Old 02-01-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
Zeno
Human being with feelings
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: HH
Posts: 925
Default VU Meter (ZenoMOD)






The VU Meter is free and open source,
but if you want to support this project,
DONATE
via
PayPal
or
Buy Me a Coffee



---


Installation guide:

Requires REAPER 6.71+

Quote:
Installation via ReaPack:

Navigate to Extensions -> ReaPack -> Browse Packages.
Enter "ZenoMOD" in the search bar.

Install:
VU Meter (ZenoMOD)
VU Meter (ZenoMOD) - UserThemes

(Both packages are necessary for the plugin to work properly)
Quote:
Installation via Stash

・Visit Stash
・Download and extract zip-file
・Read & follow instructions in README.txt

(Read README.txt with every update)


Create and share /
download
UserThemes



---


Features in v1.7.6:

・Fully resizeable vector GUI
・11 different UI styles
・2 extra User Theme slots
・3 channel modes: Stereo, Summed, Mid/Side
・VU hold needle/arc (current)
・VU hold display (current)
・Peak hold display (current/max)
・+-18dB volume slider for gain staging or automation
・Preference menu with extensive setting options
・Embedded UI - always shows SUMMED (L+R) or SUMMED (L||R)
・Context-sensitive Tooltips
・Write meter output automation
・Low on CPU


---


Choose one of 11 included UI styles
None of them meet your style? No problem:
Create your own or download one of many UserThemes.
Created by users, for users.













Write VU output:
Doesn't matter if you use it as a VU history or for creative purposes.
The possibilities are almost endless.






Lots of settings for personalization:
Font is too big or too small?
Don't like background blur?
Needle is too fast?
No problem: Adjust it to your preferences!






Make level changes directly in the mixer:
Click+drag in the MCP/TCP to adjust the volume.
Double click to reset the volume to default.






Low on CPU:
(measured @ Sample Rate of 192kHz)

Audio at input:


No audio at input - Plugin window open:


No audio at input - Plugin window closed:



---


Full changelog:
Code:
   v1.7.7:
    * Revised double-click speed for parameter reset [p=2683566]
    * Fix idle bug. The meter now correctly detects if audio is present at the left input when the input signal is panned hard left [p=2683919]
   v1.7.6:
    * Add checkmarks to right-click context menus
    * Change VU Hold Time to 2 seconds as default
    * Fix an internal code switch that causes gating in audio path [p=2681849]
    * Remove mouse wheel support from the Trackpad Support preference button
   v1.7.5:
    * Fix scrolling to max parameters on MacOS Trackpad / Touchpad when mouse over parameter
    * Fix rec circle not displayed or displayed incorrectly on some OS
    * Rephrase LOL error message a bit to avoid confusion
    * Add "VU Meter (ZenoMOD) - UserThemes" Forum-Link to LOL error message
    * Add some love to preference mask
    * Update ReaPack metadata
    * Update Stash Link
    * Update Stash README
   v1.7.4:
    * Fix tooltip drawing for the record button
    * Fix theme query in the index file
   v1.7.3:
    * Fix UI scaling issues in embedded mode at high screen resolutions [p=2609460]
    * Fix flickering at the top of the UI during initialization
    * Prevent display of tooltips when mouse is not inside the plugin UI window
    * Implement mouse wheel support
    * Implement new VU outputs utilizing polynomial regression on dbL/dbR to accurately reflect the VU scale (output respects meter options) [p=2606114]
    * Implement current VU display [p=2525714]
    * Implement current/max Peak display [p=2525714]
    * Implement current hold VU needle [p=2525714]
    * Implement current hold VU arc [p=2525714]
    * Implement Peak LED scaling [p=2541667]
    * Implement font size scaling following user interface width [p=2542022]
    * Make VU Meter value prints visible if master track panel layout is 100% and bigger [p=2534444]
    * Make VU Meter value prints visible if track panel layout is 150% and bigger [p=2534444]
    * Change display ratio in TCP/MCP embedded mode [p=2608762]
    * Rename Summed Mode channel label from "SUMMED" to "SUMMED (L+R)"
    * Redesign Tooltips and add transparent background
    * Revision of most UI styles
    * Discard intelligent hiding of UI elements
    * Discard UI Style: Mint
    * Discard UI Style: Pastel [p=2608760]
    * Add new UI Style: Moo [p=2592855]
    * Add new UI Style: Black [p=2592855]
    * Add new UI Style: Moss
    * Add User Theme support (two slots) [p=2609238]
    * Add font size adjustment slider to adapt to font size variations on different operating systems [p=2609635]
    * Add support to modify meter options in real-time [p=2615035]
    * Add functionality to reset current/max display by clicking on peak display
    * Add option to set peak display to current or max hold
    * Add option to configure the peak display / needle hold time
    * Add option to configure the VU display / needle hold time
    * Add option to configure the VU hold needle / VU hold arc (off, on, only arc, only needle)
    * Add switch for LBX stripper support (sends constant VU meter output when turned on). Set to 'off' by default
    * Add slider to configure background blur on preference mask
    * Add Rec button to the bottom bar to allow recording VU automation output  (track needs to be in write mode)
    * Add alternative Summed Mode setting: “SUMMED (L || R)” (uses a logical OR-gate to show only the highest needle deflection of the left or right channel) [p=2660450]
    * Add REAPER’s automatic output silence detection feature to change plugin state to Idle during silence when plugin window is not open
    * Add internal code switch to make sure only currently used code is processed (turns off most processing when input level is lower than -140dBFS)
    * Known bugs: LEDs light up when playback starts (I'm looking for it, armed with a big fly swatter, ready to pounce)
   v1.7.2 b:
    * fix: slider_automate() function for meter output sliders is only called if record button in Reapers transport section is pressed (fixes high cpu consumption when no meter automations are recorded).
    * fix: Channel mode labels are no longer grayed out when mouse cursor is in trigger zone for tooltips but bottom bar is not visible.
   v1.7.2:
    * fix: meter output slider scaling adjusted (ATTENTION: not backwards compatible with parameter modulation in old projects!)
    * fix: increase display probability of preferences button in case meter options page is open and bottom bar is not visible (edge case).
    * fix: bottom bar tooltips are now displayed at any possible UI scaling.
    * Channel labels now reflect selected channel mode (dagamusik).
    * Reduced visibility of channel labels in case tooltip text position is equal to that of channel labels (to improve readability of tooltips).
    * Add slider_automate() function for meter output sliders to enable meter output automations.
    * Add hidden slider for tooltip button to permanently disable tooltips by saving a plugin preset.
    * Add right-click popup menu for UI style button.
    * Add right-click popup menu for channel mode button.
    * Add Hold Time multiplication parameter for Peak LED to Meter Options Page.
   v1.7.1:
    * fix: typo in help texts corrected (Volume: Hold Ctrl, instead of Shift for fine adjustments)
    * fix: minor adjustments when certain primitives are drawn and when not (again: Pastel)
    * Add new UI Style: Ultimate
    * Add new UI Style: Mooncake
   v1.7.0:
    * fix: playback initialization bug
    * fix: intelligent hiding of UI elements
    * fix: bug when drawing primitives in embedded UI pastel.
    * fix: anti-aliasing in embedded mode
    * Default graphic height reduced
    * Hide all generic UI sliders
    * Discard  UI slider mask
    * Add settings mask
    * Add graphics slider in preference mask and bottom bar
    * Add volume adjustment in embedded UI (by aurelien)
    * Add context-sensitive mouse-over help text
   v1.6.5:
    * Add new UI Style: Warm
    * Add new UI Style: Ivory
    * Add new UI Style: Trooper
   v1.6.0:
    * UI Style overhaul for all styles except "Classic"
    * Add new bottom bar with UI Slider Mask button
    * Add version number to bottom bar
    * Proper embedded UI scaling
    * Embedded UI always shows mono sum (regardless of mode setting)
    * Some more code clean up
   v1.5.0:
    * Add Refresh Rate Override: "options:gfx_hz=60"
    * Add UI Slider Mask
    * Some code clean up
   v1.4.1:
    * Add simplified embedded UI in MCP & TCP
    * Some minor graphic optimizations
   v1.4.0:
    * Add new UI Style: BLVCK
   v1.3.4:
    * Add new UI Style: Purple
    * Add new UI Style: Ugly Child
   v1.3.3:
    * Adjust notch & value positions
   v1.3.2:
    * Add new UI Style: Modern
   v1.3.1:
    * Add hidden sliders for vu meter readout left/mid and right/side
   v1.3.0:
    * Add hidden sliders for peak LEDs left/mid and right/side
   v1.2.1:
    * Add volume slider for gain adjustments (+-18dB)
   v1.2.0:
    * Some minor modifications

   ********** MODIFICATIONS **********

   v1.1:
    * fully resizable and has a circular design now
   v1.0:
    * Initial release by chris-s on KVR Forum:
      https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476274









...

Last edited by Zeno; 06-17-2023 at 10:44 AM.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #2
Spookye
Human being with feelings
 
Spookye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Torino, Italia
Posts: 783
Default

Thanks Zeno. Very beautiful and useful. The reaction is excellent. Now having an "Insert track with VU-meter" action is a blast! Thanks 1000 for your work. Greetings from Italy
__________________
Cupboard Home Studio YT https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm8...X1912MA260ELzg
Spookye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:51 PM   #3
Tukan_Studios
Human being with feelings
 
Tukan_Studios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Studio B
Posts: 382
Default

Thanks Zeno! This helps! Very good work!
Tukan_Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:09 PM   #4
Zeno
Human being with feelings
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: HH
Posts: 925
Default

The first new UI style for the next update is ready.
Want something more "analog" looking? Well...

Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:56 PM   #5
dagamusik
Human being with feelings
 
dagamusik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Colombia
Posts: 165
Default

Thanks Zeno, amazing!
dagamusik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:55 AM   #6
Tukan_Studios
Human being with feelings
 
Tukan_Studios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Studio B
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
The first new UI style for the next update is ready.
Want something more "analog" looking? Well...

Very nice! 3d(ish) is cool! The others fit more to the 'flat'-reaper-themes. Thank you!
Tukan_Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:52 AM   #7
ramses
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,232
Default

Nice!
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #8
Zeno
Human being with feelings
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: HH
Posts: 925
Default

Update is out!

What's new?
Code:
   v1.6.5:
    * Add new UI Style: Warm
    * Add new UI Style: Ivory
    * Add new UI Style: Trooper





Last edited by Zeno; 02-04-2022 at 09:45 AM.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 11:37 AM   #9
tonalstates
Human being with feelings
 
tonalstates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 685
Default

Very nice! Thank you ZenoMOD all the colors are cool too! And resizable *chef's kiss*

is there a way to hide the volume slider and mode menu to keep the GUI clean with just the meter? Maybe a modifier on the menu button below or something? thanks
tonalstates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #10
Zeno
Human being with feelings
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: HH
Posts: 925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonalstates View Post
Very nice! Thank you ZenoMOD all the colors are cool too! And resizable *chef's kiss*

is there a way to hide the volume slider and mode menu to keep the GUI clean with just the meter? Maybe a modifier on the menu button below or something? thanks
Yes, it is possible. It's already on my to do list for the next update. So if you can wait until then, there will be an elegant solution
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:17 PM   #11
tonalstates
Human being with feelings
 
tonalstates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 685
Default

Awesome, that's just great, thank you Zeno! I'll wait no problem.
tonalstates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:30 PM   #12
aurelien
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 99
Default

Thanks Zeno, it's awesome!

I'm using a lot the MCP integration, do you think you could include a mouse drag to adjust the gain directly through the MCP UI ?
A bit like in the reaper frequency analyser JS, it would be perfect.

