Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 AM   #1
HowardO
Human being with feelings

Default Clarret 2pre vs Apollo Twin Duo

I just put together my first home studio setup for VoiceOvers, and I am new to the world of audio recording and Reaper. I have to say I am addicted to Reaper, and how it can be customized to fit individual needs...wishing I was a musician so I could use more of Reaper. Anyway, I am currently using a Nueman 103--DBX 286s--Scarlet Solo into my new MacBook Pro. Sounds great, however I am thinking about upgrading the Solo to a Clarret 2Pre or Apollo Twin duo. I am not concerned too much about the price difference IF the difference in sound quality is worth it. I know the Clarret would work well, but from what I have read the Apollo is much better as far as sound quality, but that the Apollo is not very compatible with Reaper. I am drawn to the thunderbolt 3 port on the Apollo. If anyone has some wisdom to share I would appreciate it. Open to all suggestions...Just bought my Reaper License last night after weeks of evaluating. I feel like I am part of a special club!
HowardO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:37 AM   #2
Fex

Welcome to the forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardO View Post
I know the Clarret would work well, but from what I have read the Apollo is much better as far as sound quality, but that the Apollo is not very compatible with Reaper.
I don't know where you read that, but I think it's to be taken with a large pinch of salt. I am not in any way familiar with the Apollo, but my experience has been that any reasonably good interface (Apollo qualifies) should work with any Reasonably good DAW (Reaper qualifies). The evidence on these forums seems to suggest that the two play together quite nicely - some people have had some issues, but you will find that with any interface and any DAW. User error accounts for most problems.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...29&postcount=4

https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...74&postcount=2

https://www.google.com/search?q=foru...om+Apollo+Twin

Now, all that said, in my honest opinion, you probably shouldn't upgrade. The Focusrite Scarlett range are perfectly good interfaces - a little basic, perhaps, but well suited, I think to your particular needs.
Quote:
wishing I was a musician so I could use more of Reaper.
Well, become one then! It's not difficult - everyone and his dog is a musician these days!
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:51 AM   #3
HowardO

Thank you so much for the info. The amount of information shared in this forum is incredible! I think I have a bit of Gear-itis.....I know the Solo works great, but I was thinking about getting something now that would last for the next ten years. Any excuse to buy new gear!
Old 08-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #4
Fex

Quote:
Any excuse to buy new gear!
But you have a better excuse to buy moar gear, for the same money.

Quote:
wishing I was a musician
https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Musical-Instruments/619
Old 08-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
HowardO

Yasssssss! Oh my poor poor wife....
Old 08-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
domzy

Quote:
I was thinking about getting something now that would last for the next ten years.
I'm not sure if i would trust either of these manufacturers for longevity of driver compatibility & support, especially on a mac.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #7
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
I'm not sure if i would trust either of these manufacturers for longevity of driver compatibility & support, especially on a mac.
Or maybe i'm talking Windows planned obsolescence nonsense and mac drivers are always good?
Old 08-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
HowardO

I haven't owned a computer other than my phone since 2008, so I invested in a brand new, pretty loaded MacBook Pro. My last Mac lasted a decade...actually it never stopped working, I just moved on. I am hoping this one does the same. I've read that some have been using their Focusrite interface for many years, and the Apollo, with its thunderbolt 3 connection, seems pretty cutting edge or "new", and should be relevant for awhile. Of course I have no idea what I am talking about.....EXTREMELY GRREN. Any specific recommendations?
Old 08-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
Fex

Quote:
Any specific recommendations?
The way I see it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
I'm not sure if i would trust either of these manufacturers for longevity of driver compatibility & support
Assuming that domzy's right, and your Focusrite will be kiboshed by your next-OS-update-but-one, you still might as well wait until that happens before you buy a new interface, and you might as well buy a NEW interface, which might not even exist yet, so what value is any recommendation?

Seriously, buy an electric guitar and a nice bunch of flowers for the missus.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #10
domzy

Quote:
I've read that some have been using their Focusrite interface for many years, and the Apollo, with its thunderbolt 3 connection, seems pretty cutting edge or "new", and should be relevant for awhile. Of course I have no idea what I am talking about.....EXTREMELY GRREN. Any specific recommendations?
I'm on PC, so i was assuming you needed specific drivers for stuff, but i'm not sure if this is such an issue on mac, as it seems lots of interfaces (Focusrite for example) use class compliant drivers.

I'm with Fex, i can't really see the point in upgrading at the moment - it doesn't seem like you need extra inputs and i doubt you'd see any perceptible difference in quality by changing interface
Old 08-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #11
HowardO

Thank you so much. I shall now turn my gear lust to a musical instrument. Searching guitars.....now.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #12
fakemaxwell

If you're interested in longevity and support, got to go with RME. Their drivers being released this year still work on Windows XP.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:15 AM   #13
ivansc

fake is SO right.

I and many others on here and elsewhere swear by RNE inTERFACES. i HAVE A bABYFACE THAT i USE ON MY mAC mINI sERVER & AN ELDERLY hdsp 9652 THAT i USE ON MY MAIN STUDIO wINDOWS 10 MACHINE. bOTH PERFORM REALLY REALLY WELL & STILL GET REGULAR UPDATES OF THEIR DRIVERS AND THE ACCOMPANYING SOFTWARE, PLUS FIRMWARE UPDATES. eVEN FOR THE 9652 WHICH i BOUGHT USED IN THE EARLY 2000S.

nOT CHEAP BUT so GOOD.

Just noticed the capslock. I have bad arthritis in my hands & cant touch type. Sprry
Old 08-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #14
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Just noticed the capslock. I have bad arthritis in my hands & cant touch type. Sprry
i've seen you mention this a lot - i was curious if you have tried nettles (either consuming them or stinging yourself) and if so, what are your experiences?
Old 08-13-2020, 10:23 PM   #15
ivansc

None of the homeopathic stuff works, although I do have a paraffin wax bath that I use on my hands in the winter, which does help somewhat. I am currently using Naproxen & Co-codamol to regulate the pain & have been on the receiving end of several steroid injections when the joints have really messed up.

Both my thumbs are now unable to flex to more than about 45 degrees from the rest of my hand & I can no longer make a proper fist although my left hand is worse than the right one. Add to that I can not really hold a plectrum any more & I think I may have to go back to being a BASS oops player again. *sigh*
Old 08-14-2020, 04:19 AM   #16
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
None of the homeopathic stuff works, although I do have a paraffin wax bath that I use on my hands in the winter, which does help somewhat. I am currently using Naproxen & Co-codamol to regulate the pain & have been on the receiving end of several steroid injections when the joints have really messed up.

Both my thumbs are now unable to flex to more than about 45 degrees from the rest of my hand & I can no longer make a proper fist although my left hand is worse than the right one. Add to that I can not really hold a plectrum any more & I think I may have to go back to being a BASS oops player again. *sigh*
Sorry to hear that, it's just that i inadvertently stung myself the other day and i had more mobility in my gammy finger, so it's something i'm gonna look into.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:54 PM   #17
ivansc

I get stung by nettles all the time when walking my dog or clearing neglected bits of the garden & so far no help. Neither is eating more turmeric, which seems to be the latest "pet" treatment for joint pain. We cook curries - most of which have a fair bit of turmeric in them - at least 2 or 3 times a week.