Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
KP11520
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper on G5 w OS X 10.5.8 Question.

Hey everybody,

Please forgive me for my double (or maybe even squared) ignorance....

I just bought a used late 2005 dual 2.3 G5 PPC and installed 16 Gb of new matching RAM and it now has two 7200 RPM HDDs. I have a fresh install of Leopard 10.5.8 and iLife 2006. So, I am brand new to Mac and on top of that, I just downloaded Reaper for PPC. Double Virgin (at my age?)

I am a PTLE and PC user, but *want to get the most out of this new/used PPC and extend the life of it indefinitely. PTLE only went to 8.0.1 and is now up to 10.

I already downloaded the Avid CoreAudio drivers for Mac 7.4.2 so I can use my MBox2.

So here I am.....after downloading Reaper, it doesn't seem to be installed and I can't find any option to do so. I have to find it in the "Downloads" area and open it from there and agree to terms every time and so on.

Did I do something wrong or is this standard for Leopard and Reaper?

I hope this is not a stupid question. On my PC, when I installed anything, it is in the Applications area through Start and I usually choose to install an Icon on the Desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and help make me less stupid!'

Regards//KP
KP11520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
vdubreeze

Hey KP : )

Just a hunch, but drag the folder from the downloads folder into the Applications folder, which should be at the root level of the drive. And restart or at least log out and back in, pretty much just for the heck of it, probably not necessary. Then when you locate it next, drag the application icon to the dock until it sticks (it puts an alias there), and then launch it from there.

Also, unless I'm remembering wrong, I think Reaper puts up the alert at launch until it's a paid version.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
ned

Just mount the reaper disk image (.dmg file) and drag the reaper icon to the Applications folder shortcut on the right side of the window. This will copy reaper to the Applications folder on your OS drive. Once reaper starts it will place additional support files in ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER

Restart isn't really necessary it should run after copying to your drive (it will actually even run from the disk image, which is just a virtual drive of sorts).

Seeing how you're new to os x, here's a link from avid for optimizing os x 10.5 for audio production, general stuff that applies for most DAWs.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=349731
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
ned

Another optimization trick, you'll want to make sure the Processor Performance setting in the system preferences energy saver pane is set to 'Highest' setting, otherwise you may have problems with the processors throttling down while you system is idle and then not getting back up to speed in time when you start doing heavy cpu work.

ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
KP11520

Gentlemen,

Got it!

Dragged the Reaper Icon from the download folder to Applications and Voila.... Fish and Chips!

Will complete the rest of the suggestions tomorrow!!

So, let me say what a nice way to start here. Thank you all VERY much!

I am on my way. I inserted Any Major Dude from Pretzel Logic into Reaper and will make doing a cover my first project... As long as I can get all instruments covered by the rest of my unknown (to me anyway) band. LOL

Thanks again!

Regards//KP
KP11520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
jaeppel

Congrats on the sweet sounding vintage system. I want one.
jaeppel is offline   Reply With Quote