Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
SEBA75
Human being with feelings

Default scrolling in mixer window

Hello dear Reaper users,

I am relatively new to Reaper and it really annoys me the scrolling in the mixer window,
it goes 100% left - right (should be slower) and also on scrolling up and down for horizontal scroll, extremely counter intuitive.

I guess this is probably easy to customize, but I cannot find " mixer scroll " or similar in the actions list, help anyone?
SEBA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:35 AM   #2
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBA75 View Post
Hello dear Reaper users,

I am relatively new to Reaper and it really annoys me the scrolling in the mixer window,
it goes 100% left - right (should be slower) and also on scrolling up and down for horizontal scroll, extremely counter intuitive.

I guess this is probably easy to customize, but I cannot find " mixer scroll " or similar in the actions list, help anyone?
When you say scrolling I am guessing you mean clicking on the left/right arrows?
If so, it should move the mixer typically one channel/track at a time. At least that is how mine behaves with whatever theme I use.

There is always the scroll bar at the bottom you can click|hold on and move to.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
When you say scrolling I am guessing you mean clicking on the left/right arrows?
If so, it should move the mixer typically one channel/track at a time. At least that is how mine behaves with whatever theme I use.

There is always the scroll bar at the bottom you can click|hold on and move to.
try mousewheel.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
try mousewheel.
On mine if I push the mousewheel left or right it just moves the tracks (not sure what it's acronym is), not the mixer panel.

I've never had any issues with moving around the MCP myself.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
EpicSounds

mousewheel goes up and down only. Horizontal wheel does left and right. sometimes it's the same physical thing on the mouse but regardless in reaper's mixer up/down motion makes mixer scroll left/right.

left-right motion makes arrange scroll left/right and does nothing in mixer.
there's no action list for mixer so we can't change it.

here's a thread from 2011 on it, there have been many since.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=76645

Basically mousewheel down 1 click moves about 7 tracks to the right (depending on theme) but in the tcp it moves 1 at a time.

here's a gif of the problem. very slight movement of mousewheel causes big jumps in the mixer.
https://imgur.com/4Dohkvg
Old 02-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
SEBA75

Default oh dear

Thank you all,

I am referring to the scrolling with mouse, clicking and dragging below the faders is really not a good ideia long term. So, there is a huge problem, now I have made research and found so many threads on this, dating back almost 10 years even though this seems to be a ridiculously easy problem to solve. ProTools, Logic and all the others do this, left and right scroll with mouse...moving the faders at a reasonable speed. Serious communication problem REAPER/users that this has not been changed after so much complaint and so much time...

It should be default, but if it by some very strange reason is not then an action changing it is really not such a big deal. But for me mixing every day it is a really big deal, of course.

How can I contact the REAPER team directly on this?

Many thanks! - Sebastian
Old 02-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #7
Cranky Emu

Quote:
I am referring to the scrolling with mouse
When you say 'scrolling with the mouse' you mean clicking on the arrows in reaper to move left/right up/down? Am I correct, or something else?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
SEBA75

Quote:
When you say 'scrolling with the mouse' you mean clicking on the arrows in reaper to move left/right up/down? Am I correct, or something else?
Trying to be as clear as possible: using the mouse wheel to scroll in the mixer window.

it does only work "up and down" for the mixer faders to move horizontally, which is very counter intuitive and, to my great surprise, one of the few things that it seems not possible to customize.

Since I found literally a ton of other threads and other people discussing this on different forums, this dating back to 10 years, I do find it strange and almost arrogant to not change this simple but so important feature for someone that mixes every day. I use the softube console 1 for most mixes, but still need to check the faders all the time, and when scrolling (with the mouse wheel) it also jumps like 7-10 faders at the time, EXTREMELY irritating and not functional. Using the scroll under the faders dragging should not even be suggested.. I really love REAPER and do not understand why there is not a "5.9 something" version next week correcting this...

Thank you and let me know on what you others here in the forum think of this!
Old 02-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
poetnprophet

agreed on this issue, it's really hard to follow a 60" screen with your eyes when the mcp jumps so quickly. I think having an option in preferences to adjust this would be a really nice change, small but with a big impact long term.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #10
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Trying to be as clear as possible: using the mouse wheel to scroll in the mixer window.

it does only work "up and down" for the mixer faders to move horizontally, which is very counter intuitive and, to my great surprise, one of the few things that it seems not possible to customize.

