Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
svijayrathinam
Human being with feelings

Default Offline collaboration over a network

Hi all,

I am a sound fx editor. In my studio I have two Macs running reaper. Both computers are connected over a network. The projects are in a central location (a synology NAS) . All the sample libraries are also on the NAS.

My question is.. Is it possible to have same session opened on both computers and 2 editors working in the same reaper project ? One of us will cut backgrounds and the other doing hard fx. Is this possible? If so can someone pls help me ? Pls let me know how to do this.
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Not the same project, no. Independent changes to the same project can't be 'merged.' You'll need to use 2 projects. You could however stream the audio through the network using ReaStream and the fx person could effect the audio of the live outputs the editor feeds. When you get the fx chains set up, you can copy them over to the edited project to have everything in one place.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Not the same project, no. Independent changes to the same project can't be 'merged.' You'll need to use 2 projects. You could however stream the audio through the network using ReaStream and the fx person could effect the audio of the live outputs the editor feeds. When you get the fx chains set up, you can copy them over to the edited project to have everything in one place.
I don't understand reastream yet... Haven't tried it... Can you pls explain how? Or is there any tutorial videos? Please let me know... Thx
Old 07-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
foxAsteria

I'm sure there are some tutorials. I can't recall the specifics as I only did it once, but the basic principle is that for each stream (track) you need 2 Reastream plugins, one on the sending and track and one on the recieving end, each set up slightly different.

On the sending side you select "send audio" in the plugin and "receive" for the receiving side. Straightforward enough. They pairs communicate with eachother by using identical "identifiers," so you have to name each the pairs something unique, but the same on both ends.

Where you might have trouble is with network firewalls, so I can't tell you this will absolutely work without headaches. I can't recall if you need to use broadcast or local broadcast or actually have to type the actual IP of the receiving computer, so you'll have to experiment. From my minimal experience, it wasn't too hard to figure out with those basic principles.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:33 AM   #5
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I'm sure there are some tutorials. I can't recall the specifics as I only did it once, but the basic principle is that for each stream (track) you need 2 Reastream plugins, one on the sending and track and one on the recieving end, each set up slightly different.

On the sending side you select "send audio" in the plugin and "receive" for the receiving side. Straightforward enough. They pairs communicate with eachother by using identical "identifiers," so you have to name each the pairs something unique, but the same on both ends.

Where you might have trouble is with network firewalls, so I can't tell you this will absolutely work without headaches. I can't recall if you need to use broadcast or local broadcast or actually have to type the actual IP of the receiving computer, so you'll have to experiment. From my minimal experience, it wasn't too hard to figure out with those basic principles.

Thank you for your reply. But this is not what I am looking for. I am looking for the ability to have 2 or more people work on the same session over a local area network and the project should merge all the changes. This will help us who work in the film post production environment very much. Hope they consider this as a feature request...
Old 07-27-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaud View Post
This is one reason I have been spending more time in DaVinci Resolve lately for just these type of workflows: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro.../collaboration
Interesting !! Does it have similar features of reaper? Take fx, running as rewire slave etc ?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
svijayrathinam

Quote:
It is still very much in beta, but the Fairlight integration brings realtime and automatable clip-based gain, pan and EQ, along with support for 6 VST or AU plugins per clip.

Rewire currently hasn't been implemented, but the Fairlight systems offered built in support, so my guess is that that may only be provided with later beta builds.

The built-in EQ (both Clip-based and Mixer channel) and Dynamics/Limiter are very good, as least on par with Flux options (which I still prefer for finer control, the Fairlight Dynamics are more for global control due to available parameters). The built-in limiter isn't TruePeak aware so Flux Elixir still lives on Busses, Auxes, and SubMixes.

My intention is to eventually combine Resolve with Reaper on both OS X and Linux, syncing multiple instances via LTC. But, I am spending more time in Resolve for post workflows.

Mmhh... It certainly sounds interesting. But when I read about it on their website.. I noticed that is a hardware solution if you want to run a reasonable amount of tracks. That is not ideal for me. I really wish that reaper provide such collaboration feature. I am fairly new to this forum. Where can I ask for new features ?
Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
svijayrathinam

Quote:
What is a reasonable amount of tracks?

Most audio workstations require additional hardware for much higher tracks counts, including Pyramix, and ProTools. Even then you only achieve a maximum of 384 channels with Pyramix MassCore or 768 channels with ProTools HDX at 44.1k, halving the track count with doubling the sampling rate.

Reaper only provides a maximum of 500 tracks per instance, so for even higher track counts, you will either need to slave multiple machines, or invest in a hardware solution.

If you require 1000 channels at higher rates, Resolve is currently the only solution when running a single instance.
You can run protools HD software only and have 256 voices. Thats quite reasonable. 500 tracks in reaper is amazing !!! Nuendo can easily handle Around 400 tracks... On a powerful computer. So I don't see a need for a hardware to run tracks ... In my workflow...