COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 03-22-2020, 03:37 AM   #1
elgourmet
Human being with feelings

Default Here Is How To Run The Server On Windows 10

quick and straight to the point:

download this exe file --> https://stash.reaper.fm/38554/ninjamserver_0_071.zip

download these additional files --> https://www.cockos.com/ninjam/downlo...rver_0.071.zip

put the downloaded exe file into the ninjam/server directory.

open a command line (hit windows key, enter "cmd", press enter)

navigate to the ninjam/server directory and run the command "ninjamserver_0_071 example.cfg"

(the example.cfg file is the config file where you can make your own adjustments)
elgourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
CavanStudio

Hello! Thanks for the info, after 3 days I was able to create a private server with your instructions. I have both Win10 and Mac OS X and definitively it's easier creating the servir with Win10.

At the beginning I was only able to access the server only from the localhost:2049. After updating the Port Forwarding in my router, I was also able to access the Win10 Server from my Mac OS X computer, which are in the same Network.

In resume: I'm able to access the ReaNINJAM both from the Win10 laptop as well as from my Mac OS X laptop, however, when my bass player wants to access (I created the same access as mine -which works- but with his name), he gets the error "Can't connect to host".

Any idea what's going on? Thanks in advance! Max.
CavanStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
pljones

Sounds like a firewall issue somewhere.

Or the IP address you're giving out isn't the right one.

The second one is easier to fix - so what IP address are you giving your bass player? Is it your public address (look that up on google and it'll tell you) or your LAN address - it needs to be the public one.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
akademie

To find out your external IP address, try
https://www.whatismyip.com/what-is-my-public-ip-address
Then the IP address which will be shown at that web page can be used to connect from the outside.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
CavanStudio

Thanks pljones and akademie, both were correct as I was using the local address. So what I did was to create an account on My No IP and set up the DCU tool.

Everything is set and the bass player is still unable to access the server, neither I get any type of connections in the CMD as it happens when I logging from the LAN.

Do I need to create an outbound rule for port 2049 as well?

the server name is aobninjam.sytes.net:2049
Old 03-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
pljones

Do you have a firewall on your router (in addition to any port forwarding)? (Some do.)

Have you told Windows to allow incoming connections from anywhere to your server on port 2049? (Because Windows won't allow it by default.)
Old 03-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
CavanStudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
Do you have a firewall on your router (in addition to any port forwarding)? (Some do.)

Have you told Windows to allow incoming connections from anywhere to your server on port 2049? (Because Windows won't allow it by default.)
Hi! As far as I know the only firewall is in the PC, not in the router (which already has the port forwarding).

I also created a rule in the Windows Firewall to allow inbound connections to port 2049 :S
Old 03-25-2020, 02:25 AM   #8
pljones

netstat -a -b

You should have a line showing ninjamsvr LISTENING on 0.0.0.0:2049, right?

I don't think you need any outbound rules unless Windows 10 changes something:

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/...24362&seqNum=2
Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #9
CavanStudio

Quote:
netstat -a -b

You should have a line showing ninjamsvr LISTENING on 0.0.0.0:2049, right?

I don't think you need any outbound rules unless Windows 10 changes something:

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/...24362&seqNum=2
It seems the port is also listening:

C:\Windows\system32>netstat -na | find "2049"
TCP 0.0.0.0:2049 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
Old 03-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #10
pljones

OK, that was a long shot. Now I'm stumped. Perhaps your ISP is blocking inbound connections (to protect you, you know, from nasty people on the internet).

I can't think of anything else diagnostic to try - i.e. that would give an answer that added to the picture ("I'm stumped!" to shorten that)...

Just to check - every time you run the server, you're checking your external IP address and you're sending that to the bass player straight away by chat or whatever and they can cut-n-paste it into JamTaba or ReaNINJAM to connect? If they have to re-type it, you'd better check they've not simply mistyped it...
Old 03-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #11
CavanStudio

Quote:
OK, that was a long shot. Now I'm stumped. Perhaps your ISP is blocking inbound connections (to protect you, you know, from nasty people on the internet).

I can't think of anything else diagnostic to try - i.e. that would give an answer that added to the picture ("I'm stumped!" to shorten that)...

Just to check - every time you run the server, you're checking your external IP address and you're sending that to the bass player straight away by chat or whatever and they can cut-n-paste it into JamTaba or ReaNINJAM to connect? If they have to re-type it, you'd better check they've not simply mistyped it...
Yes pljones, I'm sharing the external IP address so he can copy/paste and avoid any typing issues. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it! I will keep checking for a solution and share it as I know how to solve this. Cheers!
Old 04-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #12
elgourmet

is your pc that runs the server connected to a router that uses ipv6? ninjam only supports ipv4 AFAIK
elgourmet is offline   Reply With Quote