Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
shortyedwards
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Roland VS-700 - possible?

Hello all -
I have subscribed to this forum specifically to ask these questions.

I have heard many good things about Reaper. I have been a Cakewalk user for years, going back to the dos days. I dutifully upgraded and finally landed, just last year, on purchasing the Roland VS-700 console and rack unit (used). This was the largest investment I've ever made in my home recording hobby. The recent announcement from Gibson halting development on the software leaves me crestfallen but now ready to move on.

I am wondering the following:

1) Has anyone successfully gotten Reaper and the VS platform to play well together? By this I mean, utilizing the console to "close" to it's full use. Not, several buttons just don't work or they work flaky, etc.

2) Does Reaper have control surface definitions? For this unit?

3) Can there be a user created "definition" for this unit?

I have searched the forum and see little about the VS products so I'm not holding out too much hope, but as I'm a Cakewalk refugee (yes, I know it will still work so I'm being a bit dramatic here) I'm looking to make some decisions soon.

Thanks for any help making my decision easier!
-Doug
shortyedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Ampfixer

I can't answer your question but I can tell you that setting up my A Pro 500 control surface was very easy. IT was easier with Reaper than Sonar and it is also a Roland product. I'd get the free demo, watch the video about setting up a control surface and have a go.
Ampfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:19 AM   #3
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyedwards View Post
Hello all -
2) Does Reaper have control surface definitions? For this unit?

3) Can there be a user created "definition" for this unit?
I have not seen VS plug-in. Yes, it must be binary plug-in, as it is in Sonar. Reaper DIY for surfaces is Surface->OCII-bot->Reaper. As in Sonar, "simple" mapping inside the DAW has no feedback.

I have seen users created such mappings for several devices. There is also (as in Sonar open source) Mackie (binary) module. There is ongoing Surface project (see the primary board). And some lucky day AZ Controller is going to be ported.
But I guess nothing "out of the box" and any solution requires quite some work.
On the other side, Reaper is probably the only DAW where that is possible at all. Most other DAWs better support in program user mappings but do not have open API to make real deep integration, required to make VS work like it is in Sonar (except Ableton/Bitwig, they have script APIs)
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
shortyedwards

Default control surface stuff

Hello and thanks for the replies.

So ... I did download the demo and will have a bit of a play and see if it strikes me.
I gather from your responses that my use of the VS-700 with Reaper will be dodgy at best. I have no time nor expertise for digging in the weeds of programming. And I take it you say that there is no "learn" function as in Sonar. Might be best to try and sell the console and rack but that will be a tough sell now in light of Cakewalk's demise.

The Surface Project sounds intriguing. I'll look into it.

Thank you both for the help!
-Doug

Last edited by shortyedwards; 01-16-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
poetnprophet

Hi, I posted this in another thread, but here's my experience with the VS700:

Hi there, I am also looking at Reaper as an alternative DAW in light of Sonar's situation. Love Sonar, but I'm really starting to like Reaper right now. it's only been 4 days, but I feel like I'm ready to make the switch.

As for the VS700, I was able to get about 30-40% functionality. Right out of the box, the transport, track faders, pans, track mute/solo/arm, and jog/shuttle wheel all work once you set the control surface as Mackie. Then, through the actions lists you can assign any action in that list to a button on the console. Most buttons. Some aren't coming up such as Save, Undo. So all of the edit buttons can be mirrored exactly, and some of the View buttons. Then, others are already assigned to different/weird functions. For example the fader views buttons (track, buss, master) all assign different automations to a selected track, which is not really desirable for me. Lastly, the track levels don't light, and the fader banks don't switch so looks like i'm stuck with just 8 plus the master. At least, so far.

However, I have literally only spent about 30 minutes on this. I'm sure there is more to discover on this and that's what I like much about Reaper so far. Setting up what I have so far has been pretty darn easy, and with the functions I have now I can run my studio pretty well already.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
shortyedwards

Thanks poetnprophet,

I will stick to it for a bit and see if I can make headway.

Do you also have the rack unit? Any issues with that?

Your posts and experiences have given me some hope. Thanks.

-Doug
Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
poetnprophet

yes, I have the rack unit as well, no issues at all. I use the VS700 IO editor stand alone to setup the mic inputs during recording sessions. In sonar, there is a utility within sonar, but using the stand alone works just as well when using reaper.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
shortyedwards

This is good to hear.

So, poet - are you running Reaper on windows I presume? I'm considering running it on a Mac Pro on os 10.6.8. I'm thinking of getting away from Windows entirely, at this point, as I have a decent Mac to run Reaper but the Windows machine would need an os upgrade and I don't want to spend any more dough on that old Dell. In particular, I'm not too enamored with music production on Windows - alot of fighting through the years.

-Doug

Last edited by shortyedwards; 01-18-2018 at 01:06 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
poetnprophet

Yes I run win10. It's a decent machine so no issues other than Sonar's issues.

I have not run reaper through a full blown mix session yet. I tried to run a recording session but friggin crashed, so I still have some testing to do before I'm confident I can use as a new platform. part of that testing is also working with the VS700 system. There is an extension available for the MCU protocol that adds more functionality for faders, level LEDs, etc. But I haven't tried it yet....anxious though. Its called Klinke MCU extension if you want to check it out.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #10
shortyedwards

ok ... so dumb question ...

Do I just hook up all the cabling of the VS system and then when in Reaper select "Mackie" control surface or are there some other drivers I'll need to install?

-Doug
Old 01-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
poetnprophet

Yup, select Mackie MCU.

But, then you have to go into the MIDI devices section and enable it for both input and control. I don't recall if I had any output selected, I don't think I do.

Also, don't forget to look up the Klinke MCU extension, it basically replaces that selection when you add a control surface. I have yet to try it, but no sense in setting up that driver to have to do it all over again. Just a suggestion.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #12
LugNut

Hi,
If you're on PC, use klinkes. Period.
Do not enable the MCU under midi devices. Go down to control surfaces and use klinkes. Read the klinke manual.
That is all.
Enjoy:-)
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #13
shortyedwards

Default Klinke

PC only, no mac. Ah well ... Thanks anyhow.

-Doug
Old 01-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #14
LugNut

Hi,

Mac eh? Then you can either use the stock MCU csurf that comes with reaper....just the basics...or look into Geoff Washington's upcoming work. I hear its getting closer to completion.
Good luck
Old 01-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #15
poetnprophet

Well, I got around to loading the Klinke extension. It definitely adds a few more buttons but honestly not a lot. The fader banks work now, which is really great (even though the button actions are opposite). But, the channel/track LED levels still don't work. And now, there are some buttons that were map-able before and are not now.

This was with only about 15 minutes of experimentation, so I still have more trials to do.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 AM   #16
shortyedwards

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on your trials. Though I'm going Mac with Reaper (if I continue) this will be good info for others and me, should I ever go back to windows.

-Doug
Old 01-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #17
LugNut

Hi,
There's action buttons..folder mode..awesome. You hold a folder tracks select button down and your bank of 8 " dive" into the folder.
There's the "jump to"feature for big track counts.
There's plug in editing. Etc. Much deeper than the stock reaper MCU surf. Deep enough to justify a manual.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #18
shortyedwards

Default any vs users out there?

So far we have poetnprophet on Windows using the VS-700. I am setting up mine on Mac. Any others out there using this platform with Reaper? If so, care to contribute to the knowledge-base?

-Doug
Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #19
Geoff Waddington

@poetnprophet is contributing to the thread below in my sig, should have something fairly soon
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #20
shortyedwards

Yeah yeah yeah!!! Thank you.

-Doug
Old 01-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #21
shortyedwards

Default vs700 setup

Hi pnp- wondering if you can help out here. Finally had the chance to get my Mac Pro setup with reaper and the VS-700. I'm having no luck.

When I started up Reaper the first time (demo install) I enabled the Mackie MCU surface. Audio Midi setup shows no midi devices. I have no drivers installed for the VS-700. Is this correct?

I've restarted the computer several times. I tried starting up with the unit and console on before startup, and after startup.

For info :
Mac Pro 2,1 32gig ram
OS 10.6.8

Thanks in advance.
-Doug

*update*
I ended up searching, downloading and installing some drivers from the Roland/Cakewalk site(s). Made a right mess of things in the Audio/Midi setup. Only was successful in getting the metronome signal in the headphone output. This is just a serious pita. I am not encouraged that I'll be using the VS-700 with Reaper. However, so far I am quite impressed with Reaper on my laptop (Windows Vista).

Last edited by shortyedwards; 01-29-2018 at 06:15 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-31-2018, 12:27 PM   #22
poetnprophet

hey shorty. First off, yes you will need the correct drivers for the VS700. You will also need to update the firmware on the rack/console according to the driver instructions on Roland's site if required for new drivers. it's not that easy, but if I can do it, anyone can....trust me. The instructions will walk you through it, just follow exactly.

Also for Win10, the win7 driver has to be modified to work with Win10 because Roland stopped supporting long ago. I was lucky to find a forum thread where someone posted the code to change and instructions how to modify. I don't know if that's the case for Mac, you'll have to research that.

Once you have the drivers setup, should be recognized with all the ins/outs and you should get some functions.