Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
RobertWebb
Human being with feelings

Default Loop points appearing from nowhere

I'm suddenly seeing an issue where what appears to be loop points are appearing in the middle of tracks, making editing difficult and unpredictable.

See attached image. It shows a selected MIDI clip. In the properties it has looping disabled. I split the clip, and as you can see, circled in the lower part of the image, what appears to be a loop point is appearing.

It looks like a one-sided loop point, so I don't know what that means. That is, the corner is trimmed at 45 degrees on the left but not the right.

You can see that it still shows the same MIDI data as before, which would be odd if this was a loop point. When playing, it still plays the notes that were there before, but also loops back and plays some notes from the start. Very weird.

I'm using Reaper 6.42. You can see I've tempo-matched a performance, so there's tempo changes every beat, if that makes a difference.

This is pretty much preventing me from doing the edits I want. I did work around this earlier by creating a new empty clip and copying the data from the clip with the problem, but now it's happening in the new clip too.
Attached Images
File Type: png ReaperBadLoopPoints.png (18.7 KB, 203 views)
RobertWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Can you possibly make a copy of the project with just that one track and midi item in it, but including all the tempo changes, and upload it?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #3
Buy One

Not a solution of course but as a possible temporary workaround, try wiggling the item edge and see if the notch gets cleared

Don't know if it's related and is a misbehavior, but if start offset of an item with non-looped source is changed with SetMediaItemTakeInfo_Value() function the same unidirectional loop notch appears

Last edited by Buy One; 12-18-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Buy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
RobertWebb

OK I stripped it down to a simple empty clip, but kept the tempo changes. This still demonstrates the issue. If I split it anywhere the one-sided loop point appears before the split. I tried re-opening the project and it still happens. Project attached.

And you were right that jiggling the end of the clip seems to fix it.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp SplitBug.rpp (9.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 12-20-2021, 05:44 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

The issue is the partial pickup measure at the start of the project. There are some inconsistencies in how MIDI is handled when a single media item spans a partial measure. If you move the start of the MIDI item so it begins after the pickup measure, everything should behave as expected. We'll look at ways to improve this.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:55 AM   #6
RobertWebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The issue is the partial pickup measure at the start of the project. There are some inconsistencies in how MIDI is handled when a single media item spans a partial measure. If you move the start of the MIDI item so it begins after the pickup measure, everything should behave as expected. We'll look at ways to improve this.
I didn't even know that was there. They appear sometimes unintentionally after tempo changes. I often get unexpected things happening when changing the tempo. I find you especially have to avoid selecting more than one tempo points and dragging them up or down.

In this case I believe I set the first bar to 1/4 but seems I lost that. I set it back to 1/4 and it has fixed the issue (and the "*" on the second bar went away).

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:56 AM   #7
schwa
Administrator

That's actually a better solution, to explicitly set the pickup beat to be a 1/4 measure.