Old 12-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #161
andyp24
Human being with feelings

I don't have a strong opinion on this, as I don't think it's something I would ever do on purpose :-)
andyp24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #162
amagalma

Since no protests have been made, no cars have been broken and no shops have been put on fire, I' ll go on with the envelopes

For that edge case, is this what would be expected?:
before:

after:
Old 12-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #163
andyp24

I would say so, yes.
Mostly, automation exists in the context of the audio it "belongs to" so whatever can be done to make all automation stay in sync is what's desired. In the case where "new audio" is being revealed by the edge move, continuing the previous value seems the most logical action to me.
andyp24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:38 AM   #164
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
I would say so, yes.
Mostly, automation exists in the context of the audio it "belongs to" so whatever can be done to make all automation stay in sync is what's desired. In the case where "new audio" is being revealed by the edge move, continuing the previous value seems the most logical action to me.
Fully agreed!
Old 01-13-2021, 02:41 PM   #165
amagalma

After a looong but (very much) needed break**, it's been 3 days that I am back on the script in order to finish it
[[**: Actually it was not a break from coding but from this script... I had the chance to study a little bit things that I did not know at all and I have developed a nice little script in GNU Octave ]]

Re-implemented envelope support:
(both ripple modes, master track envelopes, and both 'Maintain left edge' modes should be ok)

Left to go on envelopes:
- fix implementation of "Add edge points when ripple editing or inserting time" (currently off)
- re-implement Automation Item support for Hybrid mode

Marker/Region support for Ripple All tracks mode:

(I still have to fix something in Left edge editing, that is why I do not show it in the gif)

Regarding tempo envelopes: Reaper always moves the points of the tempo envelope when one ripples (moves) items, regardless of the setting of "Options: Move envelope points with media items and razor edits".

I think it should not happen when rippling the edges and I chose not to follow that. Tempo envelope points are moved only if that option is on when rippling edges with the script. What do you think?
Old 01-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #166
X-Raym

A well deserved break ! Looks good !

For tempo envelope I think it should only happen with the All track mode with automation follows items options on.

Good luck with the next part :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:57 AM   #167
Boop

Default wow!

Hi all

This is my first post here on the forum, so hi! I - like Andy - am a long time SADiE user, but I'm all too aware of its limitations and lack of development. I've used Reaper for ages as a simple multitrack recorder (which it excels at) but I'm only beginning to explore a workflow for editing.

This kind of development is really exciting, and total respect to Amagalma and all the other guys working to make all this stuff work!

I guess my question is - you've put so much work into this and it is such a fundamental improvement to the way ripple works... isn't there a mechanism by which this kind of script can be integrated directly into the release candidate of Reaper, and you can get reimbursed properly for all the time you've spent making it through those payments? I'd obviously very happily help by buying myself, but that's not quite so easy when you're trying to make those purchases through a corporate purchasing setup.
Boop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:25 AM   #168
X-Raym

Quote:
isn't there a mechanism by which this kind of script can be integrated directly into the release candidate of Reaper, and you can get reimbursed properly for all the time you've spent making it through those payments?

Absolutely not :S scripts are very different beast that native code. They never gets integrated. Sometimes (but very rarely) they can give inspiration like Sexan Area Selectition (and now Razor Edits in reaper pre releases) but it is far from a direct integration, the fact sexan explored this mostly help for debugging, I'm pretty sure not a single line of code is common between this and the native equivalent.

This isn't necessarly bad, as scripts allows external developers to focus and extend certain feature with ease and speed. (but sure sometimes, we script things we wish could be native :P)

EDIT; if you have corporate fund, this will for sure help any scripter you will support !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:39 AM   #169
Boop

Understood.

I totally understand this flexibility is what makes Reaper great, and I suppose my case is reasonably niche...

What I'm saying is the flip side is that in a corporate environment buying via somewhere with an official shopfront is way easier than trying to get a purchasing department to deal with someones paypal (by which i mean the latter is basically impossible). When something user made is such an important part of how the DAW performs for a given task for a set of users, the ideal scenario is obviously for that functionality to be native. I mean it entirely as a complement - the effort that has gone into this is so great it seems like an obvious native feature candidate, and it's only right amagalma gets paid fairly!
Boop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:21 AM   #170
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boop View Post
Understood.

I totally understand this flexibility is what makes Reaper great, and I suppose my case is reasonably niche...

What I'm saying is the flip side is that in a corporate environment buying via somewhere with an official shopfront is way easier than trying to get a purchasing department to deal with someones paypal (by which i mean the latter is basically impossible). When something user made is such an important part of how the DAW performs for a given task for a set of users, the ideal scenario is obviously for that functionality to be native. I mean it entirely as a complement - the effort that has gone into this is so great it seems like an obvious native feature candidate, and it's only right amagalma gets paid fairly!

Hello Boop! Welcome to the forum and thank you for the kind words!

Yes, I understand that it is an unusual situation when from one side you have a corporate environment and the other side a freelance scripter with PayPal.. I've dealt with this in the past, and the only thing I could do was to issue a PayPal Invoice, which fortunately worked and the purchase was made. But I don't know what else *I* could do besides this..

Although it would be nice to have this and many other things as native features, the fact that Reaper gives you the ability to script and extend its feature set is really awesome! In fact, I love and use Reaper for this reason! A vanilla Reaper with no scripting ability would be equal to any other DAW for me. But as it is now, it is clearly far superior of any other competitive product for my needs. I had zero programming skills a few years ago. I got into this because I needed tools that I didn't have (as X-Raym said: "we script things we wish could be native")..

Anyway... The script is finished, a couple of features have been added and some things were improved, so later today or tomorrow I am going to announce it officially