Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
5string
Human being with feelings

Default reaper and melodyne essential - are they compatible ?

have new mac - fast processor, plenty of mem, huge H D - shouldn't be a prob here.

problem is whenever i try to transfer the signal into essential. i click the
"transfer" button in essential but whenever i click the start button in reaper to begin playback, the transfer light goes out and no signal is transferred to essential. I've gotten around it this way: back up the playback track far enough so that i can begin it playing and then then click the transfer button in essential just before it gets to the point where i want data transfer to take place. but there's still a prob - it will transfer data for a short time ( 2 or 3 or 5 seconds) and the transfer button goes out ( light not lit) and the data stops transferring. with my mouse over the transfer button, i can click the transfer button and it will start transferring data again.
I JUST DON'T BELEIVE THIS PROG IS SUPP TO WORK LIKE THIS ! ! could this be because reaper does not support melodyne as a VST plugin ?

what about garrage band ? would essential work in there. if it does, i could always export the vox track to GB, use essential to pitch correct then import it back to reaper.

as always - any help app

5string
Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
ngarjuna

This is a long standing issue with Melodyne in REAPER (do a quick search for Melodyne on these forums, you might find this mentioned in every single thread about Melodyne in the last several years):
if you want to transfer to the plugin version you need to start the transport before you start the transfer. Nobody is sure why this is the case because Celemony "doesn't support REAPER" so you won't get any help from those guys.

Personally I'd rather work around a single plugin (which I use occasionally on maybe a couple tracks on some projects) than have to navigate around an unfamiliar host. But if it matters that much to you then you should stick to Celemony's supported DAW list, those are the only environments in which you'll get support.
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
BobM

I’m using Melodyne Assistant on 10.6.8, and it works ok most of the time.
I don’t understand why Melodyne doesn't support Reaper, something to do with Studio One I suspect..

Last edited by BobM; 01-03-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Grammar
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
ngarjuna

5String: I apologize, I missed the second part of your problem (that after using the aforementioned workaround the transfer cuts out after a short time); seems to me that's another one that I remember reading in a Melodyne thread around here but I can't recall what the solution is (I haven't had that particular issue myself). I'd do some forum searching and check out several of the more recent Melodyne threads, you're definitely not the only one to have issues with Melodyne and REAPER.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
producer

Default It works

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
This is a long standing issue with Melodyne in REAPER (do a quick search for Melodyne on these forums, you might find this mentioned in every single thread about Melodyne in the last several years):
if you want to transfer to the plugin version you need to start the transport before you start the transfer. Nobody is sure why this is the case because Celemony "doesn't support REAPER" so you won't get any help from those guys.

Personally I'd rather work around a single plugin (which I use occasionally on maybe a couple tracks on some projects) than have to navigate around an unfamiliar host. But if it matters that much to you then you should stick to Celemony's supported DAW list, those are the only environments in which you'll get support.
It works here now with the latest updates (64bit). However, I had this earlier as well-
iMac 4.0 GHz, 32 GB, 1 Tera SSD, MacBook Retina 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, osx 10.12.4, Artist Mix & Control, RME cards + Octamix II, Genelec Monitors, Røde and SE mics, too many plugins. Gibson and Fender el guitars, Martin and Taylor acoustic guitars.
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
ngarjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer View Post
It works here now with the latest updates (64bit). However, I had this earlier as well-
Is that v2 or v3? I never upgraded to 3 since 2 was so fiddly, figured I would be better off leaving it be since I had it all working (although most reports seem to suggest they work about the same with REAPER, that is not without it's problems). But I haven't run an update (if there is one available for v2) in a pretty long time so that might be worth checking into. I get just enough use out of it to justify owning it but not much more than that so the transfer thing hasn't really been a big problem for me (plus I'm really used to it by now, even if it were fixed I would probably still be in the habit of starting up the transport first heh).
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
5string

ngarjuna and others- many thanx for all replies

"if you want to transfer to the plugin version you need to start the transport before you start the transfer"

"start the transport before you start the transfer" - not sure what you mean by this but i think thats what i'm doing. let me exp further: i have 2 windows open on my desktop - my Reaper project and the celemony essential. i click on the transfer button in essential and then click on the playback button in Reaper to start the track pb - but when i do the transfer button light goes out and nothing gets recorded. is there another way to make it transfer data other than the workaround that i mentioned in my orig post.
i just downloaded the latest (4.58/64) version of reaper but it didn't make any diff.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
BobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5string View Post
Ihave 2 windows open on my desktop - my Reaper project and the celemony essential. i click on the transfer button in essential and then click on the playback button in Reaper to start the track pb -
Do it the other way round, Reaper Transport first, then Melodyne transfer.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:05 AM   #9
producer

Default Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer View Post
I use melodye Editor, not essential, that sems to work.
iMac 4.0 GHz, 32 GB, 1 Tera SSD, MacBook Retina 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, osx 10.12.4, Artist Mix & Control, RME cards + Octamix II, Genelec Monitors, Røde and SE mics, too many plugins. Gibson and Fender el guitars, Martin and Taylor acoustic guitars.
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
5string

hey guys, that's the way i'm doing it. (don't know how to use the quote feature on here) but here is an excerpt from my initial post: "I've gotten around it this way: back up the playback track far enough so that i can begin it playing and then then click the transfer button in essential just before it gets to the point where i want data transfer to take place. but there's still a prob - it will transfer data for a short time ( 2 or 3 or 5 seconds) and the transfer button goes out ( light not lit) and the data stops transferring. with my mouse over the transfer button, i can click the transfer button and it will start transferring data again". it's kinda like in the old days when you had to ride the gain fader while mixing - then compressors came along.

looking at another side -in a previous reply, superfly 76 mentioned that he thought the problem might be that i had melodyne essential VST and ReWire in my effects. problem is i don't know how to get rid of the ReWire. i have uninstalled and reinstalled both the melodyne (being careful to check only the VST option during installation) and Reaper. Yet whenever i open my effects on the Reaper track, the melodyne ReWire still shows up. Short of reformatting the H D - i don't know what else to do.

anyone know if melodyne essential will work with garrage band on the mack (without these prob) ? i'm thinking of exporting the vox track to garrage band, pitch corr it with melodyne and then export it back to Reaper

in summary- 1) is there any way to get rid of the melodyne ReWire in my effects box ? 2) will melodyne essential work with garrage band ?

pls help
5string