Old 03-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v6.05+dev0320 - March 20 2020

v6.05+dev0320 - March 20 2020
  • + MIDI: fix ignore tempo map and CC interpolation PPQ settings being reset by media going offline on file-backed MIDI items
  • # Take markers: more ReaScript fixes
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
amagalma

I can confirm that the bugs nofish reported are fixed

Could you fix this too?
Old 03-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
# Take markers: more ReaScript fixes
Yep, seems working so far, thanks.

edit:
Relating to my previous post, a way to delete take marker via API seems still not present.

Last edited by nofish; 03-21-2020 at 07:56 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
srdmusic

Default MIDI editor and arrange grid snap inconstant

In the latest few versions and in a portable install of the public version I've noticed that when I turn on snapping in the main window it does not link the same snap setting in the MIDI editor. Has anything changed in the grid settings ?

As far as I know grid snapping has always been linked between the MIDI editor and the main arrange window. So if the user toggled snapping to the grid it would globally turn snap on and off in both windows.

I have turned on the preference "Grid: Use the same grid division in arrange view and MIDI editor". Is there another option to link snapping?

I can't think of a good reason why the user would want snapping to be inconstant between the to windows. In the event that we wanted to allow the user to have inconstant snap settings that should probably be an option instead of the default as it seems confusing IMHO.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
Mordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
I can't think of a good reason why the user would want snapping to be inconstant between the to windows. In the event that we wanted to allow the user to have inconstant snap settings that should probably be an option instead of the default as it seems confusing IMHO.
I don't agree with this, and I've never noticed that the two are linked. As far as I can tell, they never were. Maybe there is a preference for this somewhere.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi View Post
I don't agree with this, and I've never noticed that the two are linked. As far as I can tell, they never were. Maybe there is a preference for this somewhere.
I have not found a preference for this but having one would be fantastic.

I personally can not understand why a user would want to be forced to remember setting the snap for two different windows. I believe a vast majority of users would expect the windows to be linked because, as far as I know, there isn't any other DAW out there that un-links those settings.

I would argue that this is confusing for any user coming from another DAW and should thus be linked by default but have an option to un-link them for users that want that for whatever reason.

Last edited by srdmusic; 03-21-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
I personally can not understand why a user would want to be forced to remember setting the snap for two different windows. I believe a vast majority of users would expect the windows to be linked because, as far as I know, there isn't any other DAW out there that un-links those settings.
This vast majority of users has apparently been inconspicuous about the issue, you won't find any mention about this too easily. Many of the snap related posts have been about getting more options for the MIDI editor snap settings, not about syncing the arrange and ME snap together.

The amount of different actions and modifiers for using them to do tasks with and without snapping might explain some of that. I have usually both arrange and the MIDI editor open at the same time and go back and forth between them. Most often I have snap on in both, and use actions with modifiers when I don't need snapping. For me this is not about remembering the snap setting I might have on either area, but rather making conscious choices depending on each case.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
This vast majority of users has apparently been inconspicuous about the issue, you won't find any mention about this too easily. Many of the snap related posts have been about getting more options for the MIDI editor snap settings, not about syncing the arrange and ME snap together.

The amount of different actions and modifiers for using them to do tasks with and without snapping might explain some of that. I have usually both arrange and the MIDI editor open at the same time and go back and forth between them. Most often I have snap on in both, and use actions with modifiers when I don't need snapping. For me this is not about remembering the snap setting I might have on either area, but rather making conscious choices depending on each case.
I totally understand the need for some users to have those snap settings un-linked. I personally want them to always be linked because it slows me down having to remember which snap setting I had set for each window. Currently, it seems that there is no way to link them so I'll move this post to a feature request.