Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #41
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Networking and resource sharing in a small Windows environment isn't that difficult these days.
Yeah, they been telling me that for like 25 years.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #42
Geoff-h3o

+1 for static ip addresses. "Map network drives" seems to work for me when others ways fail.
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #43
panicaftermath

I found that HomeGroup worked pretty well and consistently when networking Windows 8.1 and 7, and was more convenient than the regular network sharing steps that preceded it. But they removed it from 10. Haven't really explored what if anything they've replaced it with.

Folders previously shared with HomeGroup still show up as shared, but there are many instances where device A and see device B but not the other way around.

Sneakernet or even google drive can be a surer bet for many purposes.
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:22 AM   #44
lucas_LCS

I used to use a dedicated network storage drive bay.
I gave it a static IP and used a .BAT file to run when I wanted to connect to it.
worked great for sharng files between machines.
Didn't need to setup a network group in windows IIRC.
I could use it with any O/S.

::
Old 12-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #45
Beemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Or even better (I mean more reliable) is to use IP address instead of name, like e.g. \\192.168.10.11
This works. Alternatively map the drive and folder.
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #46
Beemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
Yes you can use the IP address, but that means you need to know the IP's or look it up, also it could change IP from the DHCP.

I use a Router that has DHCP, but I have a Fix addresses on all of my PC's (10 PC's). This is how I set things up, for example:

Workgroup is= EMI (Electric and Musical Industries)

PC names:
Reaper (My DAW)

the rest of the PC's is an artist:

Police (My Server)
Beatles (Windows 7 PC)
Cars (My laptop)
ZZ top (My Internet PC)

on and on.....

So far it has worked very well for me!

Robert
I like that!
Old 12-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #47
Beemer

Quote:
To make it easy I set all my PC's to the same username and Password.
If a PC ask for your password enter it and be sure to select remember password.
If you do that you will never be prompted for it again.

Robert
Latest Windows updates makes same user name and password not so reliable
Old 12-26-2020, 06:12 PM   #48
rncwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
Latest Windows updates makes same user name and password not so reliable
So far I've had no problems.

All my PC are windows Pro and offline accounts.

I do not use or like MS sign in account where it will sync your information to all of your devices.
That in its self may cause the problem you've stated!

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #49
Katsu999

I have recently installed W10 on a studio PC, and it was a huge battle to get sharing working. Then I also updated a W7 laptop by installing a fresh W10, and had more battles - but not the same ones as the Studio PC!?!?

MS should have made this a LOT easier than it is, instead of creating that 'Homegroup' POS that ran alongside 'normal' sharing, and now it seems they've removed the catastrophe of Homegroup, but then messed up Sharing at the same time (or didn't make sure it was working out of the box before releasing the OS). Great work MS!

In fact I had to mess around with so many things I can't even remember what I did or what eventually worked... A combo of editing Permissions and installing a variety of .NET and Visual Studio components seemed to eventually get things working, but a modern OS really shouldn't do this.

As for the trick of using the same Name and Password on different PC's - this by itself should not work, as each Username/pw has a RANDOM UNIQUE code attached to it generated by the OS when you make a new User - so creating a new User with the same Name/pw on another PC will NOT generate the same code - and that code is a bit like an IP/MAC/URL address, it is what the OS is really looking at to verify, not the friendly Username/pw you see on-screen.

So apart from setting each PC to the same WORKGROUP name, good luck with getting Sharing to work on a modern Windows OS - it was a lot easier 20 years ago!

Quick MS gripes :-
i) why does a domestic (home) OS say 'See your Network Administrator'?

ii) why does my Admin Account keep asking for Admin Permission to do basic things like delete, move, etc. - and turning off UAC does NOT solve this?
Katsu999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #50
rncwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsu999 View Post
As for the trick of using the same Name and Password on different PC's - this by itself should not work, as each Username/pw has a RANDOM UNIQUE code attached to it generated by the OS when you make a new User - so creating a new User with the same Name/pw on another PC will NOT generate the same code - and that code is a bit like an IP/MAC/URL address, it is what the OS is really looking at to verify, not the friendly Username/pw you see on-screen.

ii) why does my Admin Account keep asking for Admin Permission to do basic things like delete, move, etc. - and turning off UAC does NOT solve this?

I've never had a problem with doing this for the last 19 years.
In fact, it's gotten easier to do, MS (Which I don't like) likes to move things around which makes you hunt for what you want to do.
It's really easier to to than it was years ago. Just remember that some names have changed and things moved around.

When you share a drive or folder (I prefer to share the Drive), you need to do it on the advance settings and assign both read and write.

Your OS needs to be the Pro version, maybe the home (Don't use home, as I find it limiting) is giving the problems.
I've never had any problems with the same user name and password.

Robert

Last edited by rncwalker; 01-10-2021 at 09:56 AM.
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsu999 View Post
as each Username/pw has a RANDOM UNIQUE code attached to it generated by the OS when you make a new User
It's called a SID.

Quote:
I've never had any problems with the same user name and password.

Robert
The account is typically machinename\username but NTLM (if memory serves) will just substitute the target machine name during auth (which will be the correct SID if the username exists) to see if it works. So short story, I agree.

I agree concerning Home edition as well, never complain about doing anything regarding networking, remoting etc. on Home, there are some watered down features to make some things work but it's called home as in single machine for limited use for a reason. If one is recording and producing music, it's probably more important than settling for those limitations, save up for Pro.