Old 08-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
Drummersteve
Human being with feelings

Default Using Reaper in Zoom meetings

Fairly new to Reaper, but really liking it. A fellow musician, a pianist, is using a MIDI keyboard into Reaper via USB for a sound source, and then sharing the screen in Zoom for others to listen. So the audio to Zoom is coming from Reaper. The problem is that she is listening/hearing the audio coming back through the Zoom meeting and of course there is latency. It becomes disconcerting while playing the keyboard to hear the sound delayed. She does not have an audio interface which would allow monitoring directly from the interface. My question is: How can the track(s) be configured so she monitors the sound directly from Reaper rather than back through Zoom? The simplest technique would probably be the best!
Thank you
Drummersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
superblonde.org

I use the track routing in Reaper to add an additional Hardware Output to my chosen device. So a track can immediately be sent to my imac's built-in speakers for example, although monitoring has to be turned on for this. Maybe you could add a Send to the track, which goes to a secondary track, and you route that track to the Hardware Output you want, then it doesn't matter if monitoring is enabled on the primary piano track.

you say,

" She does not have an audio interface which would allow monitoring directly from the interface."

Some electric pianos which have USB are able to route audio back to the piano (i.e. computer-to-piano) and the pianist wears headphones to hear it or the audio comes out of the piano speakers. Typically used for playing backing tracks. Therefore the piano is an audio interface which you can route audio to. My Yamaha piano has this feature. There is no noticeable latency since it is so low.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
Drummersteve

Awesome, thank you for the quick reply. I do like the idea of adding a send to go to another track and route that to the computer speaker.

I'm not sure of the specific MIDI keyboard, but that to is something to try.

I'll pass this along. Thanks again.
Drummersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
superblonde.org

But really it sounds like there is something else going on (like an audio driver problem or midi driver problem and she is on windows, not mac), because if she is playing midi-keyboard -> usb-midi -> computer -> synth midi plugin, why would there be latency from either reaper or zoom; there shouldn't be (unless she is hearing feedback from the remote participants).

Obvious thing to check is, everybody should be wearing headphones, that's the first thing, so there's no feedback (delayed sound). (Never know with musicians, some are not techies, make no assumptions)
Old 09-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
oldmanstan

I've found Zoom useless for this kind of task, and have substituted "Cleanfeed" for maximizing quality, and minimizing (though not eliminating) latency.

As superblonde said. Headphones are needed to eliminate echo. Though Cleanfeed has a lil' "no headphone" echo elimination toggle option. Which does help.
oldmanstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
superblonde.org

Zoom has added "HD Audio" in the advanced menu, in a recent update, which rumor says is similar to cleanfeed.

The other thing is stereo, I dont know the detail, but only some Zoom accounts (paid?) are stereo senders, others are mono.