Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 06-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
Phroneris
Human being with feelings

Default reaper.ini settings to avoid scanning VST3?

Hello.

Everytime I install REAPER pre versions as portable one, I add these lines in reaper.ini before the first start:
Code:
vstpath=
vstpath64=
multinst=2
verchk=0
... to avoid scanning 32/64bit VSTs, to enable multiple instances and to ignore version checks.

The reason to avoid VSTs is that I just want to use REAPER pre to check its new performance and functions instead of using it for actual daily music productions, so I don't need a long long long time of scanning many plugins I have.
But, even if I make 32/64bit VST paths empty like above beforehand, VST3 scan always occurs on the first start of REAPER and I get this line in reaper.ini.
Code:
vstpath64=C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
Additionally, after I saw the above, on preference page I manually erased VST3 path and did "Clear cache/re-scan", then I restarted REAPER and compared both (before and after clearing VST3) reaper.ini.
But no lines are changed except "vstpath64=C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" and I cannot find any special entries which seems to be related.
("vstfullstate=17221" is kind of them? But I cannot understand what the number means)

Is it possible to avoid completely all(VST 32bit, VST 64bit and VST3) plugin scans on the first start?
... Or, I wish reaper.ini would get an indivisual VST3 path entry.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:20 AM   #2
X-Raym

Rather that installing a new portable installation everytime, it may be simpler to just update the existing one. This way, your initial vst scan archive will stay be preserved and no long intensive scan will occurs.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
Meo-Ada Mespotine

The easiest way would be to put VST3-plugins into a folder, that isn't a standard-plugin-scanning-folder of Reaper.
After that, you just need to add that additional path into the preferences of your "productive"-Reaper-installation, so it finds VST3-plugins.

All other Reaper-portable-installations will not find them, as it's not in the list of default-plugin-folders to be scanned.

The search-for-plugin-default-paths-list should be on Preferences -> VST-Plugins.
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:55 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

You could also just change the VST path to be something that has no files, e.g.

Code:
vstpath64=C:\Some\Invalid\Directory
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:12 AM   #5
Phroneris

Thanks all for many useful ideas I couldn't have!