Old 02-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #1
X-Raym
Human being with feelings

Default ReaScript: Round selected envelope points value

Hi!

You liked Script: Round selected tracks pan ? You may like this one! :P

It has been almost a month than this script lies in my GitHub, I thought I wrote an thread for this but I don't. So here it is, updated with a bit more functionalities, thanks to my work on ReaScript: Set/Offset selected envelope points values.

The idea is simple: round selected envelope points value, depending on their envelope type.

• Pitch envelope are rounded at integer
  • Volume are rounder are +/- 0.5 db
  • Others are rounded at +/- 0.5 %

Disclaimer:

Yes, it required a REAPER 5 pre-release version. I posted here anyway, because when REAPER 5 will came out, I wouldn't be able to move my thread in the right forum place, and it would be stuck - and misplaced for ever - in pre-release section, where no one will find it even if he need it. Keep it secret despite the fact is working would be a sad solution.
Anyway, I think that I you are here, you are also one of those guy who check for new pre-releases every day. It is the case for all kind users who left me comments in this sections so far.
I hope you will understand my points. So let's freely share scripts now!

Download:

Your positive feebacks make me feel useful. Thanks to all users who take the time to leave comments
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Banned

Fwiw, there are some quantization scripts floating around already, in Python, based on the 'old' method of modifying the chunk (see e.g. this one). I've been planning to rework (my modifications of) them using the new API functions, but didn't get around to that yet. Perhaps you can get some good ideas from this, though? For one thing, you could automatically remove all envelope points that have become redundant after quantization. Another thing that I found very useful myself, is to get user input for the number of steps to be used for quantization, e.g.

- Use 1 step for binary states (e.g. on/off switch)
- Use 2 steps for ternary states, e.g. switch with 3 positions, etc. (steps = number of switch positions minus 1)
- Use 24 steps for scaling equal temperament pitches on a range of 2 octaves (-12 to +12 semitones)
- Use 100 steps for 'compatibility' with display in REAPER 'tooltips' and GUI (float values, *DISPLAY* range 0.00 to 1.00)
- Use 127 steps for 'compatibility' with 7-bit MIDI CC# (integer values, range 0 to 127)
- Use 16383 steps for 'compatibility' with 14-bit MIDI such as MSB/LSB CC# pairs, (N)RPN, pitch bend (-8192 to +8191)

Cheers!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
X-Raym

@Banned
That's interesting!
I didn't know we already get that far with rounding values. I personally don't need it at that moment, but it is nice to see what more in depth solution can propose!
Quantification based on user input was suggested to me by heda, and it is true that it will be more powerful.

Quote:
you could automatically remove all envelope points that have become redundant after quantization
There is definitely an idea here.
I like to use the Reduce points action for that, but that's true than it could be directly integrated.

Good luck if you also dig into this
Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Ozymandias

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Yes, it required a REAPER 5 pre-release version. I posted here anyway,
I don't have an issue with this, but if it's going to be a regular thing you should perhaps make it clear in the title ("5pre only" or something like that).

...That's assuming the powers-that-be don't move this thread, of course.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
X-Raym

@Ozymandias
It could be taken as a big black pirate flag, but I guess it is not a bad idea