Old 01-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #1
Faderjockey
Human being with feelings

Default Crashing issue

I posted few days ago about some issues with my new Built PC and New Apollo 16MkII..
Well I did a reformat and things seemed better.. I thought I had an issue with a WD My Book 4tb USB drive that I was using only for backups. When I unplugged it things seemed better.

My recording drive is a WD 1tb M.2 and OS is on Samsung 512gb 850Pro.

Now I was bouncing a rough mix for client to work on backups at home.. It was crashing with looked like UAD plug errors. I can't get that window back. But now it bounces (doing it as MP3 just to email him) it gets to end of render then Reaper quits error window pops up. Sometimes when I reopened Reaper it wouldn't find Apollo again until I reboot. It's not doing that anymore seems to find it now. But I can't bounce this tune down to MP3 and we aren't close to done tracking or mixing this Album.. Which is 24/44.1
My other clients are at 32/96K that I started at another studio now need to finish here. Not sure what to do to get to the bottom of this issue.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #2
Faderjockey

Little update..Sill crashes at the end of the bounce but it's completing the bounce. I listened to the tune till the end twice. But can't figure out why Reaper crashes and close when bounce ends.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:30 AM   #3
ivansc

What did the error message say? Have you looked at the crashlog? Can you post it here?
A few more details on your system might help, too.
Bummer as I assume you are under some time constraints here too.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:10 AM   #4
Faderjockey

Not normal message. Just Reaper quit then says Windows will search for a solution.. or something I’ll have to make it happen again.

System is Win10 x64
Gigabyte z170x gaming7
i7 7700k
32gb ddr4 3200
Samsung 850 Pro
WD m.2

UA Apollo16MKII

Using Startech Thunderbolt adapter to Apollo.

I built and changed over to Apollo in the middle of 2 projects because my SSL converters died.
I ran those off an RME Digiface on my old machine. I already built this Daw only few weeks old had the RME in this and the SSL hooked up running. I choose this MB because of future Thunderbolt use.. but wasn’t planning to have to buy Apollo this soon money wise. But had to when SSL stopped working.

So I did a reformat and seemed fine then last nights session had a few weird things happen.. I knew I’d deal with something’s as I go.. and get it all tightened up.. but then crashes like this.. and a few times I’m doing something as simple as using SWS markerlist to highlight intro and end of tune getting ready to render and the UAD meter usage window was laying over top SWS markerlist.. I grab to drag it off and Reaper crashed then too.. at least twice when I tried it again. Don’t understand why it’s acting so unstable on new build when I would think it would be better then my last machine.

I also started it with resets configuration just to see what would happen if I render from there but before I even could bounce Reaper quit after I clicked some other stuff not sure.. I tried this reset after it seemed my normal one got stuck in a loop of open and crash before it went to my default session which is a blank start I’ve had forever..
Old 01-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
ivansc

Windows crashlog....
Old 01-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
Faderjockey

update so far.. cleared reaper off drive and appdata and registry.. test running 5.61 5.70 both off a jump drive running a little slower but they're working and not crashing only one song out of the session wanted to crash or did crash was because of slate verbSuite. So I open that song without effects got rid of those verbs saved it then reopened it. Next test is to try installing on the computer Drive again see if I have the same luck.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Faderjockey

here's logs these are running off jump drive for test.
This once was 5.61 crash opening a song and I was missing like 2 plugins then it crashed.

Faulting application name: reaper.exe, version: 5.6.1.0, time stamp: 0x59f39832
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.16299.125, time stamp: 0x70f70cc4
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000006b70e
Faulting process id: 0x17d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d38b553a03eec7
Faulting application path: E:\ReaperPortable561\reaper.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 17abece2-f9a3-4408-86d5-2bf214a54234
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This one was newest 5.70 and was working well up until I bounced a mix which completed but then crashed after it was down.. looks like a UAD issue on that one.

Faulting application name: reaper.exe, version: 5.7.0.0, time stamp: 0x5a307ded
Faulting module name: uadasio.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59fbb60d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000002ce7
Faulting process id: 0xa40
Faulting application start time: 0x01d38b4d2f0c23bf
Faulting application path: E:\ReaperPortable570\reaper.exe
Faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\universal audio\powered plugins\drivers\audio\pcie\x64\uadasio.dll
Report Id: c0915179-1aad-4d4b-aebf-15f5ba1ccde0

Last edited by Faderjockey; 01-12-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:21 AM   #8
ivansc

Your crashlogs:
Re the first one, I had a quick peek and it appears there are a number of issues that MS are struggling to resolve with ucrtbase.dll and ucrtbased.dll, so that looks like being a separate issue.
Second one is pointing at the UAD ASIO driver, so we have two entirely different circumstances & I am too dumb technically to spot any significant correlations between the two.
One other thing: If you are having better success with the portable version (although at least one of your crashes happened with the portable) you might well have a problem in your original config file.
It would be worth renaming and saving the .ini file from your main installation, which will force Reaper to generate a new clean reaper.ini file & seeing if that crashes still.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
Faderjockey

Thanks all Reaper on my drive is gone I wiped Appdata regedit all gone..
But my sort of working 5.70 portable that now really seems to only crash when I bounce a mix out..it will complete but it crashes after.. I'm not sure if Reaper is letting go of the driver and then can't reconnect once you close that window and then it just quits..

But I made a copy of that 5.70 portable and renamed it myconfig. Then once I opened that version I installed myconfig which I've use for years and maybe like 4 people I know use that as a starting point who I've turned on to Reaper.. Well now soon as that imports and reboots Reaper crashes.. And it's one of those things I've had for so log I don't even know what's Reaper default and what's my tweaks anymore because I've used it for so long. When I'm on a clean version I sort of feel like a new DAW anyway..

But other thing..I tried 5.71pre10 as portable just to see if something got fixed.. and it installed but when you setup device Apollo listing is only Firewire or USB the option for Thunderbolt is missing on that version so I can't test it.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
karbomusic

The one thing that hasn't changed is the sound card and transport protocol (Thunderbolt) unless I missed something. I was going to mention early on that all this nuke and pave action for the OS likely isn't the issue but you were moving so fast.

My money is on the UAD/TB/Driver portion. FWIW, the ucrtbase.dll has to do with the c runtime but I'd be willing to ignore it specifically as the problem and more about what uses it which is likely the sound card driver.

Just for clarity here is the definition of the two error codes in the crash logs, both of which are not letting the sound card or thunderbolt off the hook per se:

C:\>err 0xc0000409
# for hex 0xc0000409 / decimal -1073740791 :
STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN ntstatus.h
# The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in
# this application.
# 1 matches found for "0xc0000409"

C:\>err c0000005

# for hex 0xc0000005 / decimal -1073741819 :
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

It could also be something as simple as Windows 10 and TB not playing nicely. What happens if you do one of these bounces using the dummy sound driver? It would be nice to get a repro with TB and UAD completely out of the picture.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-12-2018 at 11:50 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
Faderjockey

Thanks.. Yep I know it's the ASIO issue I can see that in the logs.
the issue is I need to work and wondering what the fix is? It's beyond what I can do from here it seems.. I keep telling myself which doesn't help.. I really should have left the RME digiface in when my SSL died and bought used Apogee 16x's or something to keep working.. But I figured I step up to something new.. Not happy right now.. the Apollo seems to work great I guess as long as I don't use Reaper..
I got it working pretty stable again except for that mixdown render part it crashes..
I wish Justin or someone had a fix for this would be awesome timing I really need it...I don't want to stall these guys who've been waiting on my change over anymore..
Old 01-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Thanks.. Yep I know it's the ASIO issue I can see that in the logs.
If you set things up so that it creates a crash dump, justin can probably look and see the problem. The quickest way if you are PC savvy is to just download procdump, attach it, then zip and make the dump available to Justin.

There are two ways to do it, mini dump which will result in a much smaller dump and likely enough for Justin - full dump which is the entire memory footprint of reaper. Here are the commands to attach..

-Launch Reaper

-CD to where you extracted procdump.exe

-Attach procdump to reaper and monitor for a crash...

Mini Dump: procdump -e reaper.exe c:\temp\reaper.dmp

Full Dump: procdump -e -ma reaper.exe c:\temp\reaper.dmp

-Do what you do to cause the crash and the dump will be written to the path you specified in the command. I can peek at it but chances are what matters will be in reaper code that I don't have symbols for. You can probably configure the OS to do this minus procdump but this is a little faster as I know it from memory.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
Faderjockey

Thanks I will do my best to try to see if I can do that.. I have gig tonight and tomorrow then out of town..I'm working on something right now and Reaper has be ok but I keep saving as I go and haven't bounced yet..
But I saved real quick and needed to open the UAD Meter just to peek to see where I'm at usage wise but I had this feelling and I was right soon as I opened that..and the UAD meter window popped up over Reaper edit window it crashed and quit.
It def doesn't like something about the UAD stuff.. shame going between the UAD my normal plugs and Console1 it's all sounding great and seems ok until BAM!! crash back to reality..
Old 01-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks I will do my best to try to see if I can do that.. I have gig tonight and tomorrow then out of town..I'm working on something right now and Reaper has be ok but I keep saving as I go and haven't bounced yet..
But I saved real quick and needed to open the UAD Meter just to peek to see where I'm at usage wise but I had this feelling and I was right soon as I opened that..and the UAD meter window popped up over Reaper edit window it crashed and quit.
It def doesn't like something about the UAD stuff.. shame going between the UAD my normal plugs and Console1 it's all sounding great and seems ok until BAM!! crash back to reality..
Just to save me reading again, did you play around with Reaper's setting to let go of the driver when it loses focus or vice versa? Seems like I've asked this recently but don't think it was in this thread.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #15
Faderjockey

Yes and didn't help some settings made it so it didn't see the Apollo at all.
I'll mess with it again. I was bouncing a rough mix now and wanted to test realtime instead of offline.. and that was worse. As soon as I hit render it just quit as fast as I hit the button.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #16
Faderjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If you set things up so that it creates a crash dump, justin can probably look and see the problem. The quickest way if you are PC savvy is to just download procdump, attach it, then zip and make the dump available to Justin.

There are two ways to do it, mini dump which will result in a much smaller dump and likely enough for Justin - full dump which is the entire memory footprint of reaper. Here are the commands to attach..

-Launch Reaper

-CD to where you extracted procdump.exe

-Attach procdump to reaper and monitor for a crash...

Mini Dump: procdump -e reaper.exe c:\temp\reaper.dmp

Full Dump: procdump -e -ma reaper.exe c:\temp\reaper.dmp

-Do what you do to cause the crash and the dump will be written to the path you specified in the command. I can peek at it but chances are what matters will be in reaper code that I don't have symbols for. You can probably configure the OS to do this minus procdump but this is a little faster as I know it from memory.
ok may need this in better detail.. when I double click procdump64 it flashes and runs the terminal quick then it's gone. Not sure how to attach that and Reaper to record.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
ok may need this in better detail.. when I double click procdump64 it flashes and runs the terminal quick then it's gone. Not sure how to attach that and Reaper to record.
Yea, the PC savvy part, you need to extract it then run it from a command line aka CMD.exe. The commands are what I wrote in the other post. If you are not familiar with running stuff from the command line don't waste too much time over it.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #18
Faderjockey

I can sort of with compy paste was a little use o it during my time messing with Ubuntu.. But the terminal flashed so quick..and when O open commend prompt I'm not savvy I guess to get it to look in another directory or how to have that Procdump look at Reaper.. I really want to I'd love to send him something if it would help me and others.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #19
Faderjockey

By the way.. I turned off the close audio stuff to see and didn't make a difference..
Dumb question because now I can't remember.. when system works well I don't look for crap you know? but.. on a normal working rig when you bounce offline does Reaper always let go of interface then grab it again once it's complete?

cause even if I switch those close audio features when I go to bounce a mix offline up in the right corner it says no audio device during the bounce and of course once done doesn't grab it again and there's your crash!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
on a normal working rig when you bounce offline does Reaper always let go of interface then grab it again once it's complete?

cause even if I switch those close audio features when I go to bounce a mix offline up in the right corner it says no audio device during the bounce and of course once done doesn't grab it again and there's your crash!
That's what made me think using the dummy audio driver (as a test) would not cause a crash. But since we already pretty much know the general area of the problem, such a test likely isn't getting us any closer to resolution. We could look at this from the other angle, instead of reaper letting go/acquiring control of the sound card, is there anything else like Windows itself that could be causing a conflict when switching back and forth, and does using WASAPI etc. work better which avoids ASIO.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #21
Faderjockey

I got it to not crash after bounce!!

I know you may have thought of this but with all the crap I was trying maybe I over looked this. I checked ignore ASIO reset (for buggy drivers) it grabbed the Apollo again.. no crash
Old 01-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
I can sort of with compy paste was a little use o it during my time messing with Ubuntu.. But the terminal flashed so quick..and when O open commend prompt I'm not savvy I guess to get it to look in another directory or how to have that Procdump look at Reaper.. I really want to I'd love to send him something if it would help me and others.
Basically you could do this...

SHIFT+Right click the folder you extracted procmon to. Depending on whether you have the creators update or not you'll have one of two choices in the context menu that pops up...

"Open command window here" or "open powershell window here".

That will open cmd.exe or powershell for you and already in the right directory. Then just paste the command above you wish to use (if you don't have a C:\temp folder, you may need to create it first). When you get it right it looks like this:

When the crash occurs, you'll see that window update with something like "writing dump.... blah, blah..."
Old 01-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #23
Faderjockey

Well when I did try that earlier ther terminal said it couldn't find the path.. I'll try again later..and I'll see if it still won't crash now that I selected that ASIO buggy option
Old 01-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:
Well when I did try that earlier ther terminal said it couldn't find the path.. I'll try again later..and I'll see if it still won't crash now that I selected that ASIO buggy option
The path at the end of the command needs to exist. I just happen to keep my own "temp" folder in the root of the C: drive because I find it incredibly handy. However, procdump won't create that temp folder if it doesn't already exist hence my suggestion to create it manually first.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #25
PitchSlap

I've also been getting ucrtbase.dll related crashes.

Reaper will just disappear, with no warning, or dialog.

I'd me more likely to suspect a Windows 10 update being the culprit, but it could also be Reaper.

I've got countless crashes over the last decade (no slight at Reaper or Cockos), but none of them have been this random vanishing act.

There's also a big thread on the Facebook Reaper user's group about 5.7 being more crash-prone, but hard to say how relevant it is, and again with Win10's forced auto-updates, a Reaper update might not be the only common factor at play.

Quote:
Faulting application name: reaper_host64.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5a59781f
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.16299.125, time stamp: 0x70f70cc4
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000006b70e
Faulting process id: 0x2df8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d38c2326cf9830
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\reaper_host64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: d39c2e97-bd24-4168-9b62-14e7cf0124d2

Last edited by PitchSlap; 01-12-2018 at 09:48 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #26
soundfx

Default Having similar issues

I had a quick speed read of the thread and I'm having similar issues.

- Reaper 5.7/x64
- Win 10 64 (Fall Creators Update 1709)

- UAD Apollo 8 Thunderbolt
- UAD 9.4

Background. I work in game audio and use Reaper at work with RME audio device. It's rock solid, and IIRC has never crashed.

I work from home occasionally, the main difference is at home I have UAD Apollo 8.

Anyway, while working from home I've had 'crash on render', the simplest of projects with very few plugins.

However, the biggest problem I have is that I close Reaper after saving what I was working on. To return a few days later after working with other DAWS to find it simply crashes immediately after loading (I always start with empty project).

I initially wondered if it was due to the sample rate / buffer size changing and now try and maintain similar across all DAWS/NLE. I still get crashes.

All plugins are paid for and up-to-date.

Anyway, I've now given up on customizing Reaper as I have to delete my config too often.

Following.

Last edited by soundfx; 01-13-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Typo
soundfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #27
Faderjockey

I have mine working still off the jump drive and I even got my config in so it looks and feels normal to me.. today only crash was Slate VMR was working on a gtr part.. then dragged that plugin over to another gtr and Reaper hung then I had to force quit.

When that happens or if the computer reboots on it's own the PC will see the Apollo after that fine.. But Reaper never does. I restart again my self and then Reaper is fine. But I bounced 2 things today and after Render was fine no crash..
I still have the ignore ASIO rest thing checked.

I'm seriously thinking about putting one of my RME digiface/PCI or PCIe card back in my i5 (office machine was my studio machine before new build) and buying a used Rosetta 800 or something.. that way I have a back tracking rig this something goes wrong again and I have clients standing here.. I wouldn't have the UAD stuff but at least I'd still be able to track..
Old 06-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #28
faun2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I've also been getting ucrtbase.dll related crashes.

Reaper will just disappear, with no warning, or dialog.

I'd me more likely to suspect a Windows 10 update being the culprit, but it could also be Reaper.

Same here - Closing unexpectedly here because of this: ucrtbase.dll

Very annoying. Was probably the last windows update as was working OK before that.

Also had Melda plugins cause a couple of crashes. One thing I noticed is that Reaper with just close even when i leave it and it is doing noting for 5 minutes!

I come back to PC and it is gone.

Need to sort this.

http://bit.ly/free-sample-packs- Totally Free High Quality Sample Packs
faun2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:17 PM   #29
siperwrx

Has anyone found a solution to this? I can't even get Reaper to start due to ucrtbase.dll crashing constantly. I've re-installed Reaper and even downgraded to older versions with no luck.
siperwrx is offline   Reply With Quote