Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 01-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
calvinator0514
Human being with feelings

Default Mainstage 3, Soundflower, and Reaper

Hello.
I'm fairly new to producing, and I've been using Reaper lately and I like it a lot! I'm primarily a guitarist, and I just purchased MainStage 3 from Apple in order to record guitar. MainStage has been good to me so far. I've read that it's possible to take the output from MainStage and use it as the input in reaper. I have been able to do this with mixed results. I often have a lot of hissing, popping, distortion, or other undesirable sounds when I run MainStage into Reaper. If I run Reaper or MainStage independently, I have zero problems with audio quality. No latency, distortion, nothing. Any idea what's going on here? I can't figure out how to create an aggregate audio device that works, so instead I have been using two audio devices when setting my preferences in reaper. I know that's not recommended; could that be my problem?

Here's my rig

Late 2011 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz Intel Core i5
8GB Ram
256GB SSD
El Capitan

Scarlett 2i2
calvinator0514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Chris4943

Have you tried soundflower?
Old 01-15-2016, 01:55 AM   #3
cyrano

Note that you need the newest Soundflower:

https://github.com/mattingalls/Sound...ases/tag/2.0b2

If you Google Soundflower, it'll lead you to various dodgy download sites. And most are still offering an ancient version that doesn't work very well with the latest OSX versions...
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
northwoodmediaworks

Hi, I am quite new to Reaper on the Mac, however, I did manage to install the newest version of SoundFlower and was able to pipe its output into Reaper, so you should be okay, provided that you do get the latest version of Soundflower.

Cheers
northwoodmediaworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
calvinator0514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4943 View Post
Have you tried soundflower?
Yes, that's what I was using. It started working eventually. Odd. Now if I ever get undesired noises I restart. Thanks for the responses!
calvinator0514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:29 AM   #6
vanhaze

Maybe offtopic, but there is a new app on the market that does the same as Soundflower, maybe even better:

http://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/

I didn't try this out myself but looks promising.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
Chris4943

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Maybe offtopic, but there is a new app on the market that does the same as Soundflower, maybe even better:

I didn't try this out myself but looks promising.
WOW this looks awesome! Price is kinda steep but worth it. Soundflower has been the only game in town but I've really been wanting something better supported. This looks like it.
Thanks so much for the tip.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
vanhaze

You are welcome my friend !

I agree at first glance: price maybe steep...

However, i do own the program Audio Hijack from Rogueamoeba and i can tell you it's a very trustful,
wellthought, stable, in short: just an amazing piece of software and i assume the same goes for Loopback.

And beware: Loopback is just in it's beginning phase, knowing Rogueamoeba, it will be developed and enhanced to the max :0)
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
robotbarbarian

Default Maintage 3, Soundflower, and Reaper

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the group. I've been searching the net for a solution to get Reaper, Soundflower, and MainStage all working together. I'm having minimal success. I do see that some of you have had success but I'm wondering if its the same success I'm looking for.

What I'm trying to achieve is being able to record audio and MIDI output from MainStage into Reaper via Soundflower. All 3 pieces of software are up to date and so is my OS. I have a grasp on how the routing is supposed to go but I'm obviously missing something. I've seen a couple of videos on YouTube touching on this but not anything specific to Reaper. The videos I've seen are people doing this with Ableton Live, Soundflower, and MainStage. Yes..I understand I'm not using Live here but the main purpose of watching these videos is to get a general understanding of the routing scheme. Where there has been people having success with Live, has anybody had any success with what I'm proposing? I'm especially looking to record the actual MIDI data into Reaper from MainStage. I've also seen people building aggregate devices within OS X to compile all of the useful elements together but mainly with a soundcard of some sort. It's hard to believe that I would need an external soundcard to achieve this; in theory, the ability to route this should work with my current setup.

It should be noted that when I'm in the Mac's Audio/MIDI preferences, I can see the MIDI signal and I can see it within Reaper as well but no sound whatsoever. I can also see a MIDI response in MainStage as well when I trigger from the M-Audio.

Any help and/or suggestions are very much welcome and thank you for viewing this thread.

Here's my current setup info:

OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.6
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3
Memory: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

No sound card per se - Just onboard audio

M-Audio Axiom 49/ USB direct into Mac

Sincerely - boB (backwards)

Last edited by robotbarbarian; 12-23-2016 at 10:03 AM.
robotbarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #10
rightgood

Default correct link provided

[QUOTE=vanhaze;1633705]Maybe offtopic, but there is a new app on the market that does the same as Soundflower, maybe even better:

link should be https://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2017/02/ Product is SoundSource
rightgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Handyman

Loopback is the product that is similar to Soundflower.
https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

Soundsource is a Rogue Aomeba menu bar control that mimics the controls in System Preferences >Sound. It’s very handy, and free to RA customers.
https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
Patrice Brousseau

Being lucky here as my two Roland interfaces (Quad Capture and Octa Capture) sports a really undocumented feature: 2 inputs being the loop back of the output.
Patrice Brousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:47 AM   #13
ewillhelm

I STILL keep wanting this to be a thing (using Mainstage as an instrument plugin within Reaper). I've come so very close to success! I can get my MIDI keyboard to trigger sounds in Mainstage, while the MIDI notes are recorded to a track in Reaper, and the sound from Mainstage is routed to and recorded on that track. BUT, this is where I always hit the same hurdle...this only happens while I'm playing the keyboard. Once the MIDI info has been recorded to a track in Reaper, subsequent playback of the track does NOT trigger the sounds within Mainstage, so you get silence. I feel like there's certainly some little setting somewhere that would alleviate this problem, or maybe not. I sure wish that if it WERE possible, our boy Kenny Gioia would make a video on how to do it!
ewillhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:05 AM   #14
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Note that you need the newest Soundflower:

https://github.com/mattingalls/Sound...ases/tag/2.0b2

If you Google Soundflower, it'll lead you to various dodgy download sites. And most are still offering an ancient version that doesn't work very well with the latest OSX versions...
I actually thought Soundflower had stopped being developed. I was getting Kernal Panics and saw it was recommended to remove this (because it was aging) and replace with a more modern version (free and M1 compatible) https://existential.audio/blackhole/
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:18 AM   #15
nepenthe

Rogue Amoeba's Loopback is pretty much soundflower with a very nice GUI. Soundsource is also really cool.
https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/
https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

Great developer - free updates, and lots of them.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:08 AM   #16
nepenthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewillhelm View Post
I STILL keep wanting this to be a thing (using Mainstage as an instrument plugin within Reaper). I've come so very close to success! I can get my MIDI keyboard to trigger sounds in Mainstage, while the MIDI notes are recorded to a track in Reaper, and the sound from Mainstage is routed to and recorded on that track. BUT, this is where I always hit the same hurdle...this only happens while I'm playing the keyboard. Once the MIDI info has been recorded to a track in Reaper, subsequent playback of the track does NOT trigger the sounds within Mainstage, so you get silence. I feel like there's certainly some little setting somewhere that would alleviate this problem, or maybe not. I sure wish that if it WERE possible, our boy Kenny Gioia would make a video on how to do it!
Are you using a MIDI interface with multiple inputs?
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote