Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-11-2020, 03:21 AM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default I need a recommendation of a good MIDI virtual keyboard program ....

I have been doing a lot of singing and I am now interested in getting into creating my own stuff and am looking for some suggestions of virtual MIDI keyboards software that some of you out there use that you like.

For example, I love meditation music and would love to create some of my own to share with others......

Yes, I know that there might be a lot of MIDI keyboards out there, but, just looking for some suggestions for a place to start....

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:41 AM   #2
domzy

can you clarify what you are looking for - is it virtual instruments or a MIDI keyboard (or both)?
If virtual instruments - what sort of sounds etc,
If a MIDI keyboard - how big do you need, do you need controllers etc?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
sjs94704

Not looking for a physical keyboard, just software (Maybe that looks like a keyboard on the screen).

As far as what sounds I'm looking for, I am interested in creating meditation music, so, here is a link to a YouTube video of some meditation music which is the type I'm looking to create. So, the kinds of sounds you hear in this is what I'm looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFcSrYw-ARY
Old 02-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
nofish

Reaper has one included: View -> Virtual MIDI Keyboard

Then there's e.g. this one:
https://4drx.com/plugins/product.php?p=VirtualKeyboard

which seems to have a bit more features than Reaper's but isn't free.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Reaper has one included: View -> Virtual MIDI Keyboard

Then there's e.g. this one:
https://4drx.com/plugins/product.php?p=VirtualKeyboard

which seems to have a bit more features than Reaper's but isn't free.
i don't think he's looking for a virtual keyboard, i think he's looking for a synth or sound generator.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
sjs94704

Now that you say a SYNTH, yes, that is more like it .....
Old 02-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #7
nofish

Ok, but then the thread title seems a bit misleading to me saying "virtual keyboard program", maybe consider changing it.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
Reason

Download Synth1.
Get some presets (NOT the 25000 presets pack, you'll never find what you want in there.) I'd look on youtube so you can audition them first.
Find some good patches.
Twiddle some knobs.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:23 AM   #9
fred garvin

The sounds in your video are what keyboard players generally call ambient or "pad" sounds, I'd suppose because they make nice mellow musical "pads" for other musical parts to rest on or just chill out and relax to. Most general use synths will offer these types of sounds. Not really into synths enough to know who does the best pads but Synthmaster is kinda considered to be able to do most things and has a free version with 500 presets.

But... what I really recommend is you look up the old HG Fortune (RIP) stuff. He was an unusual synth designer who built very elaborate designs, many of which were designed to make pad and ambient soundscape type sounds and some of which will just kinda play themselves from little or no input. Might be just the thing. Old unsupported stuff but I'm not aware of any contemporary equivalents. (Anybody?) Caveats: No support, old 32 bit programs, very weird elaborate interfaces but kinda intended AFAIK to be poked at and messed with without necessarily real understanding. Try Wheel of Fortune or Dream Machine. His stuff is available various places, here's one:
www.vst4free.com/index.php?dev=HG_Fortune&l=0

Or just buy a sample pack. Anything with "ambient" or "dream" or "...scape" in the title will be a likely candidate.

Good luck, have fun!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #10
sjs94704

Hey, Fred ....

I really appreciate your suggestion of the HG Fortune synth. I downloaded it and was able to easily put the .DLL file in my VST folder and the interface is displayed.

However, there is a folder with a bunch of files with the extension of .SEM and there are no install instruction that I could find and am not sure what to do with these SEM files and was wondering if you can offer some guidance ????

I have installed VST DLL files before, but, when there are no install instructions and these extra files I get lost really easy cuz I'm new to dealing with VSTs this way. Most of the ones I have install themselves with an EXE file, but this is an exception .....

I would be grateful for yours or anyone else's help to know exactly what to do to make sure I have proper access to these SEM files.

Thanks,
Steven S
Old 02-13-2020, 01:21 AM   #11
zeekat

Usually you just unpack everything (.DLL and a folder with those SEM files) inside your VST directory and you should be good. SEM files are just some data files used by plugins made with Synthedit package. SE plugins have history of being a bit crashy - not sure if it's still true, but I learned to avoid those.

+1 for Synth1, it's free, lightweight, stable and does amazing sounding pads(I use it mostly for them).
Old 02-13-2020, 02:11 AM   #12
fred garvin

Hey Steven. Um well I don't know off the top of my head. As mentioned these are unsupported and I haven't messed with one in a decade or so. However I never recall one not working or having any problems. What I'd suggest is that you make a folder with the name of the synth in your VST folder. Select the contents of the downloaded file and drag into that folder. You should now have the contents of the downloaded file with the structure preserved, i.e. everything where it should be to work. Good luck!

Zeekat's advice and recommendations are solid. However z I don't think Steven plays keys so might be an issue there, hence the HGF rec since as mentioned some kinda play themselves. Not aware of any contemporary alternatives.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:16 AM   #13
zeekat

Hey, neither do I, Synth1 with more elaborate presets can do pretty animated noises even with minimum user input. Just put a brick on the keyboard and be back in an hour to collect your complete ambient longplay.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:53 AM   #14
fred garvin

@zeekat: As said, I consider your advice to be solid. There are many paths to this goal.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
Reason

Here's a couple of starting points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gAtB2vUJtg
He goes through it too quickly and without enough explanation in my opinion, so I'd just pause it at 4:30 and copy all the settings visually. 4:55 for a demo of the finished product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuUQy0yq83g
This one is more in-depth and explains more.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote