Old 02-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
Fillerupmac
Human being with feelings

Default Everything sounds like a piano!

I have been messing around with Reaper since Cakewalk "walked out". Have been able to resolve any problems up until now.

I hadn't used Reaper for a couple weeks, and yesterday first thing, I updated to the latest version.

I have an Arturia Keylab 61 and that works just fine with Analog Lab - no problems.

But starting after the Reaper update no matter what sound I choose in the FX portion, the result sounds like an anemic piano! Reaper sounds, Diva sounds, Alturia sounds, it sounds like a piano. Simple little tunes I had done as tests, which worked before, now sound like a piano.

I have a Sound Blaster card and ASIO driver, that all workds fine.

I removed Reaper, removed the install folder and a folder in Users/APDATA, and reinstalled - same problem.

What's wrong?????

Al Schlafli
Fillerupmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
domzy

perhaps you have inadvertently set your output to Microsoft GS Wavetable synth or maybe even some sort of GM synth on the soundblaster?
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
Coachz

What happens when you arm the Channel with arturia lab and use the virtual keyboard as input?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
Fillerupmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
perhaps you have inadvertently set your output to Microsoft GS Wavetable synth or maybe even some sort of GM synth on the soundblaster?
I'm pretty sure I want to stay away from anything Microsoft
Al
Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
Fillerupmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
What happens when you arm the Channel with arturia lab and use the virtual keyboard as input?
At first I thought Arturia might have something to do with the problem. But the keyboard seems to be working fine, and associating just fine with Reaper. Whether I use the Keylab keyboard or Reaper's internal midi keyboard, any sound I choose - sounds like a piano.

I even stayed away from anything Arturia - no analog lab, no keyboard, just strictly Reaper sound (Reasynth, like Gioia uses in his demos) and Reaper keyboard. If I just have one track, and arm that track any sound I hear sounds like a piano (the same piano). It will record OK, but playback sounds like a piano.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillerupmac View Post
I'm pretty sure I want to stay away from anything Microsoft
Al
Precisely, and the symptoms you are describing sound like you may have MIDI playback sending to onboard GM. And you mentioned soundblaster, which aroused my suspicions.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Fillerupmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
Precisely, and the symptoms you are describing sound like you may have MIDI playback sending to onboard GM. And you mentioned soundblaster, which aroused my suspicions.
Thanks Domzy! While this wasn't the exact answer, it did lead me to experimenting with the midi playback, which solved the problem.

Al
Old 02-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
sisaso

And the solution was? Please tell us and mark the threadtitel as solved, please.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote