Old 09-16-2020, 07:54 PM   #1
vocalnick
Human being with feelings

Default Read multi-channel audio in video files?

Hey all,

I'm using OBS to record some videos with multiple audio channels. Currently recording to MKV and then re-muxing to MP4. I'm wondering if there's any simple way to get them into Reaper for video/audio manipulation with the multi-audio intact?

They come into Premiere Pro OK with multiple audio channels, but dropping them into Reaper only seems to recognise the first stereo tracks. I've tried both the MKV and MP4 files and get the same behaviour in both. Item Properties only reports 2 audio channels.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-17-2020, 04:29 AM   #2
FixItInPost

I read somewhere on the forum that REAPER cannot handle multi-stream/track audio, just multi channel audio, hence the "Channel Mode" option within the Media Item Properties window.

Read my post on this thread which explains (rather verbosely and possibly confusingly) the difference between channels and streams (a.k.a. tracks).

It would seem that OBS exports separate streams and that is why REAPER only reads the first stream.

If you're familiar with FFmpeg you could write a batch/bash file that takes the multi audio stream MKV files and exports separate audio files for each stream
FixItInPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:19 AM   #3
vocalnick

Hey, thanks for the reply 🙂

That makes perfect sense. It would be lovely if Reaper could interpret the streams and treat them as channels, but I (more or less... sort of) understand that they are different things.

I’ll look into an FFMPEG solution if it comes up often, but I might just export WAVs from Premiere Pro in the meantime.

Thanks again!
Old 09-22-2020, 04:34 AM   #4
vocalnick

Incase anybody comes across this later, I found an open-source program called MKVToolNIX which let me split out the separate audio tracks as MKA files.

I had some weird behaviour with the MKAs and Reaper (crashing and whatnot) but the Remux function in OBS let me change them to MP4, which Reaper handles with aplomb.

This is all done without any transcoding, so it was SUPER fast.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
EpicSounds

I use FFmpeg Batch AV Converter to get audio tracks out of my obs recordings. I skip the OBS remux function.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
SonicAxiom

in case you are interested: I just added new functionality to my AVConvert tool (see its thread here). You can now right-click a video file containing 2 stereo audio streams and merge-convert those into a 4-channel wave file.