Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-18-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
randall7
Human being with feelings

Default Spitfire Audio libraries working great in Reaper for Linux!

I am loving Reaper for Linux, please Cockos keep improving the Linux version along with the Windows version.

I have Spitfire Audio libraries working wonderfully in Reaper for Linx, with no observable latency. I am using JACK, Qjackctl, and Carla in Linux. These libraries are working great for me in Linux: BBC Symphonic Orchestra, all the Spitfire LABS, all the Spitfire Originals. This gives me a great set of sampled instruments for orchestral composing in Linux using Reaper for Linux.

I have had mixed results with Native Instruments, Kontakt, so for now I have scrubbed trying to use NI libraries; I could get them to load and work in Reaper for Linux, but they were not 'persistent' between closing Reaper and opening up a Reaper project. Spitfire Audio libs were persistent in Linux so I am loving them.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
Glennbo

I have Kontakt working both in REAPER for Linux using LinVST and also functioning in stand alone Carla, but I don't know if it remembers anything since I fire it up and load a plugin only for jamming around.

In REAPER for Linux, I don't use Carla because it's just not as clean as using LinVST which makes your Windows plugins behave as if they were native Linux plugins. You just select them the same way as you would in Windows and you never see or mess with LinVST after setting it up once.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall7 View Post
I am loving Reaper for Linux, please Cockos keep improving the Linux version along with the Windows version.

I have Spitfire Audio libraries working wonderfully in Reaper for Linx, with no observable latency. I am using JACK, Qjackctl, and Carla in Linux. These libraries are working great for me in Linux: BBC Symphonic Orchestra, all the Spitfire LABS, all the Spitfire Originals. This gives me a great set of sampled instruments for orchestral composing in Linux using Reaper for Linux.

I have had mixed results with Native Instruments, Kontakt, so for now I have scrubbed trying to use NI libraries; I could get them to load and work in Reaper for Linux, but they were not 'persistent' between closing Reaper and opening up a Reaper project. Spitfire Audio libs were persistent in Linux so I am loving them.
You didn't have any problem loading then in Reaper? I tried for the last month to make Spitfire work, but no luck so far. In previous version of Spitfire app I had no problem. Now I only get "No preset found" or something like that. I used LinVST all the my tests. I followed every thread I could find about the error message, but no luck solving it. But I never had any problems with Kontakt's Free Player. Every free instruments works flawless.

Now it's only native plugins along with Ubuntu Studio 20.04
Old 12-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
You didn't have any problem loading then in Reaper? I tried for the last month to make Spitfire work, but no luck so far. In previous version of Spitfire app I had no problem. Now I only get "No preset found" or something like that. I used LinVST all the my tests. I followed every thread I could find about the error message, but no luck solving it. But I never had any problems with Kontakt's Free Player. Every free instruments works flawless.

Now it's only native plugins along with Ubuntu Studio 20.04
I would not say I did not have any problems, but I got Spitfire working. I use Carla, not LinVST, not sure if that makes a difference. I made sure to use Synaptic to install lots of Carla and wine packages (search synaptic for all things carla and wine and vst).

I just took screenshots of what I have installed using Synaptic regarding Carla, wine, and vst. See attached, might be helpful, or not. I also included a screenshot to show where the dll plugin files are located in wine and that I load into Carla rack as my Reaper track FX.

To make it easy, I copied my Spitfire LABS, Originals, and BBCSO from my drive where they were for use in Windows 10 to ~/.wine/drive_c/users/myusername/Spitfire
I created the Spitfire folder before the above of course.

I did have to do some 'repairs' using the Spitfire library manager app.

And what goofed me up at first was trying to load (in Carla Rack of Carla VSTi) a vst or vst3 that was in ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files. I learned that loading whatever.vst3 does NOT work; you have to search in the Program Files folders and find the whatever.dll to load into Carla, for example LABS.dll not LABS.vst

But Spitfire works great with reaper. Make sure you install (I used synaptic) anything bridge related, like wine vst bridge, carla bridge, etc., I think those might have helped.
Attached Images
File Type: png carla packages installed.png (23.8 KB, 283 views)
File Type: png wine packages installed.png (61.9 KB, 273 views)
File Type: png vst synpatic packages.png (23.4 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg Spitfire dll plugins in wine.jpg (46.8 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by randall7; 12-19-2020 at 09:23 AM. Reason: adding attached images
randall7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
Tobbe

Thank you. I give it a try.