Old 12-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default How can I get into mixing my own music?

In my research of mixing music I am discovering that most people who do mix music have some sort of musical background of some kind, meaning they can play some sort of instrument, (Maybe I am wrong about that ) and all I do now is sing to high quality background music.

I've also heard that if someone uses downloadable sound effects to make their music that others can tell when they do that!

I am just wondering, if I don't actually know how to play any instruments, is there some way that I can get into mixing my own tunes?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:25 AM   #2
jrk

You need to find a collaborator. Good singers are pretty rare, so you'd definitely have something to bring to the table. Advertise!
Old 12-11-2017, 03:26 AM   #3
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
In my research of mixing music I am discovering that most people who do mix music have some sort of musical background of some kind, meaning they can play some sort of instrument, (Maybe I am wrong about that ) and all I do now is sing to high quality background music.

I've also heard that if someone uses downloadable sound effects to make their music that others can tell when they do that!

I am just wondering, if I don't actually know how to play any instruments, is there some way that I can get into mixing my own tunes?
You don't need to be able to play an instrument - there are whole music genres that have never featured a real life musical instrument, made by people who don't play anything.
Being able to play helps, knowing some level of music theory especially so, but as long as you have a pair of working ears, there's no reason why you can't mix music - some would argue that you don't even need ears!
Either way, there are no shortcuts. It takes time and work to 'get good' at mixing.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:05 AM   #4
ivansc

As a singer, you may not know it but you HAVE to have picked up some musical knowledge by the seat of your pants.
Dont obsess over what you dont know, just grab some samples and start stitching some stuff together.

I dont know what you have already but of course a good place to start is with the rhythm track(s) so you need to decide if you are going to work with pre-recorded loops (easy but ultimately a bit limiting) or bite the bullet and get something like EZDrummer or the free MT POwerDrums and work in a MIDI based environment. This way has a steeper learning curve but givesw you much more control AND the ability to change the actual sounds without changing the original MIDI "loop"

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
sjs94704

Default Let me be more clear ....

I am not necsarrily suggesting here that I want to mix music that even includes singing at all!

I was thinking to just put some cool sounds together. YES, there might be a few voals here and there.

Most of all, I am NOT looking to do this professionally or anything like that! For me it will just be screwing around and having some fun putting some sounds together to come up with something cool.

This is more like a hobby

Last edited by sjs94704; 12-11-2017 at 08:55 AM.
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Bazzbass

If you can't play an instrument then your only option is to mix samples

pointless really, no artistic merit in that

Just find young bands and offer to mix their music