Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
dmarz45
Human being with feelings

Default Difference in 64 and 32 big versions?

Ok so I have both versions and the 64 bit version cant handle as much as the 32 bit version. What are the advantages of using the 64 bit version? Because the 32 bit version loads my 64 bit plugins fine. I use 32ms latency and when I use the 32 bit version it can handle way more without giving me that staticy noise.
dmarz45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
chrisharbin

tbh, I'm not sure I follow, but the reason to use an x64 plug is to have access to the extra ram 64 bit allows.

However, I have found that sometimes the x64 version will use more cpu. YMMV
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
bluzkat

Chris has it nailed for this one... 64-bit = more RAM!!

As far as which one's right for you?? Which ever works best for *you*. If the 32-bit version does all you need, there's your answer.

For the record, I recently converted my main set-up to 64-bit (Windows7 w/8GB of RAM) and absolutely love it).

Old 08-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
optical

While I have found 64bit OS, 32bit Reaper and 32bit plugins smooth and reliable...

64bit OS, 64bit Reaper and 64bit plugins (mainly) seems to use less CPU power, sometimes much, much less.

There is something not quite as smooth about the second setup though. Perhaps it is just the last few 32bit plugins which are rattling things up a little...
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
stupendousman

I have kind of a similar inquiry...

Last night I did an informal comparison of Reaper x64 and Reaper x86, opening the exact same session (at different times, of course) with all the same plugins, routing, etc. Reaper x64 ended up having a higher CPU usage and made my computer hiccup a few times (spinning beach ball, system unresponsive for a few seconds), while Reaper x86 had a lower CPU usage and seemed to run smoother. This is a little confusing to me, as I would have thought x64 to run smoother...can anybody shed some light? I'm a little dense when it comes to things like this...FYI, I'm running OSX.

On the flip side, I did notice that while Reaper x64 ran at a higher CPU usage, it was running in territory where I would have had serious playback issues using x86. So perhaps there is a tradeoff?
stupendousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
optical

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I have kind of a similar inquiry...

Last night I did an informal comparison of Reaper x64 and Reaper x86, opening the exact same session (at different times, of course) with all the same plugins, routing, etc. Reaper x64 ended up having a higher CPU usage and made my computer hiccup a few times (spinning beach ball, system unresponsive for a few seconds), while Reaper x86 had a lower CPU usage and seemed to run smoother. This is a little confusing to me, as I would have thought x64 to run smoother...can anybody shed some light? I'm a little dense when it comes to things like this...FYI, I'm running OSX.

On the flip side, I did notice that while Reaper x64 ran at a higher CPU usage, it was running in territory where I would have had serious playback issues using x86. So perhaps there is a tradeoff?

Bridged plugins use more cpu it seems, so as many 64bit plugins with 64bit Reaper (on a 64bit OS) seems to be the best objective.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Snap

Using bridged plugins is a big mess, aside of the higher CPU usage. If your VST plugs arsenal are 32-bit, keep running R4 32 until updating your plugs (or most of them) to 64 bit versions.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
stupendousman

I'm pretty sure they weren't bridged. This was using all Cockos plugs (ReaComp, ReaEQ, etc.).

All the Cockos plugs are 64 bit compatible, yes? And I should probably know this...but bridging allows one to use a 32 bit plug in a 64 bit environment, correct?

Thanks for any insight...this stuff has never quite clicked for me, so I'm trying to make sense of it.
stupendousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
optical

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I'm pretty sure they weren't bridged. This was using all Cockos plugs (ReaComp, ReaEQ, etc.).

All the Cockos plugs are 64 bit compatible, yes? And I should probably know this...but bridging allows one to use a 32 bit plug in a 64 bit environment, correct?

Thanks for any insight...this stuff has never quite clicked for me, so I'm trying to make sense of it.

32bit plugin in 64bit Reaper or 64bit plugin in 32bit Reaper...
Old 08-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
AtmanActive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
Using bridged plugins is a big mess...
Not for me, not anymore.
I can confirm that my Reaper 4 x64 plays perfectly with all of my x32 VSTfx/VSTi.
They did something to the bridge in last beta stages and now it is rock solid. I never had more stable and pleasant experience with VST technology.
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote