Old 11-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
BillyG
Human being with feelings

Default Computer Advice Needed

Hello All,

I'm currently running Reaper on my 17" 2006 MacBook Pro with 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and only 4 GB of RAM. It's running OS 10.7.5 - which is the highest OS this machine will support.

I also run EZ Drummer.

My current MacBook Pro has a very hard time with memory issues when I try to record a drum track in Reaper using EZ Drummer. I'm a drummer and I trigger EZ Drummer with a full set of pads.

Is anyone running Reaper on a Mac mini?

I'm considering either a new Mac mini with a 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor and 16 GB of RAM or a refurbished 2012 mini with a 2.3 GHz Quad-Core i7 processor and 16 GB of RAM. Both would have the same 1TB Fusion hard drive.

Those 2 machines would cost the same.

I could also up the processor in the new Mac mini to a 3.0 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 for an additional $300.

I'm told that the Quad-Core processor is best for applications that take advantage of multiple cores. I'm not sure what the case is for Reaper and EZ Drummer.

I truly appreciate any thoughts, comments, and/or advise anyone is willing to share.

Thanks!

Billy G.
BillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #2
ivansc

I recently bought a 2011 i7 quad core Mac Mini Server and it is handling anything I can throw at it both in Logic Pro9 and Reaper - with 8gb of memory. Definitely worth considering a 2012 one. Oh and I already have EZD2 and SD3 on it. Both doing fine from my Rolamd TD8 kit.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
BillyG

ivansc - Thanks for your reply. Sorry it took me so long to acknowledge it. I've decided to go with a new Mac Mini with the 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Core I7 processor, 16GB RAM, and 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Byron Dickens

More horsepower is always better!
Byron Dickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
BillyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Dickens View Post
More horsepower is always better!
This is true.

BG
Old 01-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
serr

The quad core 2.6GHz 2012 model is still the flagship model. That 2014 dual core model should still be a great choice for audio though. Perhaps even the same performance with audio even with half the CPU cores. The advice is still to shop for speed vs. cores for audio work.

It has a slightly faster idle speed but the boost speed is actually a little higher on the 2012 model. But then the 2014 model has the M.2 pci connected SSD. But then the 2012 model has 2 2.5" SATA drive bays.

Those fusion drives are a poor choice for audio. Good choice to not go with that! 2 drive bays in the 2012 model is nice but the pci connected SSD internally and then adding TB external drives would be even better performance. (Costs 4x of course.)

Sounds like a good choice for an audio machine and I'm actually not sure how much more bang for the buck spending more on a 2012 model would have been in this scenario.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
BillyG

Serr

Are you saying that the new Mac Mini is basically a 2014 version?

I definitely didn't want the Fusion drive and I will eventually add external flash drive(s) if I need the storage space.

Thanks!

BG
Old 01-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
Serr

Are you saying that the new Mac Mini is basically a 2014 version?

I definitely didn't want the Fusion drive and I will eventually add external flash drive(s) if I need the storage space.

Thanks!

BG
The late 2014 model is the newest current model of Mac Mini. If you have a 3GHz dual core i7 machine with the M.2 pci connected SSD slot - it's a late 2014. The newest big quad core model is still the late 2012 model. Starting in about 2012 is when Apple no longer refreshed their more 'pro' models every 6 months.

Anyway, weather or not you realized how all the choices lined up, you made a pretty darn good choice.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
ivansc

Worth mentioning that with the earlier 2011 through 2012 server models you get space for 2 hard drives and non-soldered in ram. Also the solid aluminium chassis, which in my household is a good idea! We are all a little on the clumsy side....

Mine is a mid 2011 2Ghz Mac Mini Server with the aluminium case, 8 gb ram expandable to 16 and a pair of regular hard drives, but you can of course swap out with an SSD which makes them even snazzier