Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 07-27-2022, 06:50 AM   #1
souk21
Human being with feelings

Default Key Sequences - Create shortcuts with multiple keys (v2)

A gif will tell more than words so here goes:

Features:
  • Each action is launched with a key (with optional modifiers)
  • Sequences are nestable so you can have multiple layers (e.g [T]rack [V]olume [U]p)
  • Works in all sections, except the inline midi editor which can not be accessed via script AFAIK
  • Choose after how long hints should appear on a per-sequence basis
  • Choose whether or not the sequence stays open after an action

As always I'm amazed at both Reaper's API and what the community has built around it.
This is my first project using ReaImGui, and this extension is really a game changer !
You can focus on functionality and not spend too much time on interactivity, and with it being a wrapper of a popular library, you can find plenty of help online.
TBF, I knew it was going to be good before diving in, because everything cfillion releases is top notch (ReaPack please!)
As always, JS_API and SWS were also invaluable for this project.

Tested on Windows and Mac (let me know about Linux !)
Let me know if you find bugs or missing features

This project ended up being way more complex and time consuming than I anticipated, so if you find it useful and if you can, please buy me a coffee (or a beer ? )
My paypal link

Requires SWS, JS_API and ReaImGui

On ReaPack:
Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Souk21/REAPER-scripts-and-effects/master/index.xml

Last edited by souk21; 08-12-2023 at 06:49 AM.
souk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:23 AM   #2
reapero

Jesuschrist...that hint box is a really clever idea! Thank you!
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #3
tonalstates

Woooow! I've been waiting for something like this since I knew about REAPERs community coders and stuff like contextual toolbars. Damn son, you just added a whole new awesome layer to REAPER. Thank you.
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:47 PM   #4
toothpick

This is amazing. Feels similar to juliansader's js_hotstrings but way more user friendly. Will definitely use this.

Suggestions -
confirmation box for sequence removing so you can't delete a bunch of stuff by accident,
being able to vertically reorder sequences and the hotkeys for keeping things tidy.
toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:40 AM   #5
o_e

I get the following error warning (Macbook Pro 2019, Mac OS 10.14.6):

o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:47 AM   #6
BenjyO

Nice! This is really cool. Thank you for sharing it.

One question: How does one create the nested sequences you mentioned? I haven't figured it out yet.

Edit: Got another question: What is the meaning of "chord"? Key combinations that arent single keys - like Shift+R or Cmd+C etc.? If that's so, I suggest renaming that to something else, because "chord" implies chords played on an instrument - that's why I thought the script detected MIDI input so I tried it but it didn't work. You could rename it to "modifier(s) + key" - I think that would make it more clear.

Edit 2: Okay. I figured out how to nest sequences: When you create a new sequence and name it, a new action/script is created in the action list and it's named "Script: souk21_sequences_[sequence name here].lua" You can then choose that script as an action in another sequence. Man, this is really useful stuff! Thank you again.

Edit 3: The script doesn't display unicode characters (č, š, đ for example - guess where I'm from ) in the GUI nor in the hints. It detects them so everything works but they're not displayed. Do you think that could be implemented?

Last edited by BenjyO; 07-28-2022 at 01:11 AM.
BenjyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:57 AM   #7
souk21

Version 1.2 is up on ReaPack:
- Add confirmation to remove sequence
- Change 'Key / chord' to 'Shortcut' to avoid confusion
- Add a way to change font / use default font

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothpick
Feels similar to juliansader's js_hotstrings
Oh, I didn't know about this script. It looks quite similar indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
I get the following error warning (Macbook Pro 2019, Mac OS 10.14.6)
That's weird. Even if I try to load a non existing font, I get a different error message. Maybe your Verdana is corrupted ?
Meanwhile, you can edit the 10th line of the script like so:
Code:
local font_name = "MyFontName" -- use a specific font
-- OR
local font_name = nil -- use ImGui default font
Let me know if that fixes the error

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjyO View Post
I figured out how to nest sequences: When you create a new sequence and name it, a new action/script is created in the action list and it's named "Script: souk21_sequences_[sequence name here].lua" You can then choose that script as an action in another sequence.
Yep sorry, I should definitely have mentioned this in OP

Quote:
Edit 3: The script doesn't display unicode characters (č, š, đ for example - guess where I'm from ) in the GUI nor in the hints.
Unfortunately I'm not sure how to do this yet. I'm looking into it, if anyone has knowledge about how to interpret unicode from gfx.getchar

Quote:
because "chord" implies chords played on an instrument - that's why I thought the script detected MIDI input so I tried it but it didn't work
That would be a fun script haha Press Am7b9 to select all items on track
Sorry for the confusion, I changed the button text

Let me know !
Old 07-28-2022, 05:22 AM   #8
BenjyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by souk21 View Post
Unfortunately I'm not sure how to do this yet. I'm looking into it, if anyone has knowledge about how to interpret unicode from gfx.getchar
Thanks for looking into it. I'll let you know if I learn aynthing about it myself.

Quote:
That would be a fun script haha Press Am7b9 to select all items on track
Sorry for the confusion, I changed the button text
That would be fun albeit unnecessary Thank you for changing the button text, the prompt-window still has it though:
Old 07-28-2022, 05:35 AM   #9
BenjyO

After a quick search, I found some additional notes for gfx.getchar() from Mespotine in her Reascript docs:

Quote:
Typed characters between 256 and 1024(maybe higher?) seem to hint at multibyte-unicode characters.
That means, you need to take the next character-value in the character-queue into consideration as well to get the current unicode-character!
I haven't dabbled in the gfx part of Reascript yet so I'm unfamiliar with how this works. I'll see if I find some time later to learn and test.

Edit:
Found a script by Cfillion (available in his ReaPack repository) that inspects GFX input. This is the name: cfillion_GFX Input Inspector.lua
Maybe that script's code could help you out somehow. At least I hope so.

Edit2:
Further findings: I tried out Cfillion's script myself and tested the characters which I'd like to use in your script. His script returns Hex codes which I wrote down. Then I tested out these same characters on Rapidtables.com's "Text to Hex Code Converter". I had to change the "character encoding" option to "Windows-1250 (Eastern European)" to get the same Hex codes as Cfillion's script. If I understand my findings correctly, it means that my computer keyboard doesn't utilize Unicode but rather the mentioned windows-1250...-encoding. I'm not sure if and how that information is useful though

Last edited by BenjyO; 07-28-2022 at 06:17 AM.
BenjyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:30 AM   #10
o_e

Quote:

That's weird. Even if I try to load a non existing font, I get a different error message. Maybe your Verdana is corrupted ?
Meanwhile, you can edit the 10th line of the script like so:
Code:
local font_name = "MyFontName" -- use a specific font
-- OR
local font_name = nil -- use ImGui default font
Let me know if that fixes the error

That did the trick, thank you!
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:04 AM   #11
X-Raym

Hi,

Thx for sharing this !

You should IMHO prefix your script name with your forum cockos user name, people like to know who made the script for several reasons (support, contact, donation, different versions etc :P)

Main difference with juliansader hotstring is that this one doesnt create action in action list. All registered sequence are meant to worked by running the action, so no two similar sequence can be present.

Yours created actions have souk21 as prefix. On this subject I think this gives the feeling that these actions are hosted on your repo. I think another prefix has to be found for these.
Also, maybe they should be as minimal as possible, just a table a dofile, so that if you update the system it will update these as well.

EDIT: oh the prefix is souk21_sequences, my bad!
EDIT2: we can still host our our custom sequence into one global sequene if we want to replicate Julian Sader script behavior.

Report: if the action is run when the mouse is to close to the bottom, the popup can be truncated offscreen.

Last edited by X-Raym; 07-28-2022 at 10:36 AM.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:10 AM   #12
Arthur McArthur

Holy sh*t this script is incredible! Great work, Souk, I've wanted something like this for a long time.

I have a few feature requests I'm wondering if you'll consider:

A per-action option to leave the sequence open after running. This would be useful for actions you need to run a bunch of times in a row, so you don't have to trigger the sequence every time. For example: nudging the volume of a track by .1 db.

The ability to re-order the keys and actions and/or alphabetically sort them.

An option to rename the hint that gets displayed for the actions. For example, to remove the prefix from a script.

Thanks for an incredible contribution!
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:19 PM   #13
MeWest

A very cool script! It was ideal to be able to have a contest sequence)
MeWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:20 AM   #14
ovnis

Amazing stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothpick View Post

Suggestions -
confirmation box for sequence removing so you can't delete a bunch of stuff by accident,
being able to vertically reorder sequences and the hotkeys for keeping things tidy.
It's waste of time to add clicks for nothing. If you have made a mistake: CTRL+z.

Last edited by ovnis; 07-29-2022 at 04:28 AM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:07 AM   #15
souk21

Version 1.3 is up
- Reorder actions
- Edit action display name
- Option to keep sequence open after action
- Button to remove sequence shortcut
- Fix some special characters issues, add others
- Press Enter to validate new sequence / action edit
- Change 'Key / chord' to 'Key(s)' in popup to avoid confusion
- Add "souk21" prefix to main script

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis
It's waste of time to add clicks for nothing. If you have made a mistake: CTRL+z.
I would tend to agree, but it's harder for me to implement a proper undo system unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeWest
It was ideal to be able to have a contest sequence
I'm sorry I don't understand. What do you mean ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym
You should IMHO prefix your script name with your forum cockos user name
For some reason I was under the impression ReaPack added the author prefix. My bad, fixed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym
Report: if the action is run when the mouse is to close to the bottom, the popup can be truncated offscreen.
I need to do some testing on Windows and I'll release a fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjyO
Thanks for looking into it. I'll let you know if I learn aynthing about it myself.
Thanks for your research ! I've looked into it, and came up with something that works for most characters but not all.
For example I can't get it to work for '^', gfx.getchar returns a code which correspond to 'И'
Let me know
Old 07-30-2022, 07:18 AM   #16
MeWest

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't understand. What do you mean ?
contextual sequences
MeWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:27 AM   #17
Arthur McArthur

Great stuff! Working like a dream over here. Please add your donation link to your signature!
Old 07-30-2022, 12:24 PM   #18
souk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
Great stuff! Working like a dream over here. Please add your donation link to your signature!
Thanks! I added my paypal link to the original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeWest
contextual sequences
Hey, that's an interesting idea! Unfortunately I think it would require a large amount of additional work, so I'm afraid it's outside the scope of this script. At least for now. Maybe some day ?
Old 07-30-2022, 01:08 PM   #19
BenjyO

Quote:
Thanks for your research ! I've looked into it, and came up with something that works for most characters but not all.
For example I can't get it to work for '^', gfx.getchar returns a code which correspond to 'И'
Let me know
Tried out version 1.3 just now but instead of question marks for all of these characters it now shows some other weird characters so it looks like my characters are in that exception group Thank you for your effort though. I appreciate that.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #20
theFRXST

Tried it here, works as expected on Win 10
Old 07-30-2022, 09:35 PM   #21
Arthur McArthur

I just ran into a bug where adding some new ReaPack scripts shuffled around the command IDs of some of the scripts I had mapped in Key Sequences, forcing me to re-map them about a third of them. I'm wondering if there's another way to identify them other than the command ID which does not seem stable. Perhaps it is possible to use the name of the script?
Old 07-30-2022, 09:35 PM   #22
pcp

Brilliant script! I'm using it to insert effects, so creating shortcuts of my favourites from the FX browser then assigning E to 'EQ and filters' on the Key Sequences menu, then E again for my 'workhorse' - and nearby keys to lesser-used EQs and filters. Same for e.g. C for compressors/dynamics plugins. Very slick and the popup is genius.
I did have to tweak the script to get the interactive hints popup to appear larger on a 4k monitor as it was too small for me (changed line 613 to 'gfx.setfont(1, font_name, 35)' instead of the default size 15) , would be great if that setting was exposed in a future version, and if it took the font name from the top of the script too.
pcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:42 AM   #23
souk21

Quote:
ow but instead of question marks for all of these characters it now shows some other weird characters
Damn. I'm going to keep thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
I just ran into a bug where adding some new ReaPack scripts shuffled around the command IDs of some of the scripts I had mapped in Key Sequences
Command ID changes only if the associated script is renamed / moved
As long as the script name doesn't change, scripts installed with ReaPack are supposed to have a stable command ID (cf this message from @cfillion in French)
What exactly happened? Did you just install some new scripts and other scripts ID were modified? Are you sure scripts were not moved around? Did you notice a pattern in what scripts had their ID changed?

edit: Did you get some error message, or just certains commands not working anymore?

(Note that this script had a prefix added with 1.3, so its command ID have changed, but it shouldn't have affected other scripts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcp View Post
I did have to tweak the script to get the interactive hints popup to appear larger on a 4k monitor as it was too small for me (changed line 613 to 'gfx.setfont(1, font_name, 35)' instead of the default size 15) , would be great if that setting was exposed in a future version, and if it took the font name from the top of the script too.
Yep, the hints definitely needs some improvements. Retina compatibility being one, as it's unbearably blurry on my screen
I was thinking there could also be a small visual indicator that a sequence has been launched / is still running before the hint shows.

If anyone has ideas for improvements regarding the hints
Old 07-31-2022, 04:37 AM   #24
bFooz

Here are some similar scripts

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186637

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186869

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=239827 (2nd post)
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:57 AM   #25
Arthur McArthur

Quote:
What exactly happened? Did you just install some new scripts and other scripts ID were modified? Are you sure scripts were not moved around? Did you notice a pattern in what scripts had their ID changed?

edit: Did you get some error message, or just certains commands not working anymore?
I had installed a few new scripts via the "Load Reascript" dialog and it changed a random assortment of the custom action/scripts that I had mapped to some of the new ones that had been added. There was no error message, just incorrect mappings. I'll see if I can reproduce.

Quote:

I made some changes to the auto-generate portion of the main script and got some functionality that works for me, as I was finding the mouse position opening to obfuscate the items I was working on:

https://imgur.com/OW4g3nS

-- font
gfx.setfont(1, "Segoe UI", 20)
-- window size
gfx.init("", 401, 1210, 0, 0, 151)
--background color
gfx.set(0.012, 0.05, 0.066)
-- font color
gfx.set(.471,.8566,.72)

Potential hint improvements could be:

- exposing these the font, window size, background color and font color as something the user can edit to match their needs that remains persistent between updates
- an option to create separators and titles (without the blank name mapping workaround) and/or the ability to hide the shortcut for a mapping
- alignment for the names of the mappings that is separate from the shortcuts. To create a little bit of space, I'm adding 3 or 4 spaces before the names, but depending on the width of the character of the shortcut, it's not possibly to perfectly align them
- would be cool to have the mapping flash a different (customizable) color when it's activated. e.g.: you press "a" and it flashes a different color for the "a" mapping

Last edited by Arthur McArthur; 07-31-2022 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:39 PM   #26
Suzuki

Finally my account got activated (Thanks mod!), so here's a bug report.

It looks like new scripts spawned by changing slot number in S&M.ini file also changed IDs in the Key Sequences.

S&M_ADD_TRTEMPLATE=30 (Yes, it's already shuffled. I did this test after the clutter.)

Changed the number to 100.

Back to 30 again.

edit: There was no error message.
Suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:07 PM   #27
nofish

@souk21

Not sure it helps (haven't looked at your code) but custom actions/scripts command id numbers can indeed change.
To get them reliably one should use NamedCommandLookup().

(What cfillion is referring to are the command id strings which are indeed deterministic.)

See schwa's post.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:50 PM   #28
souk21

@Suzuki Thanks for the report.
I connected the dots with @Arthur McArthur's report and I figured what's causing this issue.
Right now the script store the integer command id for all actions.
The problem is integer ids are only stable for native actions. For the other actions the script needs to use the string id.

I'm really sorry, it's definitely a mistake on my behalf.
I will push a fix asap, but in the meantime sequences containing non-native actions will be corrupted if any action is added or removed from the action list
I apologize for the time loss

edit: @nofish Thanks you got it right, I spent a while writing this post and I didn't see yours before

Last edited by souk21; 07-31-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:02 PM   #29
nofish

Coincidence lol.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:29 AM   #30
souk21

Version 1.4 is up:
- Fix sequences getting corrupted
- Internal changes

That should fix the corruption issue. This version should automatically convert your old sequences to the new format with stable ids.
I hope I didn't break anything else because I did this release in a rush to try to avoid everyone losing their sequences.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Let me know if that works

Next steps:
- Hints improvements. Thanks for the screenshot @Arthur McArthur, I didn't think of that use-case, I like it and I'll keep it in mind when designing the hints settings. Same for the header/separator idea.
- Fix issue with "keep open" and actions that take focus (i.e the hints close as soon as they lose focus) Maybe try to re-focus after sending the command to reaper? Fixed.

Last edited by souk21; 08-01-2022 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:45 AM   #31
souk21

Version 1.5 is up:
- Fix "keep open" for actions that take focus
Old 08-01-2022, 05:08 AM   #32
hans

Looks really good!

I'll try it out right away!
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:09 AM   #33
Suzuki

Thank you so much for the quick update! Luckily I didn't map many keys, so it's not hard to restore the previous mapping.

I changed the slot number and removed/added some scripts from ReaPack to do a quick test. Amazing! Mapped scripts do not get shuffled anymore, but nested sequences stopped working for some reason. Is it just me?

Also, it's probably nice-to-have features to make users to navigate through by arrow keys and rename sequences. I'm not sure how difficult they are to implement though.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:23 AM   #34
hans

something is wrong on my end here.

When i press a shortcut i'm getting a small black box in the upper left corner that then dissapears quickly. The sequence options doesn't come up by itself; i need to move around with the mouse before the sequence options appear.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:52 AM   #35
souk21

Version 1.6 is up
- Fix nested sequences

@Suzuki thanks for the report

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans
When i press a shortcut i'm getting a small black box in the upper left corner that then dissapears quickly.
Yep, that's a Windows only behavior for which I didn't find a workaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans
The sequence options doesn't come up by itself; i need to move around with the mouse before the sequence options appear.
What happens if you set "Show hints after" to 0 sec ?

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
Also, it's probably nice-to-have features to make users to navigate through by arrow keys and rename sequences. I'm not sure how difficult they are to implement though.
Do you mean navigating the sequence list on the left ? What key do you think would be a good one to rename a sequence?
Old 08-01-2022, 12:07 PM   #36
Suzuki

Nested sequences work! Thanks for the update.

Yes, the list on the left. I just thought it might be easier than clicking select and remove a couple of sequences each time for example. How about cmd+R for Rename, cmd+N for Add (New) and backspace for Remove (delete)? cmd+R may not be a common keystroke for renaming files, but Win (F2) and Mac (enter) has a different shortcut, and it's not necessarily a bad idea to use new one. As for the delete key, the confirmation box prevents an accidental delete, so it should not be a problem.

Again, thank you so much for taking my opinion into consideration

Edit: Or right click is more intuitive for renaming sequences?
Old 08-01-2022, 08:10 PM   #37
BryanChi

Thank you so much for making this! I meant to make this exact same script, because I switched to Mac recently and it doesn't allow executing context menu with keyboard; this is much more flexible though since you can use modifiers.
Just wondering if there's a chance it can be contextual? So different menus pop up depending on where the mouse is pointing?
BryanChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 01:58 AM   #38
hans

Yeah, setting it to 0 sec did work Thanks! I'm putting a lot of time into setting stuff up now. Love the freeing up of all shortcuts when i can sequence so much! Thanks a lot!
Btw. Changing action inside a sequence doesn't seem to work in Windows. It doesn't switch the action I want to change. Instead i have to remove the action and create a new one.

Last edited by hans; 08-02-2022 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:08 AM   #39
Suzuki

Another but probably nitpicky thing I notice, when I try to give the same name to sequences on different sections, it's just not possible. For example, if I want to name S on Main section, then Midi and Media Explorer section, S on Midi section is automatically postfixed with 2 like S2, and MX is S22. (It looks like you can't generate them on more than 3 sections since third one in this case S22 will be replaced by fourth one.) Is this because generated scripts share the same naming (souk21_sequence_xxx) and go to the same folder (Souk21_sequences) even if they belong to different sections? This is probably not a big deal though since users can name a sequence like S_Midi, S_Main, or something, but it might be great if you can change the directory structure (or script name).

Also, you cannot assign a shortcut on different sections into the same sequence, e.g. when you want to load screensets while opening Midi window. Workaround in this scenario is to load lua file directly and assign a key, although you can't mix different section's native action.

Please bear with me for writing many times! This phenomenal script and contextual tools such as contentual toolbar and Radial Menu complement each other
Old 08-12-2022, 02:33 AM   #40
pcp

Quote:
Would be awesome if the hints could be clickable, since the mouse is there already.
pcp is offline   Reply With Quote