Old 08-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
GJM
Human being with feelings

Default New PC build recommendation

Not being the saviest tech person on the planet,.. I’m looking for advise on building a semi-future proof PC. The research I’ve done so far seems to suggest Intel z490 chipsets and 10th gen i7 or i9 CPU’s. Sounds like a basic modern gaming rig. Thoughts anyone? I’m afraid of blowing my hard saved cash pile of 3 years on the wrong non-refundable Reaper Rig. Thanks
GJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
toleolu

Could you provide a few details regarding your recording requirements?

Number of tracks, simultaneous inputs, use of plugins effects etc.

You can play it safe and load up the box with a lot of top end components, but depending on what your requirements are, you may be paying for horsepower you don't need.

Unless of course budget isn't a major concern in which case if you want to build a beast, nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
Sibben

Yes. Things have changed a bit haven’t they? Unless you’re running huge track counts and very demanding plugins I’d say stability is more important these days. I would not rule out buying pre-configured systems. That way you’re avoiding a lot of possible compatibility issues. Best bang for the buck is to get good gaming gear and chuck it in a good cabinet but that has some potential pitfalls as well.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
domzy

From my (fairly limited) experience, it seems that graphics cards, wi-fi, firewire (if that's still a thing?) etc. are the things that cause problems.
It's worth checking whether the specific components you choose are known to cause DPC latency issues.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:51 PM   #5
BrentHarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
Not being the saviest tech person on the planet,.. I’m looking for advise on building a semi-future proof PC. The research I’ve done so far seems to suggest Intel z490 chipsets and 10th gen i7 or i9 CPU’s. Sounds like a basic modern gaming rig. Thoughts anyone? I’m afraid of blowing my hard saved cash pile of 3 years on the wrong non-refundable Reaper Rig. Thanks
The I9 is very good processor chip and it will work fine. Just make sure you have the right motherboard that supports it and memory. 32 GB of Memory is good 64GB of memory is great and better.

Also make sure you have good graphics card and that the motherboard has a good soundcard on it as well.
BrentHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:52 AM   #6
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentHarmon View Post
32 GB of Memory is good 64GB of memory is great and better.
The best advice I ever got about buying a computer - work out how much memory you need....
Quote:
semi-future proof
.... and then get twice that much.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #7
BrentHarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
The best advice I ever got about buying a computer - work out how much memory you need....
.... and then get twice that much.
Very true about that
Old 08-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
daniellumertz

i7 and i9 from the last gen is muuuuch more than good. If you got the budget they will be "ez" handling what you do in Reaper for a good amount of years. I think if you need to save a little money (maybe to expend in other parts ) consider also the i5 from last gen, they will do a good job to , actually the i3 will also but not very future-proof.

don't forget to get a good SSD (I like Samsung EVO), and as been said a good amount of RAM
I would say
8 - Hard Mode
16 - OK
32 - GOOD <- I am here
64 - ohboy, i wish....

Have silent parts like fans, coolers, PSU very important IMHO...

oh, about videocards, Idk much about. I use the one that comes with mine i5 8400, it handles 3 screens in HD, and it does a good job in premier and after effects even.... Games not soo much but I'm ok with that. Maybe in the future I get an 1650super or 1050, but I don't feel the need really
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
BrentHarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
i7 and i9 from the last gen is muuuuch more than good. If you got the budget they will be "ez" handling what you do in Reaper for a good amount of years. I think if you need to save a little money (maybe to expend in other parts ) consider also the i5 from last gen, they will do a good job to , actually the i3 will also but not very future-proof.

don't forget to get a good SSD (I like Samsung EVO), and as been said a good amount of RAM
I would say
8 - Hard Mode
16 - OK
32 - GOOD <- I am here
64 - ohboy, i wish....

Have silent parts like fans, coolers, PSU very important IMHO...

oh, about videocards, Idk much about. I use the one that comes with mine i5 8400, it handles 3 screens in HD, and it does a good job in premier and after effects even.... Games not soo much but I'm ok with that. Maybe in the future I get an 1650super or 1050, but I don't feel the need really
Yes SSD are good hard drives, but the ones that boot faster are M2 which look like memory sticks are really good choice as well.

and don't rule out the HDD drives either because they are almost particularly dirt cheap to get as well.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:41 PM   #10
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentHarmon View Post
Yes SSD are good hard drives, but the ones that boot faster are M2 which look like memory sticks are really good choice as well.

and don't rule out the HDD drives either because they are almost particularly dirt cheap to get as well.
I have seen tests that show that although M2 have an theorical faster speed in pratice it wont result in much bigger changes ....

Having hdd for storage is good, I have 3TB of them here + 2.5TB external. Most of it found in old notebooks and a apple time machine.
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #11
GJM

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the great responses! It took me a while to find my original post in the forum .. sorry bout that. Anyway it looks like I'm looking at top flight hardware then esp. in the cpu/ram area. I'm not quite sure where to go to find latency numbers for various components and such. Anyone know of a reliable data base out there for said latency numbers?
GJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:53 PM   #12
domzy

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great responses! It took me a while to find my original post in the forum .. sorry bout that. Anyway it looks like I'm looking at top flight hardware then esp. in the cpu/ram area. I'm not quite sure where to go to find latency numbers for various components and such. Anyone know of a reliable data base out there for said latency numbers?
I don't know, but it's worth googling whatever you are thinking of buying to get a general idea of others' experiences.
eg - you could put "audio nvidia dpc latency" into your search engine if you were thinking of getting an nvidia graphics card
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote