Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-23-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
jkeller51
Human being with feelings

Default Weird Behavior With Custom Action

Hi,

I've created a custom action in REAPER, to be executed during recording:

When executing this action from a keyboard key, or the actions menu, it works perfectly.

However, when executing from a foot pedal connected to a MIDI controller, I am getting unexpected behavior.

When I press the foot pedal down, it executes as expected.

But when I lift my foot off the pedal, it creates a cut in my recording. It does *not* execute the whole action again (e.g. not a double trigger).

I've marked this timeline where the foot pedal events occurred:

I don't have the foot pedal assigned to anything else. I can't make heads or tails as to why this is happening, so either I am misunderstanding something or there is a bug.

Changing the MIDI CC mode (Absolute, Relative 1, Relative 2, Relative 3) does not fix the issue, though (unsurprisingly) some modes cause it to start triggering the entire action when lifting my foot off the pedal.
jkeller51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
jkeller51

Computer:
Windows 10, Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 16 GB RAM

REAPER:
6.15 x64
Old 11-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
Dave 2099

Your foot pedal may be sending a note-off when you release the pedal, or maybe it is set as momentary as opposed to switch (do I have those right?). I've got a similar problem with my FCB1010.

You can check what your pedal is sending using an app like Midi Monitor (which works well and is free). You may also be able to fix it by using one of the midi filter plug-ins (not sure, haven't tried yet myself).
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
jkeller51

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response.

It is expected that any MIDI "button" message will send 64+ when on, or 0-63 when off, and indeed this is captured from my foot pedal when I press (val=127) and release (val = 0).

Normally when I assign a simple action to a CC button (or foot pedal), like switching tracks, it "just works" -- in other words, when I press the button or foot pedal, the action executes, and when I release the button, nothing happens.

However, with this specific sequence of actions, it's doing something else when I release. I'm not sure exactly what it's doing, or why.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I could filter out the release message even if I wanted to, since the REAPER action shortcuts seem to come directly from the MIDI controller and it doesn't look like there's a way to reroute the MIDI through a track.

Last edited by jkeller51; 11-23-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: image didn't upload correctly
Old 11-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #5
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeller51 View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I could filter out the release message even if I wanted to, since the REAPER action shortcuts seem to come directly from the MIDI controller and it doesn't look like there's a way to reroute the MIDI through a track.
There are actions called "Skip next action if CC parameter..." available in the action list.
I think you could make a custom wrapper action putting "Action: Skip next action if CC parameter <0/mid" in front of your actual custom action to filter out the release message (didn't try myself though),
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote