Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #521
hans
Human being with feelings

Yes, the copy/paste function in Pro tools is something i miss in Reaper.
I have tried the script "Script: mpl_Copy Focused FX data.lua", but it's not copying everything, unfortunately. Copying / pasting using Automation items myself until someone saves us.

I also think that the copy / paste function from pro tools could be further developed with more advanced automation functions like:

"Copy/ Paste all Focused FX window parameters envelopes including automation changes in time selection / to Time selection "
What I mean, is not just only be able to copy the current values like pro tools, but all FX automation and envelopes changes within a time selection.
Maybe an action like this could create a parent Automation Item that includes all FX settings and changes in one item, instead of having to select and scroll to copy 25 automation items.

Hoping to see a solution to this a day!

Cheers

Last edited by hans; 09-05-2020 at 01:07 PM.
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:27 AM   #522
airon

Wouldn't that be nice.

We are approaching what 2-track editors and Protools was doing in terms of selections and visualization with the new Razer Edit stuff. That is currently a work in progress in the Pre-Release forum section. They named it "Razer Edit" but it's a development from what we commonly called area selection.

That may be a good ticket to do what we need since it's so specific and has decent API stuff to perhaps implement this "copy all automation of currently focused FX in razer edit selection" , or something like it. It could be that someone already thought of this.

You may wish to bring this functionlity up in the Pre-Release section. Some folks are already coming up with scripts in this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=241604

In that thread, just look at Julians post and how he's already adpated one of his scripts to razer edits: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=131

Edit: Posted in the thread. Let's see if anyone's already done this.

Last edited by airon; 09-09-2020 at 01:42 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #523
illution

Default AutoSync Waveforms in timeline

Similar to "Pluraleyes" it would be great to be able to align waveforms from camera audio & 2nd system audio by lining up the peaks of the clapperboard or transients.
illution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #524
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by illution View Post
Similar to "Pluraleyes" it would be great to be able to align waveforms from camera audio & 2nd system audio by lining up the peaks of the clapperboard or transients.
mpl made a script that aligns takes based on audio but it's more like what vocalign does for matching vocal takes and adds stretch markers to the takes to fit each other. It wouldn't take much to adapt that to a more basic "sync takes" if you took out all the stretching parts.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #525
mrlimbic

Vordio 6.0 is now officially released. Took longer than I expected but the new website is now ready.
https://vordio.net/

What's new in 6.0
https://vordio.net/vordio-6-0-release/

Convert
https://vordio.net/convert/

Remote workflow
https://vordio.net/remote-workflow/

Compare/Reconform
https://vordio.net/reconform/

Old 02-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #526
sbungay

Default Predefined spectral edit..

Inserting a spectral edit is time consuming. I have an annoying sinus click that I need to remove hundreds or thousands of, and at 10 to 15 seconds each the time consumption for this is enormous. BTW, RX Click removal does not recognize these particular sounds as as mouth noise, but I am playing with the settings to see if I can get it to filter them out.
Anyway, being able to create a predefined spectral edit (LowerFreq, UppwerFreq, duration) that can be inserted at the hot-spot of the mouse by using a user-assigned key-combination would be fantastic!
sbungay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:01 AM   #527
airon

MPL created a few scripts a while back in a thread that discussed enhancements to spectral editing that may be of use to you. Perhaps they're a solution to this problem. It's worth a look.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=16

It is easiest to install anyones scripts via Reapack, an extension that manages scripts(and js fx and some extensions).
Old 02-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #528
Rodilab

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksound View Post
Hello! There's one feature in Pro Tools that is extremely useful for post production mixing and unfortunately isn't present in Reaper as far as I know.

Let's suppose there are a few instances of one plugin in a session. I'd like to be able to copy settings of one instance of the plugin and paste them into another instance of the plugin while being in preview automation mode and them write in the automation for the newly pasted settings to selection. It is like creating a plugin preset and recalling it in another instance of the plugin but instead of saving it to disk it is saved to clip board and all coping and recall is done via hot keys. In Pro Tools these keys are Shift+CMD+C to copy and Shift+CMD+V to paste.
"mpl_Copy Focused FX data" and "mpl_Past Focused FX data", available in ReaPack, works fine

Last edited by Rodilab; 02-28-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Rodilab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #529
hans

"mpl_Copy Focused FX data" and "mpl_Past Focused FX data" works about maybe half the time, unfortunately.
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #530
Lynx_TWO

Default Option to load everything into memory and process there

My system has 192GB of fully buffered ECC ram (as I expect many workstations do given how inexpensive RAM has become) so it might be useful under certain circumstances to have the option to simply load _everything_ into the RAM, kind of like setting up a RAM drive.

I also wish there was an option to auto-select all the buffering options to avoid any hiccups regardless of latency. It’s annoying when you have a client listening to the mix and resultant master all in real-time, and you add that last FX that you know is gonna be money; then the jitters come and make it look like your system must be old (since the average person has zero clue about the kind of stuff we need to do these days to keep up)
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:12 AM   #531
airon

We requested RAM caching just after I tried it out on PT back when Avid introduced it. The ability to load sessions off a shit USB stick or a network drive and still have instant playback and snappy response was impressive.

That's quite an undertaking. Even just 1 GB of RAM cache just for audio would be an enormous help one might think. My rig has 32 GB and even that would be plenty for the audio portion of my sessions. Video not so much but they sit on an SSD anyway.

Apart from playing sessions from a slower source, how big would the performance gains be ?

We all store audio sessions on SSDs these days. Should we just increase the media buffer sizes in Prefs/Audio/Buffering ?

Or is a RAM cache outside of what Windows/MacOS already provides that big of a boost ?

I'd love to know what developers with experience think.

Last edited by airon; 03-12-2021 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:43 PM   #532
Wills01

Default To become a big DAW

Reaper probably includes the widest and best list of features (if we add extensions) but if we see the channel strip in the mixer, the floating fx windows, the Starting Window... we see that ergonomic aspect is not at the right level to be compared with majors Daw (PT, Cubase, StudioOne... ). Please ... introduce a fine channel strip as in Cubase, studio one or Cakewalks, the possibility to view small Gui of plugins in the fx windows(not only the name)... the second point, for me, is a bad process when Reaper bugs. It seems that bugs are mainly due to plugins... it could probably be possible to introduce a safety detection in order to avoid crashes ... the last point is a detail but important... I am waiting for an operationnal action to introduce or to cancel a measure or an interval... now, the action which is named « introduction a silence » doesn’t work properly...
Old 03-17-2021, 10:44 AM   #533
mlouisgordon

Default iXML BWF metadata columns in Media Explorer

We use Reaper's Media Explorer almost exclusively when we are sound designing and pulling SFX from our library. We have tens of thousands of sounds, many with metadata embedded in their iXML and BWF chunk. We would love to be able to read and sort by these fields in the media explorer.
mlouisgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:42 AM   #534
Rodilab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlouisgordon View Post
We use Reaper's Media Explorer almost exclusively when we are sound designing and pulling SFX from our library. We have tens of thousands of sounds, many with metadata embedded in their iXML and BWF chunk. We would love to be able to read and sort by these fields in the media explorer.
Very useful !
Old 03-18-2021, 01:38 AM   #535
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills01 View Post
...<snip>
Please ... introduce a fine channel strip as in Cubase, studio one or Cakewalks, the possibility to view small Gui of plugins in the fx windows(not only the name)...
<snip>...
It already started some time ago, first with specific Reaper native plugins (ReaEQ, ReaComp,...) and is continuing by adding support for VST plugins generally (the given plugin has to support this). Take a look at the so called "+dev" releases in Pre-releases part of the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills01 View Post
...<snip>
the second point, for me, is a bad process when Reaper bugs. It seems that bugs are mainly due to plugins... it could probably be possible to introduce a safety detection in order to avoid crashes ...
<snip>...
You can set all plugins to run in separate processes (few options are available in FX Browser), so then crashing plugin will not make main Reaper app crash too.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:20 AM   #536
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlouisgordon View Post
The "Description" field is filled with the BWAV description if it's available. You can easily by that too in the media explorer.

Does the iXML stuff not show up there ?
Old 03-19-2021, 04:20 AM   #537
Rodilab

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
The "Description" field is filled with the BWAV description if it's available. You can easily by that too in the media explorer.

Does the iXML stuff not show up there ?
There is a column with all the BWF descriptions mixed in.
What would be useful is to have independent columns for important fields (present in BWF descriptions but sometimes present in iXML only).

For example a "Scene" column would allow to sort all files by scene order.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:00 AM   #538
Nirmal Dev

Default Automated Markers

I wish to see a feature that helps to add markers automatically in the first frame of every shot in the video that helps in sound editing. If its possible I'm sure that comparing old and new video cuts and doing re-edits will become easy. Digital Signal Processing on visuals is the challenging phase, or there can be a machine learning back-end to learn the pattern of the workflow, then make suggestions on adding markers based on that. Thank you!
Nirmal Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #539
Rodilab

You could try this :
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=220796
Old 05-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #540
Nirmal Dev

Thank you!
Nirmal Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #541
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidweese View Post
Even better, I'd like to see an option to automagically clean the current project directory whenever you close reaper. Everything I do gets rendered, so there's never a reason to keep the source files around.
I think this is a great idea; I would add to it though and say the files should be moved into a folder maybe labled %projectname&_%date%_%time% and then that folder should be moved to the recycle bin. Otherwise if someone has a bunch of other files in the recycle bin and wants to restore the deleted files, it could become a pain to sift through and find the right ones…

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 06-03-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #542
mlouisgordon

Current Beta (6.28 dev 0505) now has custom metadata columns. Hooray!

Would love if there was a way to have custom column views that could be tied to different Databases:

e.g. an "SFX" database could automatically include:
Artist/Album/Title/Description/USER:Location/USER:Microphone

then a "Music Loops" might show:
Artist/Genre/Album/Title/Description/BPM/Key/
mlouisgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #543
Lynx_TWO

Default Random thought…

OK, so I know that this is far outside of Reaper’s normal use however, we already have plenty of tools in Reaper for stretching audio, right? BUT when it comes to what to do when slowing down video connected to that audio, it’s always been a different story.

Enter Ai video interpolation.

RIFE is the current fastest and best one that I know of, found on GitHub here:
https://github.com/hzwer/arXiv2020-RIFE

Older (slower) Ai algorithms are DAIN and CAIN

Comparison here:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=DAIN+vs+RIFE&t=brave&ia=web

Now, I’m not sure if these could be implemented as a render option, and right now as far as I know, no one has implemented these into a software package for anything other than a multiplier of frame rate however, if Reaper had the ability built in to export interpolated video with the same ease that audio gets stretched, ie on a sine curve or similarly variably-adjustable timeline, it would be a massive industry-first.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:19 AM   #544
Hahnos

Default Field recorder

It would be great to have the field recorder function in Reaper.
It's an important feature used in Dialog Edit to restore the isolated production tracks from the production mix using metadata.
If the picture editor hasn't imported the isolated tracks and just cut with the production mix, you definitely need that.
Hahnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:33 AM   #545
Rodilab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnos View Post
It would be great to have the field recorder function in Reaper.
It's an important feature used in Dialog Edit to restore the isolated production tracks from the production mix using metadata.
If the picture editor hasn't imported the isolated tracks and just cut with the production mix, you definitely need that.
Hi,
I made a script for that. Try rodilab_Match criteria.

For metadata workflow, you could also try :

Last edited by Rodilab; 06-01-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:37 AM   #546
the19thbear

Not really only post production, but just something in general:

I want to show the envelope for what i click on in the mixer (could be extended to plugins as well, even though that is almost there). Lets say i click on a panpot (right mouse+cmd or whatever), a lane underneath my track pops up, showing pan for that specific track.
I do the same for volume, then that lane switches to showing volume instead, i do the same for send amount, the lane switches to let me see send amount. I do the same for the mute button, the lane then shows mute automation, etc etc.
Makes sense?
I don't think this is possible in reaper right now, but it sure is handy in pro tools. One of the features from Pro Tools I really miss, and saves a lot of time doing mixing.
the19thbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #547
benmrx

I know I loved the 'paste to fill' in Pro Tools when doing post..., so I made a script to essentially do the same thing with Razor edits. Works for items and envelope lanes. Great for copying automation, filling room tone, creating ambiences, and all kinds of fun.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=253851
benmrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:09 AM   #548
the19thbear

Didnt even know it was a feature in pro tools, but sounds very useful. Thanks for sharing
the19thbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:08 AM   #549
stasserov

Please add a master signal level indicator to the panel where the play-stop-record buttons are. This is useful when the mixer is closed. I know you can add a master as a track, but it takes up workspace. Thank you!
stasserov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #550
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasserov View Post
Please add a master signal level indicator to the panel where the play-stop-record buttons are.
OMG! This must be the most useful think in ages.

A small peak and a small VU box displaying small lines for each channel and a clipping indicator. It would be nice to also have it follow the meter preferences (range, ballistics, etc.)

A great idea!
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #551
benmrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasserov View Post
Please add a master signal level indicator to the panel where the play-stop-record buttons are. This is useful when the mixer is closed. I know you can add a master as a track, but it takes up workspace. Thank you!
FWIW, there's a thread in the scripts forum about adding a peak indicator for the master fader as a 'sticky' button. I just posted an updated script that should work if you want to use a standard reaper 'toolbar button'.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=59

This script a bit experimental, and sort of 'abuses' the button toggle state, so it may not be ideal for everyone. You might want to scan the thread for the 'gotchas'.

Also, I'm working on a version that uses a GFX window instead of a toolbar button that will have a few more options/features and allows you to just click the window to clear the peak (Licecap below is an older version that used a button to clear the peak), it will also change color to give feedback on levels.

WIP Example of the GFX window version.

Last edited by benmrx; 06-04-2021 at 08:51 AM.
benmrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:27 AM   #552
kp1999

Default View two independent parts of the timeline simultaneously

Hi,

I would like to use Reaper for the whole process of music production in classical music (and similar productions). For this I am missing some features:
In productions of classical music you procede to first record multitrack takes one after the other, and then you go a little bit further to the back of the timeline and start editing those takes together (this is how you would do it in protools or also here in Reaper).

--- View two independent parts of the timeline simultaneously ---

To make the Editing procedure much faster and more efficient, I would like to be able to see 2 Parts of my Timeline simultaneously, and zooming independently from eachother. This way I can see simultaneously my takes and my edit, one over the other, and very quickly jump back and forth to them.

--- Ability to undock project Tabs and freely rearrange on screen, ability to view them simultaneously ---

Also there are many people that tried to implement source-destination editing in Reaper, but in my opinion, in order for it to work purposefully, I would like to be able to see 2 Project Tabs in 2 Windows, that I can f.ex. undock, and arrange on my screen how I like (put the one topographically over the other), so that I can use one project tab as a scratch project and the other for the master edit.

Reaper is the most powerful DAW for mac, and with those 2 features, it will also become more interesting for people recording acoustic music.
kp1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:08 AM   #553
henriknet

cohler classical seems to be some awesome nerdy mod of reaper for classical productions. but way too far for my needs. that I thought could work out:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....errerid=149397
henriknet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:25 PM   #554
Lynx_TWO

Would it be helpful to add an option in Reaper that when you hit the stop button, or click on the project to hear an earlier part of the track, the audio is muted, all FX are disabled, THEN the playback is stopped, and finally all FX re-enabled and audio unmuted? (In the case of clicking on an earlier timeframe no need to stop the playback necessarily, or just auto restart playback after unmuting the audio).

I’ll often have a 50+ track project going with some heavy FX, and if I forget to bypass FX before stopping playback, it’s stutter-hell for sometimes a minute or more while Reaper has a seizure . Kinda hard to stay in the zone when that happens

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 07-21-2021 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-22-2021, 02:14 AM   #555
airon

That's a good point to bring up in the General forum, because some preference settings may be all you need to prevent this from happening. You'll get more people to look at your problem there. Of course you could send this concern to support@cockos.com as well. They might be able to help you as well.

Know what you mean. I have reverb popup greatness on my dialogue mixes.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:14 AM   #556
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
That's a good point to bring up in the General forum, because some preference settings may be all you need to prevent this from happening. You'll get more people to look at your problem there. Of course you could send this concern to support@cockos.com as well. They might be able to help you as well.

Know what you mean. I have reverb popup greatness on my dialogue mixes.
Just sent them an email! Yea it's one of those things every time I forget to hit B on the keyboard before hitting stop or clicking on a previous point in the project it's like "nooooooooo" and I gotta walk away for a minute while the stuttering commences for 2-4 minutes :P You'd think I'd have muscle memory down by now, but nope. Because I'm a human haha
Old 07-27-2021, 08:24 AM   #557
zblip2@gmail.com

Default Two Essential Features

DESTRUCTIVE RECORD:

Imagine I am mixing a 45 minutes show. I am printing Stems, a 5.1 mix and a Stereo mix as I go along. Then the productions asks me to do a touch-up in the middle of the show. DESTRUCTIVE RECORD enables me to punch in and out of that section into all these tracks without having to glue all of them to new items and waisting a huge amount of disk space for nothing.

PER CLIP SCRUBBING. For the moment, it seems the only way to scrub an audio clip is to put its track in solo and using the scroll bar header to scrub the whole project. When you make sound effects for movies, you do a heck of alot of scrubbing. Please make it possible to scrub audio clips directly.
zblip2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:29 AM   #558
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblip2@gmail.com View Post
DESTRUCTIVE RECORD:

Imagine I am mixing a 45 minutes show. I am printing Stems, a 5.1 mix and a Stereo mix as I go along. Then the productions asks me to do a touch-up in the middle of the show. DESTRUCTIVE RECORD enables me to punch in and out of that section into all these tracks without having to glue all of them to new items and waisting a huge amount of disk space for nothing.
I missed this as well and requested it over ten years ago. Not sure they'll do this with so many things on the plate.

Quote:
PER CLIP SCRUBBING. For the moment, it seems the only way to scrub an audio clip is to put its track in solo and using the scroll bar header to scrub the whole project. When you make sound effects for movies, you do a heck of alot of scrubbing. Please make it possible to scrub audio clips directly.
This is already possible. Preferences/Audio/Playback . Scrug/Jog settings on that page at the bottom. First checkbox "Only play selected tracks when scrubbing jogging".

You may need to have Reaper also select a track you click on in the arrangement if you haven't. I don't remember if that's the default.

The scrubber in Reaper is a little like walking on soap-slippery glass. Where it should be more precise it kinda plays a minimum amount of audio, so you won't get the precision you got in Protools, where I could zero in on minute clicks in dialogue. Once again it's a question of resources. They have a lot of things going on, so this works well enough for most things. Play with the configuration a bit in the preferences.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:39 AM   #559
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp1999 View Post
Hi,

I would like to use Reaper for the whole process of music production in classical music (and similar productions). For this I am missing some features:
In productions of classical music you procede to first record multitrack takes one after the other, and then you go a little bit further to the back of the timeline and start editing those takes together (this is how you would do it in protools or also here in Reaper).

--- View two independent parts of the timeline simultaneously ---

To make the Editing procedure much faster and more efficient, I would like to be able to see 2 Parts of my Timeline simultaneously, and zooming independently from eachother. This way I can see simultaneously my takes and my edit, one over the other, and very quickly jump back and forth to them.
This has been requested before.

See this discussion thread http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=86853
I've posted in that thread. Maybe others will join the fun again.

And here's the issue from the now defunct issue tracker with some graphics and stuff:
https://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3716

Quote:
--- Ability to undock project Tabs and freely rearrange on screen, ability to view them simultaneously ---

Also there are many people that tried to implement source-destination editing in Reaper, but in my opinion, in order for it to work purposefully, I would like to be able to see 2 Project Tabs in 2 Windows, that I can f.ex. undock, and arrange on my screen how I like (put the one topographically over the other), so that I can use one project tab as a scratch project and the other for the master edit.

Reaper is the most powerful DAW for mac, and with those 2 features, it will also become more interesting for people recording acoustic music.
The request above covers that too, though as already mentioned, the Cohler Classical Reaper setup actually does the 3-/4-point editing for you. For professionals, I've not seen a more comprehensive option so far. It is not free and that's fine because it truly is what I'd regard as a total conversion of Reaper. That game modding terminology and means everything was changed.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #560
zblip2@gmail.com

Default Two ESSENTIAL features

DESTRUCTIVE RECORDING

When working in film or tv you have very long mixes and you usually print many stems and formats (5.1, Stereo etc). So this amounts to alot of tracks for a lot of time. Usually, after the mixes and stems are printed, production will ask for touch-ups. This means you need to punch in and out at certain points into the main mix and stems. Pro tools enables you to do this without generating a new Item. It is called Destructive Record. In this mode, every punch-in/out is automatically consolidated into the previously printed mixes. I do not see this feature in Reaper. This means that all the touch-ups will be independent clips which will need to be glued into the existing a items using the Flue function, thus generating a whole new set of items and waisting MUCH disc space for nothing. Please implement this.

PER ITEM SCRUBBING.

When editing sound to picture you do a heck of alot of scrubbing. From what I know, the present methods to scrub an audio Item in Reaper, is to put its track in solo and dragging the project curator's handle and scroll the whole project. This is too complicated. Please implement direct item scrubbing.
zblip2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote