Old 02-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
d.vyd
Human being with feelings

Default record MIDI and VST audio output simultaneously?

I'm currently simultaneously recording incoming MIDI and VST audio output. But, I'm not sure if my setup is ideal. I'd welcome advice. I have identical MIDI coming into two tracks. One simply records the MIDI. The other track has a VST and records the output. I positioned the audio track as a subtrack of the MIDI track (folder), so I see a faint audio waveform behind the MIDI data and keep the subtrack hidden (folded closed). Conversely, I've hidden all the MIDI tracks in the mixer at the bottom of the screen since I cannot think why I would change the audio levels for MIDI.

There are some advantages of this setup: (1) I understand it. (2) it is easy to fold/close/hide things I don't need to see.

There are some disadvantages of this setup: (1) I need twice as many tracks. Ten instruments will require twenty tracks, which seems cumbersome. (2) if I want to change the VST, I need to unhide the audio subtrack and click on the "FX" button, it is not immediately available. (3) the black MIDI data and gray audio waveform could be differentiated more and could provide more visual information (maybe use color to show MIDI velocity?)

Please feel free to comment or advise.

-d.vyd
d.vyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
lunker

I do kind of the opposite.

I have the VSTi track as the parent/folder, and the MIDI track as a child inside it. The child track sends the MIDI to the parent track, so that I can record either the MIDI or the VSTi output (or both), depending on I want.

One advantage is having only one copy of the MIDI track. Another advantage (to me) is that I can create multiple child tracks, so that I can record different MIDI takes and mute the ones I don't want.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
d.vyd

>>>I can record either the MIDI or the VSTi output (or both),

Thanks Lunker. Can you actually record both MIDI and VST in the same track at the same time? If so, how ?!
d.vyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.vyd View Post
>>>I can record either the MIDI or the VSTi output (or both),

Can you actually record both MIDI and VST in the same track at the same time?
No, I don't think so.

To be clear, I have two tracks:

VSTI (Parent)
-> MIDI (Child)

I can arm either (or both) of the tracks for recording. If I arm only the MIDI track, only the MIDI is recorded, but I still hear the audio from the VSTi because the MIDI is sent from the child track to the parent track.

If I arm them both, then I can record both the MIDI and VSTi output in one pass (but on separate tracks).

As mentioned above, I like this because I can easily add more child tracks to record more MIDI, and mute the ones I don't want:

VSTI (Parent)
-> MIDI (Child) [mute]
-> MIDI (Child) [mute]
-> MIDI (Child)

PS -- This is just my preferred method. Someone else may come along with a suggestion that you like better. I could use multiple MIDI items/takes on the same track, but I find it easier to use multiple tracks (just a personal preference).

Last edited by lunker; 02-12-2019 at 11:01 AM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote