Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default I have a question about the proper use of ReaFIR

I am a singer. I have a vocal BUSS for all my vocal plug ins and I have the track that has the actual vocal on it. I need to apply ReaFIR to my vocal track because of background noise. Do I apply the effect to the BUSS track or the track that has the actual vocal wave form on it?
Old 12-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
I am a singer. I have a vocal BUSS for all my vocal plug ins and I have the track that has the actual vocal on it. I need to apply ReaFIR to my vocal track because of background noise. Do I apply the effect to the BUSS track or the track that has the actual vocal wave form on it?
hi, no real wrong answer but normally you'd want to do the noise fixing as early on in the chain as you can, as then your effects and processes are being applied to a cleaner source.
e.g compression, delays, reverbs could all be affecting the noise (also in a cumalative manner ) instead of just the voice - not generally best practice.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
sjs94704

Default Am I hearing you correctly?

As I said, all my sound effects are on the BUSS and the track that has the actual vocal on it has no effects. If I am hearing what your saying, I put ReaFIR on the BUSS track and have it first in line of my FX chain?

Since I have never used ReaFIR before, if I do put it on the BUSS, do I temporarily disable my other effects in order to get the signal clean, or do I use ReaFIR with all FX enabled?
Old 12-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
cymbals

Make it the first FX on the vocal track.
cymbals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
jonboper

But on the other hand, I just read this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ghlight=reafir
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
grinder

You will still normally place ReaFir on the "Track".
1st or last on that tracks FX is up to you it would be the good thing to trial
which way is best for you.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
Fergler

Always filters before additive effects (reverb, delay, saturation). You have less to make the plugin work on then and will get a better result.

By the way bus has one s.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
By the way bus has one s.
It's two or better there are decent historical reason two s's are often used which I'm fine with.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-23-2018 at 02:22 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It's two or better there are decent historical reason two s's are often used which I'm fine with.
What's the reason?

I thought it was simply a spelling mistake that became semi-accepted. Doesn't it originally come from busbar?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
What's the reason?

I thought it was simply a spelling mistake that became semi-accepted. Doesn't it originally come from busbar?
I forget (hence the lack of documentation) but more along the usage lines than etymology and some misinterpreted bussman references. I'm not that pedantic though, if someone writes "Watch out for that bare." I'm not sticking around for the spelling debate. It appears as buss on lots of gear so once it is that accepted, I don't really care.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-23-2018 at 02:56 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
Judders

Quote:
I forget (hence the lack of documentation) but more along the usage lines than etymology and some misinterpreted bussman references. I'm not that pedantic though, if someone says "Watch out for that bare." I'm not sticking around for the spelling debate. It appears as buss on lots of gear so once it is that accepted, I don't really care.
I love the bare analogy
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
Jason Lyon

I'd advise extreme caution using ReaFIR or any automatic noise remover. It's all too easy to wind up with that chirping, whispering androids vibe.

Far better would be to do whatever it takes to get your source recording as clean as possible. Turn off the aircon and the fridge, get someone to take the dog for a walk, etc. Do it in a closet surrounded by blankets in the middle of the night if that's what it takes. Use long cables and trail them under the door if your computer fans are a problem.

Freelance voice artists usually have some kind of tented enclosure or treated cupboard in their house, but you don't have to go nuts. Just find the quietest room you have, maybe try hanging some washing around to dampen the space if it needs it and record at the quietest time of the day.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #13
Jason Lyon

Quote:
I forget (hence the lack of documentation) but more along the usage lines than etymology and some misinterpreted bussman references. I'm not that pedantic though, if someone writes "Watch out for that bare." I'm not sticking around for the spelling debate. It appears as buss on lots of gear so once it is that accepted, I don't really care.
A propos the bus(s) debate, I tend to call them "subs", as in submixes or submasters. But then my mind often seems to work backwards... Age probably.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
karbomusic

I sort of changed my use of them as of late in reaper. If the folder or "bus" is named "SUM" then it is only a sum of simple sub tracks (no sends to other tracks outside the folder), think multimic'd guitar rig or similar with multiple tracks but a single track purpose.

If it is named "BUSS" then it means it isn't strictly a sum and could have sub tracks with sends to other tracks like master reverb or delay and so on. Think all guitar tracks or all vocals and so on. That means anything named BUSS must keep it's volume fader set to zero, as not to upset the send balance proportions but if it says SUM it doesn't matter.