Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
Twpinson
Human being with feelings

Default Volume levels fine on individual tracks but Bus in yellow...

So I’m recording a 4 track drumset performance. 2 OH mics, kick and snare. I routed the two OHs together and then everything to a master bus and adjusted the volume so that everything was sitting around -18. When I play the individual tracks are all green but the red light is coming on for the bus...
1) Is this normal?
2) Is this a problem?
3) If so, what should I do about it?

I haven’t actually recorded anything and there’s no effects currently on...wanted to get the levels right after recording a bit too hot last time. I know the physics of it states that multiple waves will amplify, but I wanted to make sure this won’t be an issue in creating distortion/clipping in the final mix.
Twpinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #2
DVDdoug

Mixing is done by summation so the mix is always higher, until you turn down the master...

...Analog mixers are actually built around something called a summing amplifier, but of course mixers also have faders for each channel, plus a master fader.

Going "into the red" during mixing/editing/processing isn't a problem for REAPER because it uses floating-point for internal processing and there is virtually no limit.

When you render you should keep your peaks below 0dB, unless you render to floating-point WAV, and then re-import for a separate mastering step where you adjust your levels.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:12 AM   #3
Twpinson

So I should just turn down the master fader? Or not worry about it as long as the recorded tracks aren’t clipping and sort this out after processing?
Twpinson is offline   Reply With Quote