Old 06-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
Xorcist
Human being with feelings

Default Stuck MIDI notes

So as much as I could single out a VST, the rash of stuck notes on various VSTs leads me to believe there is a major issue with Reaper. Anyone got a fix? Is there an option in the preferences to just send a global "MIDI NOTE OFF/PANIC OFF"?
Xorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
cfillion

Action: Send all notes off to all MIDI outputs/plug-ins. It's bound to F3 by default.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Gerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
... there is a major issue with Reaper..
http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php
Old 06-18-2017, 11:33 PM   #4
ivansc

Chicken Little: "The sky is falling!!!"

Also that is the politest RTFM I have seen in a long while.

P.S. OP: Welcome to the forums and dont mind us - I am a grumpy old fart of 73 and the others are just downright helpful, but not necessarily in the way you expected.
Maybe consider declaring a Major Issue in Reaper AFTER you are sure the problem isn`t between the seat and the screen next time?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:30 AM   #5
Gerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Also that is the politest RTFM I have seen in a long while.
After all, I am Canadian, Eh!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
Ulf3000

install 5.28 ,
since v5 i had the stuck notes ,
5.3 has it again
5.28 doesn´t so i havent upgraded since then
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:45 AM   #7
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf3000 View Post
install 5.28 ,
since v5 i had the stuck notes ,
5.3 has it again
5.28 doesn´t so i havent upgraded since then
I've had stuck notes since v4
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
Outboarder

I've had stuck notes in all major DAWs since 1996.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
Ulf3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I've had stuck notes since v4
maybe you´re right , i used reaper only since 4.7 or 4.8 .. but 5.28 seems to not have the problem it seems , maybe the devs take note
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
Dr Bob

I think you'll need to let the devs have a midi file which works in one version and exhibits stuck notes in an other version.

The way a midi file is parsed may change over a version release - sometimes a midi note off command can get confused with the wrong note if the timing has gone awry at some point.

Always a good idea to check the event list view to see what's going on around the troublesome stuck note(s). Sometimes you can fix it by editing the data fields.

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
Xorcist

Default Hahaha - WOW

Ok - so I'm not 73 but with the smattering of MIDI Stuck Notes threads here and there, this is an issue. No the sky is not falling... yet... but there is an inherent issue with this latest release v5.40/x64 rev 584a8e.

Yes, F3 works great (thank you). BUT... may I suggest based on being a beta-tester back in the "MIDI ONLY" days (Dr. T's OMEGA on the ST) as well as a user and abuser of Digital Performer since V3, there is a tracking issue and yes, it seems to crop up with VSTs. Yes, perhaps some VSTs get testy but one trick that doesn't seem to be done and should be is when you hit space bar, send that Global MIDI OFF or make it an option.

Also, I get stuck notes on starting a sequence regardless of MIDI Tracking on or of but this ties into this other issue I've noticed:

Visually, it looks like it may have something to also do with the fact that even though some MIDI notes are starting on a new measure and the pointer is on that measure, when I hit space bar, the note doesn't fire off! I have to rewind before the note-on.

So again... pretty confident it's a bug but one that's dependent on MIDI Note placement and whatever chasing events might be happening even is chase is off.

Thanks for reading!

^o^
Old 07-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
cfillion

Quote:
[...] but one trick that doesn't seem to be done and should be is when you hit space bar, send that Global MIDI OFF or make it an option.
REAPER is pretty flexible when it comes to building custom behavior and keybindings. The spacebar can be configured to both toggle playback and send an All Notes Off message by creating a custom action.

You can also gain more insight on the root cause of your stuck notes issue by inserting a MIDI Logger (such as the built-in ReaControlMIDI plugin) in the FX chain.

Last edited by cfillion; 07-19-2017 at 03:45 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:50 AM   #13
ivansc

Quote:
Ok - so I'm not 73 but with the smattering of MIDI Stuck Notes threads here and there, this is an issue. No the sky is not falling... yet... but there is an inherent issue with this latest release v5.40/x64 rev 584a8e.

Yes, F3 works great (thank you). BUT... may I suggest based on being a beta-tester back in the "MIDI ONLY" days (Dr. T's OMEGA on the ST) as well as a user and abuser of Digital Performer since V3, there is a tracking issue
^o^
Me too - Bars n Pipes Pro. I had stuck and extended MIDI notes in that too, plus in every other damn sequencer or DAW I have used (there have been many) so I still dont see this as entirely a Reaper issue. FWIW even Logic Pro9 on my Mac does it sometimes, both for me and my drummer - the reason I got a Mac and Logic in the first place!
On an intellectual level, I would like to know what causes this, but to me it has always seemed like it has something to do with the way MIDI is implemented in software in general. Somwehow I doubt this one is ever going to really get solved universally....
Old 07-19-2017, 03:35 AM   #14
srdmusic

I have seen this issue get exacerbated in the the last few versions of Reaper and in the pre-release.

There are a few instruments that seem to have more problems than others. For example Omnisphere, and East West Play seem to have the most problems. I've noticed some kontakt instruments have more problems than others but it's mostly omni and play that give me the most greef.

There real problem for me is that the action to send all midi notes off does not work on some instruments. If have to manually scroll to those instruments, disable and re-enable the instrument to get them to kill the notes. It's very cumbersome to work around this.

In Cubase, if you sent a midi note off message, you always kill all stuck notes. Which leads me to believe this more than just a note off problem.

I believe we are seeing a bug here. This same problem is happening on my two clone machines which are on Windows. I have also tested this on an Mac OSX machine with the same result.

I believe it was juliansader who brought up that some of the stuck note issues could be attributed to input quantize. I really need to be able to use input quantize so I'm hoping we can find a solution soon.

Anybody else have a magic preference or action work around for this problem?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:31 AM   #15
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
REAPER is pretty flexible when it comes to building custom behavior and keybindings. The spacebar can be configured to both toggle playback and send an All Notes Off message by creating a custom action.
This is the solution. I've done the same (except space is play/pause and tab is stop and all notes off).

Thankfully I've not had stuck notes when rendering, that would really suck.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #16
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
Most unhelpful response so far. Why are there stuck notes ? It sounds like a bug to me. I also get some stuck MIDI notes with some plugins.
Although i only have to stop/restart the song to stop it, I can't imagine this happen in a live situation. It certainly is a major bug.

It's been there for many versions now. But is it a Reaper bug or a plugin bug ? I can't say, as I can't compare with another DAW.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 07-19-2017 at 10:45 PM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #17
ivansc

loli: If you read the rest of the thread, both I and several others have experienced this in many other DAWs and sequencers since long before Reaper even existed.
Now it may possibly be that Reaper for some reason is more susceptible to this, but I am pretty sure the root cause is NOT a Reaper bug as such, else why would it have been happening all these years (since at least 1991) in other software?

And of course because it is intermittent its really hard to pin down the root causes.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #18
lolilol1975

Is it because at one point the CPU is late on real time and decides to skip the MIDI events that are late (because there is no point playing a late note), and sometimes those happen to be MIDI off ?
I have the impression (maybe I'm wrong) that the latest versions are slightly heavier on CPU, and thus this could happen more often, especially with heavy synths.

This is all speculation of course and I might very well be completely wrong. It's just some food for thought and maybe if there is some experience going in that direction it would be interesting to hear.

BTW there is a thread about it (actually several) in the Bug reports:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183737

Last edited by lolilol1975; 07-20-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #19
Xorcist

Default Digging a little deeper.

So after paying more attention (ahem) to my writing, I've come across one issue which may be contributing to the stuck notes and it has to do with copying and pasting sequences on the main layout page and POSSIBLY the time signature.

I'm working in 3/4. I have a bass line. It's copied a few times and each start time when I click on the sequence shows it starting at a 0 boundry. First note is also 0. Great. Just like it should be along with my drums.

Now, I select a sequence chunk, it highlights, I hit ^C to copy it, I click on the next empty space I want to paste the sequence and yes, the cursor jumps to the nearest 0 boundary YET THAT'S WHERE I'M WRONG. I hit paste, looks great, hit ^V^V^V^V to paste it after each other - looks fine. Then the stuck notes start.

Well looking at the sequence, it looks like it's starting at x.x.02 or .03, instead of x.x.00 so it's off just a little - this combined with my note OFFs are now slightly overlapping into the next measure block combined with hitting stop may be the source of the note off's never firing off.

And hitting space to start is in essence, firing off a NOTE OFF of a prior sequence which shouldn't be there - now while that doesn't make noise (it shouldn't), it may be introducing a mismatched counter of notes on/off ratio in a memory/code related way.

In the end, I went through my sequences, ensured everything was at 0 boundaries and guess what - no more stuck notes at all.

I noticed this while getting stuck notes on outboard gear which made me look at timings more because yea, good luck writing a fast bassline in Reaper to outboard gear using a keyboard controller (too much lag for me with my Akai MPK249 but that's ANOTHER BUG with AKAI) lol.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:51 AM   #20
ivansc

|Xorcist: Interesting stuff and you just might be onto something. I spent some time last night trying to force stuck/elongsated notes using various instruments I own and couldnt make any of them generate errors, but I do tend to edit 100% to the grid but also seldm use past past paste. I will usually cut n paste ands then elongate the pasted item to the length I want.

Going to try it your way and see if I can force errors... One other thing - that miniscule difference on cut and paste is there even when you use snap to grid?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:56 AM   #21
ivansc

Could someone please merge this thread with the one in the bug reports forum?
tA!
Old 07-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #22
Xorcist

Quote:
|One other thing - that miniscule difference on cut and paste is there even when you use snap to grid?
Hmm... my Snapping IS enabled and yes, at times I'll notice entire sequences are off a tad. Now I do override locking now and then to slide samples around but I'm not selecting anything but the one sample. Not sure if sometimes other things get effected as I never looked- again, just moving one sample - MIDI seqs are getting moved though.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:38 AM   #23
juliansader

Quote:
So after paying more attention (ahem) to my writing, I've come across one issue which may be contributing to the stuck notes and it has to do with copying and pasting sequences on the main layout page and POSSIBLY the time signature.
Could you perhaps upload a GIF screencast or RPP to illustrate the problem?
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
Xorcist

Default MIDI Timing issue of NOTE ONs as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Could you perhaps upload a GIF screencast or RPP to illustrate the problem?
Actually, let me work on that example when I get a moment but I WILL post this which may be related - MIDI triggering ON doesn't work precisely which could tie into the stuck notes off issue if you think of it on a global precision scale of MIDI timing.

https://youtu.be/7Vc7rtR7wZI
Old 07-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #25
lxm

I've had this happen forever. I brought it up a couple of times and nothing changed. Been out of the game for a bit so hope its now stopped!?
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #26
Xorcist

Default Another Clue!!!

Still having rashes of stuck notes BUT here's a clue - hopefully someone is listening.

Working on a sequence in piano roll mode. Hit space bar, plays, gets to a place where it should be a stuttered keyboard hit but stuck notes cause it to just play one continuous note.

Hit space bar to stop. Stuck notes. Hit F3 notes stop. Hit space bar again. SAME THING HAPPENS.

UNTIL when I hit space to stop it, I hit a BUNCH of F3's to send MIDI OFFs... THAT FIXED IT! Now when I hit space bar, it works properly.

So that leads me to believe one needs to look into the once again, the tracking of note on's and note off's when you stop a sequence as there seems to be some buffer tracking the note off's in an array of some sort and it's not aligned to the note on's.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:05 AM   #27
ivansc

UPDATE: Have been trying off and on to force stuck/elongated notes etc using UVI & Kontakt instruments plus a bunch of different drum romplers, individual VSTis etc., and so far I cant reproduce this in Reaper & havent been able to for at least a couple of years. Agreed - it has always been very frustrating & although I am usually fairly good at pinning down MIDI weirdness this one has followed me through Amigas to Intel PCs, AMD PCs and I dont know how many different DAWs and MIDI sequencers.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:02 AM   #28
juliansader

As cfillion advised above, try adding JSFX midi_logger before each plugin that causes trouble. Next time that a note remains stuck, report the MIDI log here.

When hitting spacebar, REAPER send *one* note-off at each pitch and channel that has an active note playing (and also resets CC64 sustain pedal). If there are multiple overlapping notes, the instrument may therefore receive fewer note-offs than note-ons.

The F3 panic action does not send actual note-offs, but rather "All note off" CC123 messages. It is up to the plugins/hardware whether they obey that CC command or not. In the case of KONTAKT, for example, the instrument settings has an "Accept all notes off" option.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #29
Xorcist

Quote:
UPDATE: Have been trying off and on to force stuck/elongated notes etc using UVI & Kontakt instruments plus a bunch of different drum romplers, individual VSTis etc., and so far I cant reproduce this in Reaper & havent been able to for at least a couple of years. Agreed - it has always been very frustrating & although I am usually fairly good at pinning down MIDI weirdness this one has followed me through Amigas to Intel PCs, AMD PCs and I dont know how many different DAWs and MIDI sequencers.
Are you using Mac or PC?
I'm on PC.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #30
Xorcist

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
As cfillion advised above, try adding JSFX midi_logger before each plugin that causes trouble. Next time that a note remains stuck, report the MIDI log here.
Will do - I now suspect this is possibly windows centric.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #31
vanhaze

No, my opinion is : it's not a Windows only issue and i think other mac users will agree;

I am quite along time Reaper OSX user and hanging midi notes is problaby the one and only most annoying issue for me, when working in Reaper with VSTi's.
I experience hanging notes with alot of VSTi's, it's not just one or 2, it's many, really many.

Hanging notes when going into Stop mode or when, in Repeat mode, the playcursor returns from loop end point to loop start point.

Doesn't matter if i use AU or VST version of a Virtual Instrument plugin.

OSX 10.12.6
Reaper 64bit version.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #32
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
Most unhelpful response so far.

The MIDI is seriously broken in the latest versions of Reaper.

As an example, the file bwv582.mid on this page: http://www.jsbach.net/midi/midi_organ.html

I have no means to know how broken this file is, but it sure unleashes hell on Reaper v5.33.

Depending on the synth, you can have this behavior:

when you press PLAY, on the second MIDI event, Synthmaster 2.8.10 switches to a random preset on his own. But if you switch back to chosen preset while it's playing, it continues playing with the latest chosen preset.

With Spire, I can get either a good read, or completely random sounds EVEN WHEN THE STOP BUTTON HAS BEEN PUSHED. And it stops only when I change preset.

With Dune 2.5 so far everything seems okay.

The problem is I can get such random results with MANY MIDI files downloaded from various websites. And I don't remember having so many MIDI issues in the past.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 08-09-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #33
vanhaze

Totally Agree.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #34
lolilol1975

Here I made a video illustrating the problem with this file in Synthmaster and Spire. You can clearly see that the preset changes as soon as I press Play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qu_pzno44E

(Sorry for not having captured the sound)

On SM: it switches from Notre-Dame to Choir Oberheim UK
On Spire: it switches from preset1 to preset20
But Dune 2.5 doesn't change preset.

That's v5.33

edit: and here is a capture of the MIDI logger with Spire when it happens

Last edited by lolilol1975; 08-09-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #35
Xorcist

Default My example of starting on beat but first note doesn't play

So simple MIDI sequence. Started 1/4 measure back, the first two notes here:

Play fine:

But started and then stopped quickly after playing when ON the beat of that same measure - NO SOUND from the two notes cause:

I'm unclear on what the 3rd # is representing... the obvious weirdness of the note ons being 0 and then 399 for the rest...
Old 08-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #36
Xorcist

And I just confirmed that those wrong MIDI notes being sent sometimes? It's not the wrong MIDI note according to MIDI Logger.... so somehow the VST is crapping out.

Can someone explain the MIDI path on the way to the VST after it runs through the MIDI Logger cause somehow it's getting shifted off by one. Always sounds like it's down by 2 notes.

OH AND JUST HAD THIS COME THROUGH.

That problem of notes not playing even though they should on the 0 boundary of a measure... check this out:

Yea, check out bottom - this shouldn't be firing off at all and breaks the time-space continuum.

Plus... why all the CC vomit?

So I'm beginning to think this is a MIDI driver issue with me... sigh...
I know the Akai MPK249 driver already has issues with major lag and Reaper on it's A channel (Hence why I'm using the B1)... I fear the worse...
Old 08-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #37
ivansc

Quote:
Are you using Mac or PC?
I'm on PC.
Both, but predominantly PC. The Mac I have used briefly with Reaper but it is most always used with Logic 9. And like I said, this also happened way back when on an Atari using Pro24 and early Cubase, and in Bars n Pipes Pro on an Amiga 1200. So from my point of view this is not only non-Reaper secific, it is also a very very old issue with MIDI and computers in general.

Incidentally, I just caught up with the rest of the thread. If the majority of times you have issues is with midi files downloaded from the net, have you really examined them closely in the Event list editor to make sure this isnt being caused by a rogue SYSEX or similar? Trying to eliminate red herrings here assuming there are any. I havent downloaded stuff from the net in years but well remember all the problems caused by people using sysex specific to a piece of hardware that buggered up other peoples systems.
My apologies if you already do this, but worth a try to hone in on the problem.

Last edited by ivansc; 08-09-2017 at 11:35 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #38
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
The MIDI is seriously broken in the latest versions of Reaper.

As an example, the file bwv582.mid on this page: http://www.jsbach.net/midi/midi_organ.html

I have no means to know how broken this file is, but it sure unleashes hell on Reaper v5.33.

On SM: it switches from Notre-Dame to Choir Oberheim UK
On Spire: it switches from preset1 to preset20
This file contains a "Program change = 19"** event without an accompanying "Bank select" event. Understandably, it will change the instrument's preset, and it will seem random since the preset will depend on whatever bank was already selected. No fault of REAPER's.

(BTW, in General MIDI, Program 19 in any bank is a church organ, as can be expected for a Bach organ work. If you play the file through a GM synth or soundfont, it should work fine.)

** MIDI counts from 0, whereas instruments usually number their presets from 1, so 19 is displayed as preset 20.

Last edited by juliansader; 08-10-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #39
juliansader

Quote:
Yea, check out bottom - this shouldn't be firing off at all and breaks the time-space continuum.
Which event are you referring to?

The very last event is the note-off for the first event. I assume that you pressed stop, in which case REAPER will automatically send such note-offs to prevent hanging notes.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #40
Xorcist

Look at the time-stamp of the last event. Impossible.
Is not that supposed to be linear time only? That event came after the others but is time-stamped before - the same as the note on.

In this example the note was heard firing on and then immediately off. It should of held for an entire measure. Me hitting the space-bar revealed this bug in that somehow the MIDI-Off event is INDEED getting sent incorrectly right after the ON ... BUT it doesn't show up in the MIDI capture UNTIL YOU STOP IT, then it shows the time-stamped offender coming in after everyone else!

Now again, this may have something to do with the Akai MPK249's USB drivers. I am no longer using them and so far, albeit it hasn't been long, have had no issues at all with anything.

^o^