Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 05-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #41
spacelabstudio
Human being with feelings

I really like the way tracks work in Reaper--having any track potentially be any kind of track is actually really powerful and convenient. So rather than doing away with that to fix the pan law issue, my suggestion would be to consider allowing an odd number of channels per track. Right now we're limited to 2 or some multiple thereof. If you could have tracks with 1 channel, then problem solved. You then only need to apply the pan law whenever you're feeding 2 channels from 1--like from your mono instrument channel to your main mix buss.

For convenience sake you can set the number of tracks on a channel automatically at recording time. If you record a mono source onto a track, flip it to one channel, otherwise leave it at two. Users can then fuck with it at will after that.

Along with this it might make sense to make the number of channels a track has easily visible without having to open a dialog.

chris
spacelabstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #42
labyrinth

So now that we have compensated pans available...this is still better if only used for mono tracks, right? (And I know they're the same in REAPER, but I mean tracks with audio that is essentially 1 channel). There is still one problem with 'Compensated Pan Laws'..the one huge reason was to get away from that increased gain effect, thus why so many DAW's use -3, -4.5, & -6 dB attenuation at the center point. Since you can not see the affects of mono summing until it's either been done or by listening to your master mix in mono, you want to do all you can to prevent hitting 0 dBFS.

Last edited by labyrinth; 06-10-2008 at 09:17 AM.
labyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:18 AM   #43
bigearz

Thanks, Justin!
bigearz is offline   Reply With Quote