Thank you and let me know on what you others here in the forum think of this!

heh-here's what i think- it workx totally fine >here< as there may be an option to switch that behaviour..you checked yet?
looking at gif it seems that it scrolls ok- from last view to new centered view- seems logical..no?

also try changing your mouse pointer settings on the device itself- win offers different precision modes/ amount of pages to scroll per increment..k.
also-use the navigation system= designed for scrolling arrange,but clicking a track can also be linked to shoot view straight to target mixer channel-sooperdooper easy..no?
where's kenny when ya needed ...him? ..no?
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #11
SEBA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
heh-here's what i think- it workx totally fine >here< as there may be an option to switch that behaviour..you checked yet?
looking at gif it seems that it scrolls ok- from last view to new centered view- seems logical..no?

also try changing your mouse pointer settings on the device itself- win offers different precision modes/ amount of pages to scroll per increment..k.
also-use the navigation system= designed for scrolling arrange,but clicking a track can also be linked to shoot view straight to target mixer channel-sooperdooper easy..no?
where's kenny when ya needed ...him? ..no?
Dear Bri1,
yes I have checked the actions and there is no apparent way to change the mouse wheel from having "up - down" as "right -left", not the end of the world but very strange. The bigger problem is that it scrolls very fast, 7-10 channels minimum on the slightest movement, and that is also not customizable, to my great surprise. I got that confirmed by "the reaper blog" so I firmly believe that it is something Reaper has to work on.

I unfortunatley do not understand what you mean by using the navigation system and the shoot view, could you explain in a more straight ahead and clear way? very interesting.

thank you - Sebastian
Old 02-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
Cranky Emu

Quote:
The bigger problem is that it scrolls very fast, 7-10 channels minimum on the slightest movement
This would indicate there is a hardware/software issue. As said before, when I scroll the MCP is does so 1 channel (fader) at a time.

Does your mouse perform normally in other programs?
Is this fast movement happening in other programs to?
Have you tried other themes to see if the problem still happens?
Old 02-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #13
EpicSounds

I think you'll have to show us that it moves one at a time smoothly. yours seems to be working differently than ours
Old 02-24-2019, 10:29 PM   #14
JohnnyMusic

Default Multiple Rows

I agree the MCP scrolls too fast, on the default theme on my computer, about 12 tracks and very sensitive, ie, if you move a bit too far it is even more.

I tried changing windows setting for mousewheel scroll speed, it didn't help.

To the OP, I don't know if you are aware but you can show more than one row of faders if that helps you. (I realize it is a work around).

Right click the master mixer track and click "show multiple rows of tracks when size permits". You can then drag the top edge of the MCP panel up and a second row of "tracks/faders" appears above the first.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #15
SEBA75

Quote:
This would indicate there is a hardware/software issue. As said before, when I scroll the MCP is does so 1 channel (fader) at a time.

Does your mouse perform normally in other programs?
Is this fast movement happening in other programs to?
Have you tried other themes to see if the problem still happens?
Yes, my mouse is normal in other programs etc. Very interesting to hear that your scroll
is going one fader at the time, do I understand it right that you are using the mouse wheel with "up - down" motion?

I do agree with Epic Sounds that it seems your mouse behave differently and it would be interesting
to know why, I am using a regular mac-mouse (with cable) at home and a magic mouse in the studio, and both behave the same (very fast movement, on my current project with 22 channels it goes from beginning to end literally on the smallest possible touch).
The only way for me to get a slower motion is to manually grab the scrolling under the faders and drag.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:35 PM   #16
SEBA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
To the OP, I don't know if you are aware but you can show more than one row of faders if that helps you. (I realize it is a work around).
Thanks Johnny, I have tried that and do it on some projects but it's also not ideal. I really like having the channels in a row and for now I have to use the scroll under and drag...really not the best thing.

For the final stage in mix I use the Console 1 and can choose channels there too, but still in many cases it's faster and complementary to find the faders quickly on large projects.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #17
Cranky Emu

Quote:
I think you'll have to show us that it moves one at a time smoothly. yours seems to be working differently than ours
Providing I am reading and understanding this right, you mean scrolling when clicking on the left or right arrow in the MCP?

If so, then yes mine definitely does move one track at a time, the TCP moves even slower.

If this is what you mean, I will make a video so you can see.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #18
poetnprophet

Quote:
Providing I am reading and understanding this right, you mean scrolling when clicking on the left or right arrow in the MCP?

If so, then yes mine definitely does move one track at a time, the TCP moves even slower.

If this is what you mean, I will make a video so you can see.
No he says with the MOUSEWHEEL, not the arrows.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #19
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
No he says with the MOUSEWHEEL, not the arrows.
I know right?
Old 02-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #20
Cranky Emu

Quote:
I know right?
Ok, I can't understand why it is so much hassle or problematic for people to use the arrows if you are wanting to move one at a time, and mousewheel for faster moves.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:03 PM   #21
SEBA75

Quote:
no. use your own brain..this 1 is exhausted from retardizmz using reaper..
just about had enough of this forum bollox tbh.
sigh.
wow...I really thought this was a forum for "newbies" and that any question goes.

If you don't like questions why are you here in the first place...and being gross and rude is really
not good for anyone. I'm sorry if I sound "retarded" to you, but your sentence
"but clicking a track can also be linked to shoot view straight to target mixer channel-sooperdooper easy..no?" really is not that well explained to anyone ; )

By the way is it really ok to call someone retarded here, Admin? I think respect is always a good thing and makes the tone in this otherwise very nice forum better.

Anyway, I think the thread has ended in that "no" there is no way of customizing the mouse wheel scroll in the mixer window and...let's hope for that action in reaper 6!

Thanks a lot to all trying to help
Old 02-25-2019, 11:54 PM   #22
_Stevie_

You really have to ignore Bri1, most of us do.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:04 AM   #23
Cranky Emu

Quote:
I'm sorry if I sound "retarded"
You're not!
Do not take it personally Seb, you are not the first that has been called/labelled 'retarded' here, and I dare say (unless admin take a zero tolerance approach) you won't be the last either. There have been other members ask simple questions and torn to bits for doing so - it's bullshit and there is no need for it.

Just because someone doesn't understand or does not write english as well as those of us who speak it natively do, this does not make them retarded.

You ask whatever questions you like Seb, as many as you like and need to, that is what the forum is for.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:25 AM   #24
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
By the way is it really ok to call someone retarded here, Admin? I think respect is always a good thing

lolz-- did anybody actually get 'called' retarded? nope- the programme is...
the reason i put 'no'- is simply to encourage people to think for themselves,more often...
if i can (being slightly retarded myself) -then most can.!
respect yourself+ the rest will follow..

Quote:
You really have to ignore Bri1, most of us do.

yep-your colours was shown early on..totally disrespectfull guy here^ like others along with him<
this is the true disrespect for others-- i have tried to help since comming here+ get ignored because others make themself seem -un_educated with the programme they actually use!.
give it a break...lol
if the user guide and a person's own intuitive skills cannot navigate them through reaper-- that tells me there's a fault in the user base-or system in use.

right? no? yes?
oh+ read the definition of retard. =) please get clued up before throwing social hand grenades at any1 else.. heh
Old 02-26-2019, 04:09 AM   #25
Cranky Emu

Quote:
if the user guide and a person's own intuitive skills cannot navigate them through reaper
Maybe this is where the problem lays mate, for a start the user guide is only available in four languages - none of which is Seb's native language.

Just because using a program may be second nature to you, doesn't mean it is to everyone else. I've been around audio for over 30 years but very new to the whole DAW/ITB scenario - moving from a totally analogue mindset to a digital one is a bit of a jump.

There are times (many times) when I have reached out to the forum community for help on various aspects with using Reaper, and I am thankful that there has always being someone willing to help and share their experience and expertise.

Manuals are not for everyone either - I am not a 'manual' person, often only reading them to find something specific, rather then reading 'cover-to-cover'? Does this make someone a less worthy user of the program? I shouldn't think so.

As for people ignoring people, eh welcome to the world of forums.
To be honest this is the only forum which I regularly participate in - most others are full of egotists who think they (and only they!) know anything, where a lot are very quick to knock someone down. Then of course there is the forum version of groupies - the ones who hang off every written word from the 'big guns' of the said forum - users who have been on the forum since they wore nappies, they seem to gain an instant reputation of 'being in the know' and knowing more then others.

I am only new here, but I would really hate to see this forum go down that path, with everyone bitching at each other. It is to good of a resource to destroy.

Poor Seb, his head must be spinning right now
It is all fine Seb, the dust will settle and life will move onto the next post...
Old 02-26-2019, 04:19 AM   #26
_Stevie_

Quote:
I am only new here, but I would really hate to see this forum go down that path, with everyone bitching at each other. It is to good of a resource to destroy.
No worries, this won't happen. The vast majority here is very helpful and uses a very respectful tone.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:35 AM   #27
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Maybe this is where the problem lays mate, for a start the user guide is only available in four languages - none of which is Seb's native language.

I am only new here, but I would really hate to see this forum go down that path, with everyone bitching at each other.

heh- again,that's not really my fault-reaper's short falling,not i- if it's distributed in a certain country-then that country should have relevant documentations to suit.. no?

lol- i am also fairly 'new here'- if you actually check back through the forums-you will certainly find attacks/bitching+insults-- and that's got 0 todo with me --all before i came along..
back on topic-did op still have issues now even after all the love given to them specifically?? seems so..?

i receive next to 0 love here-very little -but give as much i can-when i can,as honestly and promptly as i can.
if that's hard to swallow- then gulp harder!

only actually here to help others see the glorious--light!
why "beat around the bush?"-when there's little need todo so..go direct to the source of intuition-heart/brain/chakra centers.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #28
SEBA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
No worries, this won't happen. The vast majority here is very helpful and uses a very respectful tone.
Thanks Stevie and Cranky Emu!

Now I feel better about the forum and was really surprised on getting insults on a quite intriguing and I think not so "retarded" question (haha). I think that we got to the bottom of the real matter, I really learned something and that was not in any manual, since it is not possible to do.

I really agree with Cranky Emu that since I'm no native english speaker the eventual communication problems should be taken in consideration, quite natural I think, as I would do speaking my language with this young man.

Actually I did not understand a lot of his writing since he uses a "slang" way of writing also, and may be having other personal problems as well, reading between the lines.

I think Stevies first answer sums up it all... : )

Thank you all and let's explore this wonderful and quite complex program together!!!
Old 02-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #29
_Stevie_

Awesome and keep the questions coming
Old 12-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #30
Eraz

Any news on the scroll issue?
Eraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #31
Joe90

Edgemeal crafted a smooth scrolling script, that I've attached to modifier + left/right mousewheel nudge, this solution is working for me. It doesn't replace the main scroll, that's not possible currently AFAIK, but this is my main mixer scrolling method now.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2203360
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:28 AM   #32
Eraz

I added a FR for adding reverse scroll in the mixer window: if anyone wants to support that, here is the link: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=229679
Eraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #33
JamesZhan9592

Default I feel you, OP

I have been using REAPER professionally since 2015 and scrolling in the mixer (using a normal mouse's wheel, scrolling up and down) has always been a huge problem, so much so that over time, I have adapted by mixing without the mixer.

I recently started using Logic for songwriting and I love using the mixer in Logic, which prompted me to try to use REAPER's mixer more. In REAPER 6, scrolling in the mixer is STILL super fast, and because of that, every time I scroll in the mixer, I have to stop and re-orient myself which tracks I'm looking at.

I hope there will be an update for this!
JamesZhan9592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #34
JohnnyMusic

Default +1

Yes! Please slow down horizontal scroll of mixer control panel with mousewheel.

Last edited by JohnnyMusic; 04-23-2020 at 01:06 PM.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:33 AM   #35
jackmilas

Yes please.
Mixer window scrolling is frustrating at times.
jackmilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #36
EpicSounds

as of reaper 6.11 (released today) the mixer scrolls 1 track at at time with mousewheel.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:24 AM   #37
neovich

Default scroll wheel stuff

OK guys,

About this whole scroll thing.
Let me tell you my mouse set up. If any one interest in how to do this way.
please reply.

1 ------------------------------------------------------
scroll wheel spin up /spin down only ( over track view or media marquee )
= all , positional view moves vertically ( up or down )

2 ------------------------------------------------------
scroll wheel spin up /spin down + [Ctrl]
= all, zooms in /out vertically ( up or down )

3 ------------------------------------------------------
scroll wheel spin up /spin down + [shift]
= media marquee , positional view move horizontally ( left / right of view )

4 ------------------------------------------------------
scroll wheel spin up /spin down + [shift] + [Ctrl]
= zoom in /out horizontally , media marquee

----------------------------------------------------
Definitions:
Media Marquee = where all the media clips go.
Trackview = where all volume faders fx buttons on left side is
Scroll Wheel = That little spinny thing on the mouse
Reaper = That Evil thing that keeps you up at night. ( not the hooded creature )

I say reaper for ever !

Last edited by neovich; 04-08-2021 at 05:08 AM.
neovich is offline   Reply With Quote