on. There are times when some eq is required before AND after compression. Personally I'd rather reaper didn't try second guessing within my selection when to insert fx and when not to.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #30
BlackBart

This is interesting...
+ MIDI: add options for displaying CC lanes in arrange view: no lanes, first lane visible in MIDI editor, one combined lane, or multiple lanes

Where are the options located?
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #31
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
This is interesting...
+ MIDI: add options for displaying CC lanes in arrange view: no lanes, first lane visible in MIDI editor, one combined lane, or multiple lanes

Where are the options located?
Preferences > Apperance > Peaks/Waveforms > Display MIDI CC lanes in...
Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #32
BlackBart

Thanks!
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #33
LugNut

Hi,
Sorry to be a party pooper, but please,please can we have the ccs not taking up so much verticle item space. Like it was.
An option to keep the old cc display.
Its killing me.
I will post the obligatory screenies in a bit.
I fear I might have to never update reaper again from 5.70.
To my eyes its gross. And distracting. And ineffective. IMHO.
Just seeing notes is a regression IMHO. It was fine how it was 5.70 IMHO.
Do ppl know about the inline midi editor? Its E.
But I'm not against having the new look as an option. Just give me my reaper midi item display back.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:54 AM   #34
schwa
Administrator

Here is a side by side comparison of 5.60 vs 5.79pre2, with the MIDI peaks option set to "one lane combining all CC data."

This is obviously not worth rolling back a version for, but maybe it looks different with other MIDI data. Do you have an example of different MIDI data where the appearance difference is more significant?

Old 02-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #35
LugNut

Quote:
Here is a side by side comparison of 5.60 vs 5.79pre2, with the MIDI peaks option set to "one lane combining all CC data."

This is obviously not worth rolling back a version for, but maybe it looks different with other MIDI data. Do you have an example of different MIDI data where the appearance difference is more significant?

Hi,
Thanks.
Yes I do , but I have to get to the studio computer. A couple of hours. It would be awesome if I just have to adjust my theme or something..but I don't think so. Its like 50% of the items verticle space is dedicated to CCS. Ss coming.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #36
stamp

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm not interjecting with a FR here; this was brought up a few pres ago and then suddenly dropped, and it's such a simple and important idea especially now that 4k monitors are a thing.

Horizontal indicator/tinting of the selected track(s) -- dropping items to the middle of the project on a 4k screen is literally a crap-shoot without this.

Since in most themes it's really difficult to see which track is selected, this would be really cool!
stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #37
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp View Post
Since in most themes it's really difficult to see which track is selected, this would be really cool!
Hi,
As long as those guides werent there all the time..that would cool. But I have no problem seeing what's selected in the theme I use.

Pm me if you'd like to try it.
Sorry for encouraging an fr in the pre release forum:-)
Old 02-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #38
nofish

Could the split actions now applying to AI's as well also include "Split items at time selection" ?
Or is there some complication I'm overlooking ?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #39
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Could the split actions now applying to AI's as well also include "Split items at time selection" ?
Or is there some complication I'm overlooking ?
i am curious too, probably with almost all items actions, because Items == Media Items or AIs
Old 02-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #40
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
As long as those guides werent there all the time..that would cool. But I have no problem seeing what's selected in the theme I use.

Pm me if you'd like to try it.
Sorry for encouraging an fr in the pre release forum:-)
In a large project: dragging a loop/sample to the correct place involves dragging it near the TCP for guidance, then horizontally following the track right to the intended location. Super clunky workflow, drags the screen Left if you go too far, etc.

There's Vertical guides for a reason - to ensure you're dropping something at the correct time location. Horizontal guides would ensure you're dropping it at the correct track, it's the exact same issue.
They could pop up only during a DRAG action, instead of being there permanently.

Dare I say that crosshairs on a grid system make some sense?
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote