Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
smithyhouse1
Human being with feelings

Default Using synth & sound module with Reaper - very basic questions.

Hello Reaper Forum.
Finally at the age of 69, it is time to leave my previous set up and enter the C21st. So these are very basic questions for which I cannot find the answer in the videos, threads, tutorials, etc. (unless I've missed it somewhere).

From my 'research' it seems to me that Reaper is a no brainer for my DAW (or Sequencing Software as we fossils used to called it). I have a Roland Integra 7 and a couple of vintage synths I want to use, neither of which has Midi. I also have a PreSonus AudioBox USB 96. We are at the 'ready to connect up' stage. (I know I have to download the drivers for the Audio\Midi interface and for the Roland before we can get connecting).

I've watched the "External Keyboard or Synth in REAPER" which helps up to a point. My assumption is that I will be connecting the Integra directly to a USB port on the computer and the vintage stuff via the Mic/Inst inputs on the PreSonus and hence to another computer USB port. So far so good (?).

My old set up just used a Roland SoundCanvas 88Pro (no USB!) but the sequencing software I used was able to recognise this Sound Module and I could select the sounds directly from the sequencer without having to twiddle around with the Rolands front panel. So here's the question: when I set up the Intergra 7 as my Midi device and enable it in Reaper, can I select the sounds I want to use from the software? And where and how? This is the bit I cannot see mentioned anywhere - but apologies if I have overlooked it.

Sorry if this is achingly obvious - but this the Newbieland section!

Thanks in anticipation.

PS. Forgot to say, Integra 7 triggered by a Roland A33 Midi Keyboard Controller.

Last edited by smithyhouse1; 11-22-2020 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Adding more info
smithyhouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:56 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello smithyhouse1 and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
Yes, you can select the the sound to be played on the Integra from Reaper. To do that:
(a) define the Integra as a MIDI Output device in Reaper,
(b) select that device as the output from a Reaper track,
(c) Add a MIDI clip to the track and edit in Bank Select and Program Change events (for example. Bank MSB 85, Program 6 selects the Rock Band Set, Bank MSB 89, Bank LSB 64 and Program 3 selects the Full Grand 3 piano)
(d) or, instead of a MIDI clip, add the ReaControlMIDI plug-in to the track and select the sound from there .

For both (c) and (d) you can create a .ReaBank file which is essentially the tables in the Integra Sounds List, in a text file, to make selecting the desired sound much easier - you select the name, rather than arbitrary numbers.

Details of the above are in the Reaper User Guide.

-----------------------------
You might like to put together a diagram showing your system set-up too. Something like this, perhaps (bearing in mind I do not know the hardware and have only looked at the user manuals)?

PS Where does the audio from the Integra go? In the diagram I assumed that it goes back to the computer and Reaper (so you would also define it as an Audio device), input to another track, mixed with the other sounds and the whole lot sent out to the AudioBox and your monitors.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by DarkStar; 11-23-2020 at 08:30 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
smithyhouse1

Default Wowza!

Thank you so much for this detailed, helpful and friendly response. Once I have had time to digest it I will get back to you.
In the meantime, I sensed I was not wrong in gravitating to Reaper where it seems to me everyone is entusiastic about not only the 'product' but in enabling folk just to make their music and enjoy the process - regardless of the style, type, proficiency and depth of knowledge. This is a really healthy inclusive learning einvironment. And users clearly have a good sense of humour too!
Cheers.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
martifingers

Just want to say welcome smithyhouse. I could make a comment about how forum users are all self appointed "experts", con artists and egomaniacs but you already have the sense of humour thing sussed😉.
Look forward to "seeing" you here...
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
Mikobuntu

I'm quite new to Reaper myself @SmithyHouse ,so I might not be of much help to you, but just wanted to say wow!.. it's great to hear that you are being creative at the great age of 69 !! Keep it going.
Mikobuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithyhouse1 View Post
I sensed I was not wrong in gravitating to Reaper where it seems to me everyone is enthusiastic about not only the 'product' but in enabling folk just to make their music and enjoy the process - regardless of the style, type, proficiency and depth of knowledge. This is a really healthy inclusive learning environment. And users clearly have a good sense of humour too!
Cheers.
That's just what most people here do, most of the time. Stick with it and don't try to learn everything about Reaper all at once. Pick a musical activity /task that you want to achieve and focus on that. If you get stuck many people here can help.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
Dark Fader

Once you get into REAPER you'll find it's just like the old days, only more so.
Dark Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #8
smithyhouse1

Default Reply to DarkStar et al.

Thanks again to you and other Forum users who have chipped in with their own 'Welcomes' - what a friendly bunch!

Your diagram is virtually exactly what I had worked out. So thanks for confirming my initial thoughts here. The audio from the Integra 7 Sound Module I thought of taking to the amplifier directly from its Audio Out sockets. I am using an Amp & Speakers to monitor sound. Can't see how that won't work?

(Interesting that this, the Flagship Sound Module for Roland is actually less well endowed with connections than my old trusty Sound Canvas 88Pro which had two sets of Midi Out/In/Thru labeled A & B which could be set up in a variety of ways. Using these you could create it to act like a double sound module and have 32 discreet Midi outputs - but then thats progress for you, eh?!)

Must confess I am a little perplexed by the creation of a ".ReaBank file".
How do I do that and where does it go? Given the vast number of sounds in the Integra 7 , I can't see me typing them all out into some sort of document file! Maybe someone out there has already done this? Perhaps something for the Roland Integra 7 Users Forum?

So, nearly at the software download stage now I;ve got all the kit.
Deep breath and off we go. I'll let you know how I get on.

PS. How did you get your helpful disgram into the Thread page? Forget it - just scrolled down and seen Attachment bit!! Oh dear = be gentle with me!

Cheers
Old 11-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #9
DarkStar

A .reaBank file contains lines giving names to the various combos of Bank and Program numbers. Here is an extract from the GM.reabank installed with Reaper;

Quote:
// .reabank files define MIDI bank/program (patch) information
// for specific hardware or software devices

// A bank entry lists the MSB, LSB, and bank name
// for all the patches that follow, until the next bank entry.

Bank 121 0 General MIDI

// A program entry simply lists the program number and patch name.

0 Acoustic Grand Piano
1 Bright Acoustic Piano
2 Electric Grand Piano
3 Honky-tonk Piano
4 Electric Piano 1
5 Electric Piano 2
6 Harpsichord
7 Clavinet
8 Celesta
So you define the Bank Selection numbers (121 and 0 above), followed by the list of Program numbers and names. It is placed in a standard folder. On Windows 7, that folder is:
C:\Users\<Account name>/AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Data\program_banks\

In use (in the MIDI Editor or in the ReaControlMIDI plug-in), all you do is select the desired sound and Reaper uses the appropriate Bank and Program numbers.

You can probably copy and paste the data (getting on for 3,000 programs!) out of the Integra PDF into a text file, then do some heavy-duty editing to create the .reaBank file. If you are very lucky someone-else will have done it. Yes, I would ask on the ROland forum or even Roland Support (for a simple, tabbed, text file)

For example:
Quote:
7 Mono Grand 89 64 7 Ac .Piano
8 Rock Grand 89 64 8 Ac .Piano
9 HonkyTonk Pf 89 64 9 Ac .Piano
10 ‘76 Pure 89 64 10 Ac .Piano
11 ‘73 Pure 89 64 11 Ac .Piano
would be changed to
Quote:
Bank 89 64 SuperNATURAL Acoustic
7 Mono Grand
8 Rock Grand
9 HonkyTonk Pf
10 ‘76 Pure 89
11 ‘73 Pure 89
Phew, that wasn't difficult, but it was only 5 programs. Note that the GM ReaBank starts at program 0, but the Integra programs start at 1 in the PDF, so you may need to reduce all the program numbers by 1, I'm not sure.

For posting images: How to post screenshots (in Post #2)
Old 11-26-2020, 06:45 AM   #10
DarkStar

Or, you could start with the SONAR Instrument Definition Files.

Actually, maybe you can forget all that about .ReaBanks. Just use the Integra-7 Editor VST plug-in !

Quote:
INTEGRA-7 Editor Ver.2 can be plugged into a DAW that supports VST instruments (VSTi) or Audio Units (AU), allowing you to edit the INTEGRA-7’s studio sets, tones, and other parameters. Parameters that you edit in the editor are sent in real time to the INTEGRA-7 to apply your edits.

Since the content that you edit can be saved in the INTEGRA-7 itself, you can use the saved settings even when you create other projects on your DAW.
And, if that Editor has plug-in parameters you could even automate them from Reaper.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #11
smithyhouse1

Default Brilliant!

Hey, that's great.
Well I'll do the download of Reaper soon and then let's see how I get on.
Fingers, legs, eyes, all crossed!
Cheers DarkStar (great film by the way too).
Old 11-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #12
DarkStar

Maybe ... but click the "Inspired by ..." link in my signature
Old 10-17-2021, 03:01 AM   #13
mtech61@gmail.com

Default Migrate Cakewalk to Reaper

I have the Same problem. I am tied to Cakewalk and desperately want to get into Reaper. On the Audio Side it's no Problem. But all my work is GM/GS based midi files and to route 16 Channels to my Physical SC8850 Every time is a PITA. There must be a quicker way. In Cakewalk you set your SC-8850 (or whatever you use) as the First default Midi device and when you open a Midi File, all you Midi tracks are assigned with no user input, start work, Rinse and Repeat.

I am an Old Fart but I have customised my Cakewalk CALS to do things at Rapid speed and written my Own CALS. It appears Reaper has a similar function in the "ACTION" list?

I keep giving up on Reaper and going back to Cakewalk as 99% of my work ends up as .mid but this time I want to Persevere. The one Problem is Cakewalk instrument definitions (.ins) for various Synths. I have written for various friends for synth instrument definition lists that don't exist but it would be great if Reaper had some way of importing .ins files into ReaControlMIDI .reabank instrument lists.It looks simple but I would have to find one that contains NRPNS, RPNS,Drum maps etc. I can seem to find a list anywhere for my SC-8850 (I also have Roland VA VST as a comparison) If there was a conversion utility like Cubase has.

I also find that importing midi into project causes both the SC-8850 and Canvas VA to have stuck notes but that's probably simple.

Last edited by mtech61@gmail.com; 10-17-2021 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Wanted notifications
mtech61@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote