Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

Default Basic Video Recording into reaper arrange

i'd like the ability to record/capture reasonable quality video directly into reaper so that it's synced to any audio i've recorded at the same time.

why?

I've started using video as a 'visual click track' for multitracking free-time performances (no set tempo )which is about 10x easier and quicker to play in additional parts tight to the original when you have a video to refer to for its visual cues.

its something i discovered a while back, and it really is amazingly effective, almost to the point i don't want to tell anyone.

-

at the moment i video the 'part' (whilst recording audio into reaper), then must transfer the video onto the pc and import into reaper & then sync it up before i can continue, losing a bit of the time saved by having the video in the first place. it also makes re-takes and punch in's a pain.

-

I wouldn't need or expect full hd or any of that, just a watchable experience that is in reaper and synced to any recorded audio straight off the bat.

far from being a 'video' feature i see this as a musical feature, engineers & performers struggle to multitrack tempo-free pieces, and so end up playing to a click in order to multitrack effectively, sucking the life out of the tune in the process.

this would really help in that situation, and simple video recording into reaper would aid that - anyone with a webcam can then employ the above technique, and/or find other uses.

am not getting my hopes up since it involves the word 'video' but i put it to you that its a fine idea.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 08-17-2011 at 06:38 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
setvice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post

I've started using video as a 'visual click track' for multitracking free-time performances (no set tempo )which is about 10x easier and quicker to play in additional parts tight to the original when you have a video to refer to for its visual cues.

its something i discovered a while back, and it really is amazingly effective, almost to the point i don't want to tell anyone.

)
My goodness, that's a great idea!
setvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:02 AM   #3
leafac

It’s 10 years late, but here’s my take on this problem: I built a bridge between REAPER and OBS so that you can start/stop recording in both in sync. The resulting video just shows up in the REAPER timeline, ready to edit.

leafac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:32 AM   #4
Dstruct

+1

I would love screencapturing inside REAPER (no LICEcap needed)

-> record-arm a track in REAPER
-> choose "Screencapture" as input (with suboptions like "Desktop", "active Application window", "Webcam", "show mouse clicks")
-> record

Result: Video recorded on REAPER track

This would be dope :-)
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:56 PM   #5
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
+1

I would love screencapturing inside REAPER (no LICEcap needed)

-> record-arm a track in REAPER
-> choose "Screencapture" as input (with suboptions like "Desktop", "active Application window", "Webcam", "show mouse clicks")
-> record

Result: Video recorded on REAPER track

This would be dope :-)
Wow! +1
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote