Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #1
Reaperseemscoolbut
Human being with feelings

Default Opinion on recording with Scarlett Focusrite 2i2?

Hi, I want to record my guitar in Reaper, do you think that the Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 3rd Generation would be a good choice for an audio interface? I just want an audio interface that is easy to handle and has a good sound quality. Thanks for your help!
Reaperseemscoolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:38 PM   #2
b2001

I got one about 6 months ago for a windows 10 notebook. I mic acoustic guitar and DI electric guitar; sometimes mic singing. It works for me. I think its a good choice but do not have much experience to compare it to others. The only negative for me is there is not a mix knob for source being recorded and playback of other audio from Reaper when using headphones.

That feature is available on larger scarletts. I did not realize this when I bought it; however I work around it. I wanted an interface with two inputs and the 2i2 is small for when I travel.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:13 AM   #3
Reaperseemscoolbut

The only negative for me is there is not a mix knob for source being recorded and playback of other audio from Reaper when using headphones.

Thanks for the answer! So you can only record/hear your guitar and if you want to hear all tracks, you always have to disconnect the interface? And it does work with virtual amp effects right? sorry am new to the topic
Reaperseemscoolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #4
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperseemscoolbut View Post
Thanks for the answer! So you can only record/hear your guitar and if you want to hear all tracks, you always have to disconnect the interface? And it does work with virtual amp effects right? sorry am new to the topic
You'll hear tracks and the input, just with less control over volume. But this comment was only for direct hardware monitoring, you won't use this feature when using amp sim plugins, where you monitor via software.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
midnightvelvet

I've had a Scarlett solo and now a 4i4. I get great direct in sounds with it, but I also have good gear. Direct in sounds tend to sound lifeless direct though, so you should use a boost or something tone shaping. I use an EQD Tone Job and it's night and day difference.

But specifically for recording, it's fine. I've not found a reason to spend more. Plus I don't have Thunderbolt, so a simple USB interface is all I need.
midnightvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:51 AM   #6
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightvelvet View Post
Direct in sounds tend to sound lifeless direct though, so you should use a boost or something tone shaping. I use an EQD Tone Job and it's night and day difference.
OP, just get your interface and run away before they talk you into buying a eurorack synth or something
Old 01-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #7
midnightvelvet

I mean, OP can be the judge, but going straight into a Focusrite, or using something boosting and tone shaping in front of it, it's not even a comparison.
midnightvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:29 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Is someone saying that putting an EQ in front of something makes it sound like you put an EQ in front of something?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:43 PM   #9
maxdembo

All music should be produced and mixed before actually recording it ;P
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote