Old 12-11-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
Julio
Human being with feelings

Default Channel->Keyswitch converter [now operational, and regenerating limbs]

Hi there, JSwamis.

I use many virtual instruments, and generally I find changing MIDI channels to be easier than using keyswitches which are outside of the instruments’ playable range, and thus tend to require lots of zooming and/or scrolling to see what’s going on. After prolonged exposure, this can lead to reap rage.

To remedy the situation, I’ve started fiddling around with some basic JS code in an attempt to use MIDI channels (that are not 1) to trigger keyswitches.

It’s working to some extent, but rather intermittently, and I have some questions.

1. Has anyone tackled this problem before, and has one working out of the box?
2. How long does a manufactured keyswitch have to be (in samples) to trigger an instrument change response?
3. Can the MIDI engine handle two events starting/finishing at the same sample time, or one starting/one ending? If not, what sort of distance does there need to be?
4. As a result of these factors, am I going to need to use memory buffers to bleed data over into the next block?
5. Is there anything else I’m missing or need to bear in mind?

Thank you in advance for any elucidation,
Julio

UPDATE: It’s here and working: you can download the latest version at https://stash.reaper.fm/2134/Midi_Channel_Keyswitcher

Last edited by Julio; 01-09-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
IXix

Probably a dumb question but what's a keyswitch? I've never heard that term before.

I think the MIDI engine can probably handle whatever you throw at it but I can't answer technical questions.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Julio

Hi IXix, and thanks for replying.

A keyswitch is basically a special note that you can play on a virtual instrument: instead of producing a pitch/scrape/whatever, it silently changes the sound set for actual notes when you play them later. An example would be switching between legato, staccato, non vibrato and sul ponticello articulations for a solo violin. Typically they live around C0,C#0 etc or way up high™ for bass instruments.

Does that make things clearer?

Julio
Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
IXix

Why not re-map some playable keys to the keyswitch notes? You could do that very easily with several existing plugins. You could selectively transpose a set of notes with MIDI Tool II or do precision remapping of individual keys with MIDI KeyMap II (get it here) or MIDI KeyMap which is included with Reaper but isn't as flexible. There are others too but those are the only ones I can think of right now.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

In ye olde Logic I took yet another route.
I built a macro that converted controller events to the keyswitching notes. That way I could use a controller lane in the MIDI editor (or from the MIDI keyboard) to trigger the appropriate keyswitch note events with different values of cc19.
I was even able to build a tiny display that showed the current articulation in plain text. Of course I had to label a dedicated display for the different instruments, which is why I quit using that display when the number of keyswitch instruments grew. Still it was smooth sailing. Good old environment... miss ya.

I am sure you can do that with JS fairly easy, and wouldn't have to struggle with timing issues. It is very likely that there is already a JS that does controller to note conversion, didn't check that.

That said, with the named notes I am very happy with directly using keyswitches apart from the zoom issue. I'd dream of having seperate note panes in the PRV that have seperate vertical scroll/zoom...

Last edited by gofer; 12-12-2008 at 06:07 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Julio

Thank you for your help, IXix and gopher!

IXix: Thanks again. That could work; the only thing is that typically I have around 10 keyswitches and need all the playable range I can get my grubby mitts on. Also, if channels work, it’ll unify my workflow across instruments.

gopher: Yeah, that sounds like the style, and independent zoomy-zoom could be really handy. If there are no timing issues then, in theory, the approach I’m taking should work fine(?), aka it may just be quirky/buggy for some reason. I’ll post my JS code here after today’s matrimonial missions, and maybe someone can show me the error of my ways, or suggest an alternative that’s more reliable.

Julio