Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 12-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #41
lerian
Human being with feelings

I don't want to offend anyone but it looks like the reaper default theme is going from bad to worse. With some tweaks v4 is still is the most usable and easy on the eyes theme i use, hopefully it will be supported further.

Some things are a nice addition but it looks like even though some intentions were good, the implementation looks and feels unfinished and not really thought out from the UX point of view. I mean, nowadays all the major daws focus a lot on usability and how the interface meets the needs of the user and i really feel disappointed. Blending flat elements with skeuomorphism, lack of balance, throwing buttons and color around like in a circus are the opposite of inspiring - actually its straight out ugly.

Being a theme tweaker myself back in the days, i found it very frustrating to make it look better because walter is far from being designer friendly and even lacks proper documentation. Looking at v6 rtconfig.txt i was instantly repelled, and looking for some docs to make sense of it haven't found any to properly guide me to adapt my old v4 theme to the v6 functionality. And instead of focusing on design, i accumulate frustration trying to understand what is what and where it goes.

It really boggles me why the focus on some gimmicks that could be added via a plugin (color schemes to name just one) and the lack of focus on some really useful and asked for settings like theming all the windows of reaper and vector support (!) to make theme development faster and easier and the users happy - scaling it on individual preference.

I'm afraid that until designers will be encouraged with a, say, a more css-like walter, proper documentation, vector support, full theming and full scaling, or maybe a (yeah, i know im way far off) theme development proggie that automatically writes the walter code.. reaper will look and feel unfinished and unappealing (as even the best themes do).

Unfortunately with v6 i felt that reaper is going somewhere not that nice.I hope im wrong but after installing and playing a bit with it i uninstalled it and went back to 5.99 because v6 felt sluggish and slow compared to v5. I even did some tests and the same project in v6 used almost double the CPU and 35-50% more ram. And in the changelog it says performance improvements and less heavy on resources? I don't know.. looks like something is not quite right here.

So back to my handmade v4 mod, and hoping for a better future.

lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #42
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
I absolutely LOVED his earlier work that Imperial was legendary!
It sure does look great, but for me it can't compete in ease of use and efficiency of real estate with the 5 and 6 defaults.

I wish that wasn't true, because I would like to use a sexy looking theme.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #43
talustalus

I don't know if it's the program itself that's the bottleneck, but the themes on Reaper leave a lot to be desired.

Aesthetics is something Reaper fails at. It's unfortunate.

Something in the fundamentals of the coding that's too hard to change now, maybe? I have no idea how it works but they all suffer from the same ailments and theme v6 is no different.

My wish is that the Reaper aesthetic is updated at some point to present day capabilities in UI.
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #44
poetnprophet

I'm sorry, but I am partly laughing at this situation because, for the nearly 2 years I've been using Reaper and a part of the forums, all I the feedback I ever hear about the theme was negative, negative, negative....with many hopes of an updated theme for the new version. Now the new version is here and the disappointment is fucking hilarious!!!!! If you take a step back, you just have to laugh.

But, I'm also partly crying because I do feel all of the sentiments...then and now. V5 was already miles below what all other DAW themes offer (in terms of aesthetics only), the fx windows and menus. And much of those complaints were not addressed at all in v6, and some things absolutely took a turn for the worst....such as the transport.

But in all honestly, who cares...it's just aesthetics, right? There seem to be many, many more improvements aside from the unimproved aesthetics, and at the end of the day I am still able to get my work done. Personally, I never like anything default so I was probably never going to be satisfied by this, but all other themes are still valid so, on with the show!
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #45
ANDYZ

Nice theme, but fader parts always reminded me of this:

ANDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #46
DeathByGuitar

Yeah the V6 UI feels like a step back in a lot of ways. Not nearly as consistent as V5 or V4. I understand why WT doesn't want to have too many cooks in the kitchen when designing the thing...but damn.

At least we can count on some awesome 3rd party themes in the coming months.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #47
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It sure does look great, but for me it can't compete in ease of use and efficiency of real estate with the 5 and 6 defaults.

I wish that wasn't true, because I would like to use a sexy looking theme.
I was going to say the same thing. I really think the differences in opinion we are seeing comes down to differences in GUI setup options relative to users screen sizes and viewing distances, coupled to screen quality and calibration.

The Imperial theme looked like a skeuomorphic triumph that would suit a small number of users (perhaps with a couple of extremely large monitors?), but for most small screen users a step in the wrong direction in terms of practicality.

This Reaper 6 really seems surprisingly controversial, something of a marmite theme. Hopefully it can be further tweaked to address the growing number of unhappy users concerns.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #48
lerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
But in all honestly, who cares...it's just aesthetics, right? There seem to be many, many more improvements aside from the unimproved aesthetics, and at the end of the day I am still able to get my work done.
Well not quite. Aesthetics is way more than more believe it is.

"Don Ruggles (2017), a prominent architect in Denver, Colorado believes there are three components that make for a “beautiful” building: form, use, and beauty.13Although the word “beautiful” is fundamentally subjective, the feeling associated with it is universal. Seeing something we define as beautiful causes us to feel pleasure. The feeling of pleasure is a result of oxytocin, endorphins and DHEA being released inside our brain.14If the sole purpose of buildings is form, or a place where humans can simply gather for some specific purpose, why then would they have the ability to positively impact us physiologically? Again, the answer has its basis in evolution ..."
Continue reading here - The Psychological Impact of Architectural Design: https://scholarship.claremont.edu/cg...ext=cmc_theses

Also: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...r-citys-design

And now translate this to GUI design, end even more important on DAW design. You know, the tools people use to make ART.

Being a designer myself, when i first opened reaper (v4) i just couldn't do anything before giving it a proper UI. I wished that Logic, FLStudio or other DAWs have the level of customization reaper does. So i started to mod my own theme with proper colors and contrast and balance between elements. And then i could sit in front of reaper and do something without being distracted and
annoyed by its interface.

And this is why im so disappointed in the reaper team for not realizing how important design+ux is, and how damaging or profitable to the business can be. FLstudio nailed it, Logic nailed it, Cubase too, Bitwig did it big time, and all the rest of the daws and plugin developers out there focus a lot on design. We do love and feel inspired by beautiful women, don't we? Thats why the muses are what muses are. https://whttps://www.google.com/search?q=muses&tbm=isch

Last edited by lerian; 12-04-2019 at 05:56 PM.
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #49
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerian View Post

And this is why im so disappointed in the reaper team for not realizing how important design+ux is, and how damaging or profitable to the business can be.
I agree it is important for tools but only to a point, at some point it's just satisfying a small ergroup of whom are sensitive to it and has less bearing beyond that. Not only that, beautiful visuals can distract from the audial or rather augment it psychologically which we don't want.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #50
poetnprophet

I disagree almost entirely. That's ok, right?

Think about what you're saying, that "ugly" things are useless just because they are ugly? And if you ask the entire population here "are you able to get your work done in reaper as it is", what percentage would say yes despite it being ugly?

In 2012 I bought my first Mustang...a 1986 convertible. It was a bit smashed in the front end, had mixmatched rims/tires, mixmatched seats..blah blah blah. Ugly ass car, but beautiful in my eyes. And, under the hood it was bitchin BEAST! Fun fun fun as fxck to drive, let me just tell you. People would look at it like o.O ... but when I hit the throttle it was all eyebrows....and tailights

Sure, good design and aesthetics can certainly enhance the experience, but I would absolutely not say it MAKES the experience. Hot chicks not withstanding...
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
Think about what you're saying, that "ugly" things are useless just because they are ugly?
There is a point of looking good that's truly fluff for fluff's sake but... I was going to photoshop something as a joke but gotta lay a track in a few...

There's a also point of ugly that would make things quite uncomfortable and difficult to use. Reaper is at neither of those extremes but it is reasonable for some to be bothered less or more comparatively on an individual basis.

I absolutely get what makes you laugh though, it's been pretty much the same responses for 4, 5 and 6. It would be literally impossible for even the vast majority to love a new theme IMHO. But I do think there are some improvements that need to be made for more middle of the road usability reasons so maybe those will survive the noise and be taken seriously.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #52
arcy

Quote:
Transport bar is hilariously out of proportion, especially in large monitors. It should be aligned to the left (or at least an option of left or right). But stretching it out over a huge monitor? Nope. Not for me. I have pro work to do here

Is there a way to condense the space that the transport bar takes up? Right now it's a comical amount of wasted space stretching from the exact pixel-perfect upper left corner to upper right corner of my massive monitor. The rate control is buried up there and I have to travel a large distance to access basic features. Can this transport be "un justified" please? Like a left align controls?

It's cleaner to have blank space on right side vs. all over the transport in small pockets. Please?
Even scrolling to see this image in full shows you a preview of how annoying it can be to travel your mouse all over the huge transport spread out!

And no, center transport controls doesn't solve this It just changes what contents are at the extreme lefts and rights.

Thank you!
This.
I also dislike scheumorfism in play and rec buttons.

I like the new flat icons and the new color palette.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #53
vertibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
IMHO the theme is a complete failure, but nevermind that. There is not enough contrast (and again some things jump out at you too much with the rest of the theme being dark), the mix of faux 3D with flat is as appalling as it was in R5 theme, the I/O button makes no sense at all and is too hard to parse at a glance, everything EricTbone said, the green background on various dialogs is offputting, especially in MIDI editor... The list goes on. It looks messy and unprofessional, overall. Probably the worst thing WT ever did, sorry WT but take it like a man.
Agreed. It looks pretty busted up. Sticking with other themes till they fix this.
vertibration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #54
Phillipoque

No support for 125% scaling.
Big disappointment for me :-(
Phillipoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:43 PM   #55
_Stevie_

Quote:
I disagree almost entirely. That's ok, right?

Think about what you're saying, that "ugly" things are useless just because they are ugly? And if you ask the entire population here "are you able to get your work done in reaper as it is", what percentage would say yes despite it being ugly?

In 2012 I bought my first Mustang...a 1986 convertible. It was a bit smashed in the front end, had mixmatched rims/tires, mixmatched seats..blah blah blah. Ugly ass car, but beautiful in my eyes. And, under the hood it was bitchin BEAST! Fun fun fun as fxck to drive, let me just tell you. People would look at it like o.O ... but when I hit the throttle it was all eyebrows....and tailights

Sure, good design and aesthetics can certainly enhance the experience, but I would absolutely not say it MAKES the experience. Hot chicks not withstanding...
And I completely disagree here. You can’t compare a car with a UI. A UI is something I’ll be looking at the whole day. It needs to be easy on the eyes and make elements distinguishable. Most of the “ugliness” here comes from mixing together a lot of different styles. There’s no visual coherence. And that’s exactly the problem.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #56
zookthespook

I have been using beatwing for the past 2 years or so..this is the first time I switched to the default theme , just used it for a few hours and all seems so far so good.
The gui seems snappier , the color and tint settings seem a little better than before .
As reaper is a constantly updated , i hope the dev look at some of the common problems and come up with a solution . I agree with lokasenna that all previous issues should be resolved before moving forward. Now maybe the Dev's can give new issues a break and start fixing all the issues which people constantly bring up on this forum . For everything a script cannot be an answer and leaving end users to be at the mercy of script and theme developers may not be the best case scenario for non coders.

As far as R6 theme.

Likes -
Hi dpi
Snappier feel
Darker theme ( prefer as i work 12 to 14 hrs on it )

Dislikes
1.The record armed track confuses as it jutts out like the folder track
2. Lack of a default volume fader instead of the blobby knob
3.i always seem to forget where the record input button is.
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #57
toadhjo

I agree about the contrast issue, especially in the midi editor. The lines and background need more differentiation. I can barely see the lines with my default monitor settings.
toadhjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:04 PM   #58
nait

OK, so I just got v6.0 installed, and with it the new theme. Right out of the box, it nearly incinerated my eyeballs with it adjusting my much more tame color coding decisions of tracks (i.e. autocolor) to very bright basic colors (almost like an old 16 color RGB palette). Luckily, after several clicks in the Theme Adjuster, that was fixed and looking nicer.

Next, my eyes noticed that my envelopes were weird colors. And, I'm still not sure why some are one color, some are another color, some are another color. They are also colors that are very hard to see, and I've got great vision. It doesn't seem we have control over that via the Theme Adjuster though..?

Things I like:
- Mute/Solo right justified, along with values of the envelopes I'm automating.
- Being able to just use the color palette screen in Theme Adjustor to randomize colors until I land on something that looks good to me.

Things I don't like:
- the other buttons are no longer right justified, and therefore don't line up with each other (nitpicking, but it's not as nice). Oh, there's a theme adjuster option for this... done.
- The transport stuff that pushed to the far right.. I get why people don't like that. I'll adjust though, I'm sure.
- Envelope colors bleed too much into the background.
- FX buttons' font on tracks looks odd.. squished a bit.

Neutral:
- button size (read: real estate).. I think I'm warming up to this.
- Transport buttons, in particular.. they're OK.
- The route button: I'm OK with it and will get used to the color meanings, but it's kind of boring looking, for lack of a better description.

What I'd like to see:
- Track numbering left justified (I know that complicates indenting, but you can indent after the track numbering).
- Would like it to default to showing the routing/panning on tracks when Track manager is showing, but not a big deal.
- A way to adjust envelope colors, assuming that doesn't already exist.
- Being able to adjust the background color from that dark, dark grey to whatever you want (light grey!) would go miles too. I mean, the background for MIDI editor, and the right side of the main view where you put your MIDI/media items.. whatever that's called.

Having gone in Theme Adjuster and made a couple changes, I like the new theme now.. the problems I have with it are fairly minor nitpicks, I think, outside of the envelope colors which are still hideous.

I've attached a picture of my current Reaper theme, to show what I mean by /w the envelope colors.

EDIT: OK, after I did my theme adjustments, I thought it would save it for all my projects, and was disappointed to find out that no.. it doesn't (at least, not how I thought it would.. read on). I was hoping it would be saving the auto-coloring, but it doesn't actually do that. It only saves for the current projects. So then, I tried to take my template I use for new songs, and run it through the Theme Adjuster.. then save that... well, that's all fine and dandy, but if I add a new track with a name referenced in Auto Color (ex. I have "bus" set to a certain color) it doesn't use the new colors I picked in the Theme Adjuster like I hoped. So, I guess I have to do my Auto Color adjustments manually (again), and I'm not really sure what the color palette does right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myreaper.jpg (53.0 KB, 360 views)
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 12-04-2019 at 10:28 PM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:15 PM   #59
myfreedom

I don't like dark themes such as new default v6. The grid is barely visible in arrange area and MIDI editor. Track and item colors are extremly bright and colored track names are unreadable. One thing I like is the new mixer design. I'm back on Default v5 theme, this new one v6 looks like a cool skin for a progam from 2000s

myfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #60
pandabot

Yeah I wish more reaper themes didn't try to make components look like physical objects with all these photorealistic knobs and 3d shadowed sliders, ableton UI is a success because everything is flat and clean.

I don't like many Reaper themes but I do appreciate the focus on better theming capability for V6. That's Reaper's greatest weakness in my opinion, if I was forced to use the default theme I would have to find a different DAW despite its power
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #61
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
I assume it's different enough old 3.x themes won't fly anymore?
Heh, my fave 3 theme works and looks as usual. I don't ever feel I upgraded (I don't like themes with dark elements like every default one since v3).
Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 AM   #62
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfreedom View Post
I don't like dark themes such as new default v6. The grid is barely visible in arrange area and MIDI editor. Track and item colors are extremly bright and colored track names are unreadable. One thing I like is the new mixer design. I'm back on Default v5 theme,
Arrange view and MIDI editor colors can be edited in the original "theme tweaker" action. If you have colors you like in another theme already (such as Default 5) you can copy that info over easily. I describe how to do that here. I also posted a .ReaperTheme file with edited colors that I use (it uses your existing Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip as a base) here.

Tracks/items are only as bright as you color them. Choose colors which are less bright/saturated. (Remember you can save color pallettes.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:17 AM   #63
rst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
TL;DR:

- A default theme with useability problems that have been repeatedly brought up only to be told "no, you're wrong, it's fine" with no room for discussion.
Agree. Development of theme was done wrong way. Why ask opinion on forum if no reaction to criticism is planned? Also development discussions on forums rarely are productive. Too much information, everybody gets tired and unsatisfied.

And what result it gave? Quite good theme for winamp around early 2000s.
Yes, it works, it can be used, but there is no need to be expert in design to see this is below today's standards.

Right way would be working in small team of professionals, where colleagues discuss without crowd noise, distribute work and neutralize each other biases. Then release well prepared product like serious teams do.
rst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:27 AM   #64
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabot View Post
Yeah I wish more reaper themes didn't try to make components look like physical objects with all these photorealistic knobs and 3d shadowed sliders, ableton UI is a success because everything is flat and clean.

I don't like many Reaper themes but I do appreciate the focus on better theming capability for V6. That's Reaper's greatest weakness in my opinion, if I was forced to use the default theme I would have to find a different DAW despite its power
I really dislike the flat look of Ableton and would prefer more of the elements you dislike here. That said it should all be clear and easy to read in all size modes.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:37 AM   #65
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I was going to say the same thing. I really think the differences in opinion we are seeing comes down to differences in GUI setup options relative to users screen sizes and viewing distances, coupled to screen quality and calibration.

The Imperial theme looked like a skeuomorphic triumph that would suit a small number of users (perhaps with a couple of extremely large monitors?), but for most small screen users a step in the wrong direction in terms of practicality.

This Reaper 6 really seems surprisingly controversial, something of a marmite theme. Hopefully it can be further tweaked to address the growing number of unhappy users concerns.
My screen is big enough for Imperial, and I did use it for a while. The reason I stopped using it was that I could see more with the default, as well as unnecessarily complicated bits like the I/O section. It all comes down to real estate and how easy it is to scan quickly.

I have no preference between skeuomorphic hardware looks and flat digital looks, as long as it is easy to use. Stick as many scratches and rusty screws in there as you like, as long as controls are easy to use and clear to see.

I really have tried hard to use sexy looking themes over the years, but at the end of the day it's about what I'm hearing, not what I'm looking at, and a tweaked default has always given me the easiest time in usability.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:42 AM   #66
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
And I completely disagree here. You can’t compare a car with a UI. A UI is something I’ll be looking at the whole day. It needs to be easy on the eyes and make elements distinguishable. Most of the “ugliness” here comes from mixing together a lot of different styles. There’s no visual coherence. And that’s exactly the problem.
I'm not defending the default in the looks department, but aside from a couple of niggles I think it is very easy to do work on.

All of the above could be levelled at Pro Tools, which I think is a fugly mess, and you can't even get a different theme for that! But, it is the functionality that ultimately sells it.

All of the big complaints were also levelled at default V5. The good thing about REAPER is that it is so customisable and the community is active in doing that, so it shouldn't be too hard for people to get together and produce a theme that is to their liking for V6.

Last edited by Judders; 12-05-2019 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:42 AM   #67
reapero

Why does my Default Nickpivky edition 5.0 look bad in Reaper 6? Everything is blurry and the track labels dont connect correctlyto the volume knobs anymore.

Is this expected? Can it be fixed?
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:09 AM   #68
EvilDragon

It's because you have HiDPI enabled but Default Nitpicky theme is not HiDPI compatible.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:42 AM   #69
reapero

YAY! Thanks Evil Dragon!

I like to have supercollapsed tracks inside folder completely hidden (height=0 in rtconfg). One thing i am missing from the Nitpick Edition is the little, tab-ish, missing corner in folder tracks:

Is this something that can be executed in Walter somehow?
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:46 AM   #70
SBK

The theme settings do not save each time I close and reopen Reaper they are gone. Any tips? ( like the "hide" options in TCP)
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:12 AM   #71
Dream Of Sleeping

I hate the fact that the panning conrols disapear when the mixer is open. I tend to use the mixer just to look at the levels but tweak the panning in the track control.

Luckily I saw the Kenny video explaining how to turn this feature off, but even then I had to faff about with the sizes to make sure so the were small enough that it made sense.

So I can have it how I want, but it's another default setting that isn't user friendly. I probably would have never thought there would be a setting to turn this off If I hadn't seen that video.

I suggest making the hiding of controls not the default.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:18 AM   #72
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
My screen is big enough for Imperial, and I did use it for a while. The reason I stopped using it was that I could see more with the default, as well as unnecessarily complicated bits like the I/O section. It all comes down to real estate and how easy it is to scan quickly.

I have no preference between skeuomorphic hardware looks and flat digital looks, as long as it is easy to use. Stick as many scratches and rusty screws in there as you like, as long as controls are easy to use and clear to see.

I really have tried hard to use sexy looking themes over the years, but at the end of the day it's about what I'm hearing, not what I'm looking at, and a tweaked default has always given me the easiest time in usability.
I'm not keen on what we could call hardcore skeuomorphic styling, especially if it gets in the way of functionality, worst case examples almost acting like camouflage!
The freebie Gem EQ550 was a particularly bad example of OTT skeuomorphic design detracting from functionality - all those silly scratches drawn into the faux metal!

I like the elements of a theme to give a subtle impression of 3d depth while being easy to read on quick glance. the Imperial theme definitely was not that, even with the mixer on the separate screen; here I currently have 2 small 21:9 monitors so the Imperial theme fit ok in terms of resolution but it just had elements that were not big enough for finding items on the screen with a quick glance, and it was too busy. No one should have to rely on the tooltips all the time or to lean in to read detail on the screen. It was all very sharp (still have fine vision here) just not practical.

I have a feeling something like that Imperial theme could be great on a 50" 4K TV or maybe something like a 37" monitor.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:39 AM   #73
SBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
I hate the fact that the panning conrols disapear when the mixer is open. I tend to use the mixer just to look at the levels but tweak the panning in the track control.

Luckily I saw the Kenny video explaining how to turn this feature off, but even then I had to faff about with the sizes to make sure so the were small enough that it made sense.

So I can have it how I want, but it's another default setting that isn't user friendly. I probably would have never thought there would be a setting to turn this off If I hadn't seen that video.

I suggest making the hiding of controls not the default.

I also removed the "hide" features, but when I close and reopen Reaper that settings is gone! and I have to do it manually again
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:35 AM   #74
vsgrt

I honestly think this is one of the most incompetent design jobs i've seen in recent times. It is rushed with tons of obvious flaws and usability issues which i assume, according to tradition, will never be fixed. I considered writing a short essay about all the things it does wrong from a usability perspective, but since the designer never seem to listen to design feedback (which i assume is what enabled him to create something so mediocre and flawed) - whats the point.. I quite like the MCP though, so thats something.

In a sense, the v6 theme was a mirror and a sad wakeup call to the long-standing issues with Reaper in general. I sadly share Lokasennas sentiment and i'm currently in the process of figuring out how i should deal with it (if at all).

Hate being this harsh after a big release, tons of good work have been done otherwise, HiDPI is deeply appreciated and so on. Just my personal feelings and observations.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:39 AM   #75
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I have a feeling something like that Imperial theme could be great on a 50" 4K TV or maybe something like a 37" monitor.
It would still be too busy. Just big and busy!
Old 12-05-2019, 06:03 AM   #76
Spartacus

There is a big issue with plug window view, some plug just can't be entirely shown...they are cut and it's impossible to expand window, so some knobs on the plugs can't be reached...
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #77
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsgrt View Post
In a sense, the v6 theme was a mirror and a sad wakeup call to the long-standing issues with Reaper in general. I sadly share Lokasennas sentiment and i'm currently in the process of figuring out how i should deal with it (if at all).
What an earth are you trying to do with REAPER that a change of theme can have such dramatic effects? lol

I'm sure some people get so drawn into the technical/visual aspects and become hellbent on creating the 'perfect' workflow when it's really the music they should be concentrating on. 50 user buttons with custom actions does not equal great music, for example.

If you can't 'deal with' recording, producing or mixing great music with REAPER then you need to look at yourself more critically. I don't mean that as a jibe towards you - but just generally to people who have such adverse reactions to updates like this surely can't be finding such trivial things an obstacle in their creativity? The Beatles and all at Abbey Road should be elevated to beyond god status if so. Even modern day, Ed Sheeran is making millions with a guitar and loop pedal.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:34 AM   #78
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
What an earth are you trying to do with REAPER that a change of theme can have such dramatic effects? lol
Working professionally on a deadline with many concurrent projects, no time to "re-learn" or "re-adapt" to a comically broken looking new theme on the eyes, and dealing with bad contrast issues with a theme that slows down your workflow by about 80%, conservatively? Toolbar buttons, color issues, stretch out transport, it is just all over the place. Believe it or not, some of us use Reaper for work not play

That's a start.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #79
Judders

Quote:
Working professionally on a deadline with many concurrent projects, no time to "re-learn" or "re-adapt" to a comically broken looking new theme on the eyes, and dealing with bad contrast issues with a theme that slows down your workflow by about 80%, conservatively? Toolbar buttons, color issues, stretch out transport, it is just all over the place. Believe it or not, some of us use Reaper for work not play

That's a start.
It's taking you nearly twice as long to complete projects now, because of the new default theme?

You can still use old themes, or V5 REAPER, you know! Using a .0 software release isn't worth starving over.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #80
vsgrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
I don't think you are parsing my post correctly - the theme is the mirror, what is being reflected is not the mirror. And please read what sentiment i actually agreed with - i'm not having a creative breakdown over here. For the record i don't use toolbars or buttons. And the rest of your post is such a ridiculous non sequitur that i'm not going to bother with it.

It is quite funny being told that choices about tools will always be meaningless because of The Beatles and Creativity however.

From now on, any discussion in DAW forums should be shot down immediately by reminding people that great music was being made in the fifties and that technical minutiae is for pesky pedantics that can't express themselves creatively.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote