Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #1
bugo
Human being with feelings

Default System stability and priority in Windows

I use 32 bit Reaper v5.62 on a Windows 10 64 bit computer. Sometimes Reaper "hiccups" and momentarily freezes when playing back recordings. If I set the priority in Task Manager higher, will it affect system stability? Which level of priority is safe to use? Low, Below normal, Normal, Above normal, High or Realtime? I set it to High. Will it run any better on Realtime and will it make the system less stable?
Old 12-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #2
johnss

Why use a 32 bit Reaper, when you have a 64 bit Windows ? :-)
johnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
Stella645

This is not a usual way to go about fixing this kind of issue. You need to find the specific cause.

Give some more info about your system and when the problem occurs...is it regular or random, under heavy load or even playing a single audio track for example.

You should also download and run LatencyMon and see what it reports.

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugo View Post
I use 32 bit Reaper v5.62 on a Windows 10 64 bit computer. Sometimes Reaper "hiccups" and momentarily freezes when playing back recordings. If I set the priority in Task Manager higher, will it affect system stability? Which level of priority is safe to use? Low, Below normal, Normal, Above normal, High or Realtime? I set it to High. Will it run any better on Realtime and will it make the system less stable?
If you set it to real time, then the audio threads will have the ability to out prioritize even the mouse. So if that thread were saturating the CPU, you can't move the mouse until it is done. The best thing to do is understand why it behaving how it is, aka where the actual bottleneck is.