Thanks for your work.
aurelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:04 PM   #13
Zeno
Human being with feelings
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: HH
Posts: 925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelien View Post
I'm using a lot the MCP integration, do you think you could include a mouse drag to adjust the gain directly through the MCP UI ?
Thanks, that's a great idea! I'll put it on the list.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:50 PM   #14
zappa66
Human being with feelings
 
zappa66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Brazil
Posts: 32
Default

Thank you very much, Zeno!
This is awesome!
zappa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:08 AM   #15
xeonblack
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 37
Default

Great job, first of all I would like to thank you for a very necessary tool! I immediately remembered the best working VUs in VST format. I'm not sure if this can be implemented in the format of this plugin, but still I wanted to draw your attention to the IK Multimedia Meterbrige VU meter.

I would like to offer you an idea that can make the operation of the meter smoother and more pleasing to the eye. It seems that in the algorithm from IK Multimedia, the needle of the meter at a high speed of its movement is either smeared or simply not visible. I applied a test signal to the input of the meter with a rapid level change from -35dB to -14dB.

The screenshot shows how the needle of the meter is blurred at the moment of the highest speed of its movement. If this idea can be implemented, then it would be great.


Best regards, once again, thank you very much!
Attached Files
File Type: zip VU Meter.zip (174.0 KB, 431 views)
xeonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:37 AM   #16
Zeno
Human being with feelings
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: HH
Posts: 925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonblack View Post
Great job, first of all I would like to thank you for a very necessary tool! I immediately remembered the best working VUs in VST format. I'm not sure if this can be implemented in the format of this plugin, but still I wanted to draw your attention to the IK Multimedia Meterbrige VU meter.

I would like to offer you an idea that can make the operation of the meter smoother and more pleasing to the eye. It seems that in the algorithm from IK Multimedia, the needle of the meter at a high speed of its movement is either smeared or simply not visible. I applied a test signal to the input of the meter with a rapid level change from -35dB to -14dB.

The screenshot shows how the needle of the meter is blurred at the moment of the highest speed of its movement. If this idea can be implemented, then it would be great.


Best regards, once again, thank you very much!
Thanks for the suggestion.

When the pending updates are out, I'll experiment a bit to see if and how this could be implemented. But I can't promise that it will find its way into the plugin.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:45 PM   #17
onewayout
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Florida
Posts: 1,401
Default

[QUOTE=Zeno;2522572]


Excellent, Thx Zeno!
__________________
Win 10 I9 20 core 48g Ram always on the latest update
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:27 AM   #18
xeonblack
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

When the pending updates are out, I'll experiment a bit to see if and how this could be implemented. But I can't promise that it will find its way into the plugin.
Thanks a lot for your answer!

I attached a link to a video with a real VU meter, you can download it. If you watch this video one frame at a time, you can observe this effect in more detail.

https://www.shutterstock.com/ru/vide...cording-studio

It seems to me that this effect will greatly enliven and improve the work of the plugin. In the end, I repeat, we are dealing with a very simple addiction. The higher the speed of the VU meter needle, the more it blurs and becomes more transparent.

Perhaps, as part of the plug-in's work, for a start, you can add the effect of increasing the transparency of the needle, depending on the speed of its movement, so you can remove extra readings on the VU meter that interfere with work.
xeonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:04 AM   #19
xeonblack
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

When the pending updates are out, I'll experiment a bit to see if and how this could be implemented. But I can't promise that it will find its way into the plugin.
On frame 490, you can see that the needle is not transparent, then if you look at frame 492, you can see how the needle becomes transparent, but not blurry yet. Frame 493 clearly shows that the needle is blurred and becomes even more transparent. On frame 494, this effect is weaker, since the speed of the needle is lower. And on frame 495, you can again see how the meter needle becomes opaque again.

On frame 520, you can again see that the needle looks stable and opaque, then on frame 521, the needle is almost invisible due to its high speed of movement. On frame 522, it is also practically invisible, it is transparent and blurry. At frame 523, the speed of the needle slows down and it starts to look sharper and less transparent. In frame 524 we again see a clear needle.

I hope these observations help you improve the plugin.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Frames Video Needle VU Meter.rar (712.9 KB, 445 views)
xeonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:52 AM   #20
Zeno
Human being with feelings
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: HH
Posts: 925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonblack View Post
It seems to me that this effect will greatly enliven and improve the work of the plugin. In the end, I repeat, we are dealing with a very simple addiction. The higher the speed of the VU meter needle, the more it blurs and becomes more transparent.

Perhaps, as part of the plug-in's work, for a start, you can add the effect of increasing the transparency of the needle, depending on the speed of its movement, so you can remove extra readings on the VU meter that interfere with work.
Thanks xeonblack, I get what you mean. I already have it on my list and also have a general idea of how to implement it. But it's only theory so far and I have to see how it reacts in practice. As I said, I will experiment with it. And if the result looks good, it will find its way into the plugin, but it is not on top of my priority list right now.

I'm more focused on implementing a graphical mask for options in addition/alternatively to the UI slider mask to save screen space, implement mouse (and maybe keyboard) input for the floating and embedded UI, and condense the graphics code, which is currently unnecessarily bloated after all the graphical work.... Also, some of the things I want to implement now I have never done before. So this update currently requires a lot of research and trial and error.

Last edited by Zeno; 02-07-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:58 AM   #21
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 11,087
Default

This looks great! Thanks so much.

I'm not sure about blurring. Kind of seems like it would be nicer to look at but less useful as an actual meter...
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:28 AM   #22
Blankfiles
Human being with feelings
 
Blankfiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,474
Default

How to install it ? sorry for nub question
__________________
My Themes :I Logic V2.:I Logic V1.:I Logic NeXt.:Concerto.
Hydra.
Blankfiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:35 AM   #23
Spookye
Human being with feelings
 
Spookye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Torino, Italia
Posts: 783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankfiles View Post
How to install it ? sorry for nub question
Hi Blankfiles .... just insert it in the "Effects" folder by going from "Options >> Show Reaper resource path"
__________________
Cupboard Home Studio YT https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm8...X1912MA260ELzg
Spookye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:37 AM   #24
Blankfiles
Human being with feelings
 
Blankfiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,474
Default

Yep just find it thanks so much ! nice one
__________________
My Themes :I Logic V2.:I Logic V1.:I Logic NeXt.:Concerto.
Hydra.
Blankfiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #25
Spookye
Human being with feelings
 
Spookye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Torino, Italia
Posts: 783
Default

Hi Zeno .... thank you now for the new updates. Beautiful skins ........ Thanks 1000
__________________
Cupboard Home Studio YT https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm8...X1912MA260ELzg
Spookye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:39 PM   #26
daniboyle
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 55
Default

Hi Zeno, thanks for the great job!

Would you please consider developing the following:
- response slider unit should be ms
- UI should indicate RMS (relative to the ref level) and peak (relative to the ref level on the left and relative to dB full scale on the right) dB values
- additional PPM mode
- switchable extra needle which shows the current max VU level
- volume knob (handy for gain staging group tracks)
- label (input field for track info)

Actually, it's easier to say to make a Klanghelm VUMT replica in JSFX based on the attached manual IMO it's the best VU meter in the market, it only lacks GUI scalability, TCP/MCP integrability and labeling.
Unfortunately, PPM metering has been screwed up in the latest version (VUMT Deluxe) so I think the old version should be a reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (16.4 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (14.8 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (14.8 KB, 320 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Manual.pdf (151.6 KB, 527 views)

Last edited by daniboyle; 02-10-2022 at 06:00 PM.
daniboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:30 PM   #27
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 15,278
Default

Great !

But a bit weird that Kennies Video suggest to d/l it from the stash instead of recommending ReaPack

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:22 AM   #28
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 11,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Great !

But a bit weird that Kennies Video suggest to d/l it from the stash instead of recommending ReaPack

-Michael
ReaPack is on the to do list.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:12 AM   #29
Zeno
Human being with feelings
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: HH
Posts: 925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboyle View Post
Hi Zeno, thanks for the great job!

Would you please consider developing the following:
- response slider unit should be ms
- UI should indicate RMS (relative to the ref level) and peak (relative to the ref level on the left and relative to dB full scale on the right) dB values
- additional PPM mode
- switchable extra needle which shows the current max VU level
- volume knob (handy for gain staging group tracks)
- label (input field for track info)

Actually, it's easier to say to make a Klanghelm VUMT replica in JSFX based on the attached manual IMO it's the best VU meter in the market, it only lacks GUI scalability, TCP/MCP integrability and labeling.
Unfortunately, PPM metering has been screwed up in the latest version (VUMT Deluxe) so I think the old version should be a reference.
Hello daniboyle,
thank you for your suggestions.

The VU Meter already has a volume slider, which - like all other sliders - will be part of the graphical UI with the next update.
I prefer % for the response slider. :P
An additional needle that shows the max VU level is already in work.

I actually want to keep the meter relatively simple and in its core code close to chris-s... Just a bit modernized and with some extras. What you are asking for is another plugin.

Instead you could of course ask Tony Frenzel from Klanghelm if he would add an embedded UI for Reaper to VUMT. :P
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:01 PM   #30
rncwalker
Human being with feelings
 
rncwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Fl.
Posts: 826
Default

I really like this, but embedding into the MCP does not look good!
Can you also place the option to not have the color around the "VU" and make transparent? and also create a frame around the "VU"?


Thanks for this great VU!


Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:05 AM   #31
Zeno
Human being with feelings
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: HH
Posts: 925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
embedding into the MCP does not look good!
Is there a display error or is it not to your taste?
Because "does not look good" is a very subjective description that doesn't give me any information about what you mean by it.
So it would help if you could give me more information about what exactly is bothering you.
Additionally, a screenshot showing the problem would also help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
Can you also place the option to not have the color around the "VU" and make transparent? and also create a frame around the "VU"?
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to tell me.
The "VU" string shouldn't actually be displayed at all if the meter is embedded in the MCP.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:54 PM   #32
xeonblack
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
This looks great! Thanks so much.

I'm not sure about blurring. Kind of seems like it would be nicer to look at but less useful as an actual meter...
I partly agree with you, but at the same time, when I used the VU meter along with the test signal that I attached above, I noticed that the meter needle during rapid signal level changes shows extra values in the middle of its path.

In theory, when it moves quickly, it should not be visible, and not necessarily at this moment it should be blurry. Otherwise, we see a “stepping” movement of the meter needle, due to which it is not clear what values it shows, especially during a rapid change in signal level.

Instead of displaying multiple values distinctly, during the slowest needle movement, it displays redundant, confusing values. I do not have a ready-made solution to this problem, but there is an assumption according to which the needle of the meter cannot be displayed at all during the highest speed of its movement, or displayed in a more transparent form.

You can't say that the IK Multimedia Bridge VU meter looks disgusting? I can assume that it is too "fast", but nothing more. By the way, my monitors have a refresh rate of 75 hertz, I don't think this is the main problem.
xeonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:06 PM   #33
rncwalker
Human being with feelings
 
rncwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Fl.
Posts: 826
Default

Here is what it looks like in the MCP





Below is what Mixbus shows


Below is a mockup the VU meters, showing on the left a meter taken from Klanghelm's VUMT, the middle is yours and the right one in also yours that pasted in from the FX bin.



The more I look at this, I find that there is not much you can do, as it's a small image. I do not expect you to fix this. Is their a way I could try to change the background of the VU myself? I have got it to use the "Warm VU" as the default.

Again thank you for such a great VU meter.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:31 AM   #34
Zeno
Human being with feelings
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: HH
Posts: 925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
The more I look at this, I find that there is not much you can do, as it's a small image. I do not expect you to fix this. Is their a way I could try to change the background of the VU myself? I have got it to use the "Warm VU" as the default.
Ok, thanks for the more detailed explanation.
If I understand you correctly, you want the VU Meter to blend in more with the theme you're using, right?

You don't have to get your hands dirty. Just tell me the name of the theme (or send me the link to the theme thread) you're using, and I'll see what I can do. I was planning on designing some more UI color styles that are theme specific anyway.

But if you want to do it yourself, check the @gfx section. There you have to change the color values for the respective ui style in the subsections
**** meter background styles ****
//EXT_FLAGS****
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #35
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 11,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Ok, thanks for the more detailed explanation.
If I understand you correctly, you want the VU Meter to blend in more with the theme you're using, right?

You don't have to get your hands dirty. Just tell me the name of the theme (or send me the link to the theme thread) you're using, and I'll see what I can do. I was planning on designing some more UI color styles that are theme specific anyway.

But if you want to do it yourself, check the @gfx section. There you have to change the color values for the respective ui style in the subsections
**** meter background styles ****
//EXT_FLAGS****
I thought it was the scaling they were talking about. Not sure if it's something you can change but it does get pixelated when embedded in the MCP.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:46 PM   #36
xeonblack
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Thanks xeonblack, I get what you mean. I already have it on my list and also have a general idea of how to implement it. But it's only theory so far and I have to see how it reacts in practice. As I said, I will experiment with it. And if the result looks good, it will find its way into the plugin, but it is not on top of my priority list right now.

I'm more focused on implementing a graphical mask for options in addition/alternatively to the UI slider mask to save screen space, implement mouse (and maybe keyboard) input for the floating and embedded UI, and condense the graphics code, which is currently unnecessarily bloated after all the graphical work.... Also, some of the things I want to implement now I have never done before. So this update currently requires a lot of research and trial and error.
Found that ASIO driver buffer size affects the operation of the VU meter. At buffer size of 32 samples, it runs much smoother, and at buffer size of 2048 samples, there is an abrupt movement of the measuring needle.

Is it possible to make the VU meter work equally smoothly with any ASIO driver buffer size?

Last edited by xeonblack; 02-16-2022 at 04:09 PM.
xeonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:33 PM   #37
rncwalker
Human being with feelings
 
rncwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Fl.
Posts: 826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
If I understand you correctly, you want the VU Meter to blend in more with the theme you're using, right?

Just tell me the name of the theme (or send me the link to the theme thread) you're using, and I'll see what I can do.
Yes to "blend in with the theme" I think transparent would work the best? (I do not know if that would do it.).
I'm using the Warm VU, it works best with my theme.


My theme is a highly modified theme from WT and I also use some color adjustment from the Theme adjuster. That may cause some problems, again Don't know.

Would I also be able to change the VU meter it self?

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:30 AM   #38
Zeno
Human being with feelings
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: HH
Posts: 925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I thought it was the scaling they were talking about. Not sure if it's something you can change but it does get pixelated when embedded in the MCP.
Ooops...Yes, I can. I forgot antialiasing for embedded mode. I'll fix it. Next update.



Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonblack View Post
Found that ASIO driver buffer size affects the operation of the VU meter. At buffer size of 32 samples, it runs much smoother, and at buffer size of 2048 samples, there is an abrupt movement of the measuring needle.
I can't replicate that behavior on my end, but I have a vague idea what might be triggering it for you. See if it's still present in the next update and if so, please write me again. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
Yes to "blend in with the theme" I think transparent would work the best? (I do not know if that would do it.).
Would I also be able to change the VU meter it self?
You mean the scale? Theoretically, everything can be changed. But changing the value of the alpha channel is not enough. At least not if you do it linearly. So you can't just divide the alpha values for all objects by 2, as an example.


So my question goes to all users:

Is meter background transparency adjustment really a thing? Should i implement a slider for it? For that I would have to recalibrate the existing colors so it wouldn't be a feature for the next update, and it's really not something I'm keen on, but it would definitely be doable.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:53 AM   #39
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 11,087
Default

Great news about the anti-aliasing!

I have no need for an opacity slider. Would the alpha channel add to processing load a bit?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:03 AM   #40
rncwalker
Human being with feelings
 
rncwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Fl.
Posts: 826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Is meter background transparency adjustment really a thing? Should i implement a slider for it? For that I would have to recalibrate the existing colors so it wouldn't be a feature for the next update, and it's really not something I'm keen on, but it would definitely be doable.
Transparency is not necessary, if it is too difficult! Maybe you also give the users a choice of the color that surrounds the VU meter.


The warm looks good with my system, if you can adjust the embedded mode look some, that would be great.


Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.