Old 11-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
ChrisBlue
Human being with feelings

Default What is a Native plugin?

Just did a search on this but didn't understand the answer Is there a simple answer please?
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
Stella645

Maybe somewhat context dependent.

Usually means a plugin that runs natively on the computer rather than needing hardware acceleration like UAD boxes or SSL Duende.

Possibly a less accurate use but I think I've seen people refer to plugs being native to Reaper, Cubase, Logic etc as in they're part of the stock plugins, not third party.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
bFooz

Or maybe that native meant native for ProTools. Meaning AAX or RTAS plugin. VSTs are not tied to a specific DAW.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
vdubreeze

I've generally assumed a "native" plugin to be one that was part of the DAW or DAW purchase, such as the Rea ones in Reaper. Ones that are part of the DAW when you run it without needing to acquire elsewhere.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
Softsynth

When the word native is used with regard to Reaper it means one of the plug-ins it comes with.

As Stella mentioned native can also mean handled by the CPU instead of add in cards.

Eventide are another company that now uses the word native to imply no additional hardware acceleration cards are required/supported.
It's been a long time in terms of PC plugins since hardware like the UAD cards were needed, or perhaps even desirable to run versions of these plugins.

The hardware cards that are still available are old, dated, expensive and look underpowered today, actually limiting the amount of instances of a plugin you can run - if you were depending on the hardware acceleration.

It might be cool to get a bargain collection of accelerated plugins and one of those cards for an elderly PC though.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:10 AM   #6
ivansc

Hi again, Chris. To make it all even more complicated, there are things like the SSL Duende Native plugins which are native vst format versions of the original plugins that only worked with the SSL Duende interfaces!

I beta`d them & have a couple I got free for doing the testing, which I love. And like so many other "natives", they really are just plain old VST2 or vst3 plugins.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:24 AM   #7
valy

Lexicon has their "PCM Native" offering, which are a group of plugins that I believe use the original algorithms found in the hardware reverb units.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:24 AM   #8
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hi again, Chris. To make it all even more complicated, there are things like the SSL Duende Native plugins which are native vst format versions of the original plugins that only worked with the SSL Duende interfaces!

I beta`d them & have a couple I got free for doing the testing, which I love. And like so many other "natives", they really are just plain old VST2 or vst3 plugins.
Ivan, are you saying that SSL used the term native meaning native to their hardware rather than native to the central processor?
What a dog's dinner this "native" term is. It's come along way since grass skirts and spears!
Old 11-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #9
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Ivan, are you saying that SSL used the term native meaning native to their hardware rather than native to the central processor?
No, exactly the opposite....they had Duende hardware with the dsp plugs then they eventually released the native version to run without hardware.

IMHO this is the one accurate meaning of native plugins.

Other use (native to specific DAW) I think is a misuse and I suspect is only coming from users, not from the DAW developers who only seem to use the terms included or stock plugins.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
Phazma

What the.. who would have guessed that native means so many things. The first thing I associate with the word is native to a specific DAW (like Rea in Reaper or Fruity in FL) as already mentioned.

To add to the confusion, there is also Native Instruments which does not mean Instrument (plugins) that are native to something but is simply the name of a company that happens to sell many different kinds of software plugins and hardware
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #11
lunker

Yeah, I think the OP needs to provide context for the question.

Did someone say "Use one of Reaper's native plugins"? In that case, "native" means any of the Rea* plugins, and possibly also any of the JSFX that come with Reaper.

Or was it something else?

Interesting that OP has not been back to comment/clarify ...
lunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #12
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
No, exactly the opposite....they had Duende hardware with the dsp plugs then they eventually released the native version to run without hardware.

Other use (native to specific DAW) I think is a misuse and I suspect is only coming from users, not from the DAW developers who only seem to use the terms included or stock plugins.
I asked because Ivan appeared to be giving yet another example intended to point out something contradictory with the example I had just given. That being native plugins vs hardware versions such as the old Eventide versions and UAD before they moved everything over to native versions meaning using the CPU instead of add in PCI DSP cards.

Quote:
When the word native is used with regard to Reaper it means one of the plug-ins it comes with.

As Stella mentioned native can also mean handled by the CPU instead of add in cards.

Eventide are another company that now uses the word native to imply no additional hardware acceleration cards are required/supported.
It's been a long time in terms of PC plugins since hardware like the UAD cards were needed, or perhaps even desirable to run versions of these plugins.

The hardware cards that are still available are old, dated, expensive and look underpowered today, actually limiting the amount of instances of a plugin you can run - if you were depending on the hardware acceleration.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:38 AM   #13
Goldreap

And then there's the 'Only native (disable bridging)' option in VST bridging/firewalling preferences.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:47 AM   #14
nicholas
Scribe

Pity the poor OP who by now must be feeling overwhelmed by so much information!

I'd just add that as far as I can tell, in the context of REAPER "native" most often refers to the Rea and JS plugins.

Last edited by nicholas; 11-19-2020 at 04:57 AM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #15
ivansc

Quote:
What a dog's dinner this "native" term is. It's come along way since grass skirts and spears!

Duende was the hardware that carried the ssl plugins originally, same as on a UAD card. The "native" version was designed to work within whatever operating system the buyer was using & was referred to as being "native" to that system.

No bongoes on here, bwana.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #16
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Duende was the hardware that carried the ssl plugins originally, same as on a UAD card. The "native" version was designed to work within whatever operating system the buyer was using & was referred to as being "native" to that system.
Okay, so we're all on the same page on that version at least.

Last edited by Softsynth; 11-20-2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #17
ivansc

Quote:
Okay, so we're all on the same page on that version at least.
Yeah - gets more and more like Military Terminology all the time!
Old 11-23-2020, 07:26 AM   #18
ChrisBlue

er....well thanks for all the replies. I thought I was just showing my lack of knowledge but seems it is a bit more ambiguous. I was asking because a third party maker was stating that one of their plugins is now available as "native" so maybe Stella's answer is the relevant one. I think I'll just go with them just being good old vst's Thanks
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #19
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post

Just noticed this, Stella645 & yep - we are right!

It brings to mind the old saying " I love standards, there`s so many to choose from" doesn`t it?