Old 07-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
johan2
Human being with feelings

Default Deleting splits when multiple takes

Hello,

I am new to Reaper, as you will find out if you continue reading...

I recorded a track with several takes. I am realising that Reaper creates a "cut" (are these splits ?) at the end of every take. And when I delete a take this split remains. So for any take that I abort early, and delete, the split remains, and affects all the other takes. Is that correct ?

I read in a post, after searching quite a while, that you cannot heal splits on tracks with several takes. Or is there a way ?

So the only option I found was to move with the mouse all my splits to the end of the take, then delete the end section to get rid of these splits.

Is there a smarter way to go in all this ?

Many thanks !!

Johan
johan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
uncleswede

When I know I am going to be recording multiple takes (e.g. *any* lead guitar instrumental part!), I set a Time Selection (with a bit of lead in and lead out times) around that part of the project, turn on repeat on the transport toolbar and change the Record Mode to "Time selection auto punch" (rt-click the Record button).

There is also a config setting (Options, Audio, Loop recording) named "In loop recording, discard incomplete first or last takes..." which makes things tidier as well.

This way you get consistent length takes which are easier to manage
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
johan2

Many thank yous for your help uncleswede !!
Johan
Old 07-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
Twangothan

Also I'm fairly sure I'm right in saying it's not a real split...by which a I mean if take 2 is longer than take 1, a split appears. But if you drag the split on take 2 the non destructive rule applies - all the audio is there, unsplit. It just looks split.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
johan2

Hi Twangothan, yeah, this is what I end up doing, it actually works all right ...
Old 07-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #6
Twangothan

What I also did was make a custom action for when I'm tracking which stops, deletes the last take, goes to start and sets recording again. So if I screw up in a take I just instantly zap it.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:03 AM   #7
johan2

That's really cool !!
But then I guess after all is done you still shift to the end of the track all the "splits" that were created through the deleted takes, and then delete all that there. Correct ?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Twangothan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan2 View Post
That's really cool !!
But then I guess after all is done you still shift to the end of the track all the "splits" that were created through the deleted takes, and then delete all that there. Correct ?
Yes, though if I screw up I zap it, so all the takes which remain are pretty much the same length so I split where I need to for the comp, then crop to active takes and glue them together. It's only a problem if there's a click, which you sometimes get.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 PM   #9
johan2

Hi Twangothan,
What is this click-thing that you mention ? Is that a click-sound that gets in the file and that still remains after you removed a split ?