Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #81
Smurf
Human being with feelings

Default Yep, The 2nd Year Collection, Is Now Up!

You can go HERE and grab the zip file. This covers from 12-24-2009, post #1126, to 12-25-2010 post # 1687 in both RTF & PDF formats.

This folder also includes.....

Producing yourself-- WDYRSLA spin off 2 - Stopped 3-28-10 at post #161

and

Yep's Room Acoustic Thoughts - Stopped 9-23-2010 post #76.

Again, a HUGE Thank You to yep & everyone who has posted in the threads, I have learned a lot from ya all!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #82
flight

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these, and how they compare to the types discussed so far?

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/traps/traps.html

There is (of course) more info out there by Googling it as well...
f
flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #83
mvrpbrian

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
You can go HERE and grab the zip file. This covers from 12-24-2009, post #1126, to 12-25-2010 post # 1687 in both RTF & PDF formats.

This folder also includes.....

Producing yourself-- WDYRSLA spin off 2 - Stopped 3-28-10 at post #161

and

Yep's Room Acoustic Thoughts - Stopped 9-23-2010 post #76.

Again, a HUGE Thank You to yep & everyone who has posted in the threads, I have learned a lot from ya all!

Merry Christmas!
Thanks to Smurf for the files! Also, big thanks to yep and all of the other contributors who give us confidence that we can make quality recordings at home without spending tons of money. The Reaper community is awesome.
mvrpbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #84
Youn

Our good friend Ethan Winer got completely banned from Gear Slutz recently. Why? I'm not sure. I read the cached thread that led to the banning and folks were simply questioning why he was banned from parts of GS, giving him thanks, etc... then BAM, they took him out.

(Don't go asking about it to GearSlutz admin, they'll probably ban you)

I just wanted to express my thanks to Ethan for all his acoustic help over the years. It's a tough business, lots of passionate voices and clashing of egos. It's really funny in a way too... some fluffy pink stuff like insulation can be the source of so much angst and controversy.
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #85
fixerdave

Hello, because I had to remove and replace my living/recording room ceiling, after watching one of his videos about bass absorption, I decided to not put up plaster board but instead I put nice blue speaker cloth in the room and 12" of insulation in the loft. Any sound going up to my ceiling goes into the loft and it don't come back... Couldn't do a before and after test but it's got to help.. dave
fixerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #86
Kenten

Does anyone have any experience with acoustical foam cubes as shown on this page?

http://www.foamforyou.com/foam_corner_kits.htm

See "foam cube blocks," about halfway down the page. I am thinking about buying a few of the 12" x 12" x 12" cubes. They seem easier to put up (Yep's instructions for mounting the DIY rigid fiberglass broadband absorbers left me scratching my head), and not a bad price. The webpage seems to provide some kind of data about absorption properties (NRC?) but I don't know what that means.
Kenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #87
JoeBlivion

Location: Kansas City, legendary musical history and great Q.

Back to the top.

Sabbath's new album "13" will be out June 13, 2013. If it sounds like Brittany, I'm out. I'll still have my memories from the 70's, turning my stereo up to 11 and loving the Sab, making my parents regret reproducing, not that my sis didn't already have that covered. My tastes are more refined these days, but there's a 14 year old kid in me that is looking forward to hearing the new release. Oh, and Brittany looks good in a skirt.
JoeBlivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #88
Smurf

This has to be the most useless off-topic bump I have seen in a long time, Thanks for the laugh!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #89
JoeBlivion

Location: Kansas City, legendary musical history and great Q.

Ozzy and Brittany are the pinacle of useless, the thanks all go to pop culture for setting the bar sooo......low? high?
JoeBlivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #90
Stipes Vigilo

Nice information and perspectives here.
I hope I'm not out of line by asking for a couple of opinions,
or that it starts anything out of the original post instructions.

Concerning the treatment of three walls with curtain on fourth;
If only two of the walls lend to full treatment, as the other two
are a doorless full closet used for spare equipment
and the other with an outside window, would you curtain them both?

Note: Closet mostly has factory cardboard boxes,
plastic files cabinets for manuals, cords and connection adaptors.
Stipes Vigilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #91
RedStone

Yep - great info. I'm reading the "why your recordings sound like a**" thread ... amazing!

What do monitor isolation pads do? Would those be as effective as other room treatments?

Last edited by RedStone; 05-03-2014 at 10:26 PM.
RedStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #92
jpanderson80

In line with this thread, I got myself a dedicated room and made 8 broadband panels. One in each corner - suspended vertically and strandling the corners. One on each of the first reflection locations on the left and right of mix position. One behind the monitors, and one at the back of the room.

I cannot believe my ears. The before and after difference is enormous. I've never heard music, even music that I've listened to for 20 years, with such clarity. In the past, I've used foam panels to treat first reflection points. I noticed the difference. But with broadband... the difference was remarkable.

I could go on and on about the difference. It simply astonishing.

Thanks for the help, Yep.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #93
ivansc

Since we are into thread necromancy....
I finally got round to building and hanging four superchunk bass traps in my tiny studio.
I had bought a pair of really expensive monitors and decided I needed to fix the room acoustics out of respect for them.

Amazing difference. Even more so when I stood the monitors on four sorbethane balls & stood the stands on 6mm sorbethane sheet! Net cost for that was under $20.

I had no idea how much crap I was picking up from speaker-borne vibrations!

Next step is to add more broadband trapping but do yourselves a favour and dont forget about your monitor stands.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #94
Lophophora

This is the most interesting and useful topic I read in a very long time. Thanks, especially to yep.
Lophophora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #95
burrahobbit

Hello,

I've got some questions regarding vocal boo-I know, I know! It's been talked about a thousand times, give me a second to explain!

Thing is, I've been googling, and there's so much information (many times contradictory) that at this point I'm more lost and confused than I was when I started.
And since the people here seems to be well grounded and knowledgeable on these matters, perhaps you guys could help me to get back on track.

These are my current tools:
-A 3x4mts with 3mts ceiling room (a regular room, with a bed, a wardrobe, and a shitload of books, so despite it being not-so-big, most of the reverberation and bass frequencies are absorbed by the stuff in it)
(9'10"x13'1" if I'm not doing it wrong)
-A Rode NT2-A microphone with it's proper shock mount and pop filter

What I aim to record:
-Voice (classical singers specifically, so we're dealing with a richly harmonic, resonant, and well projected sound source). This is the most important of all.
-An upright piano.
-Occasionally, small percussive instruments (udu, small bamboo bongoes, kalimbas, etc.)

What my current plans are:
First, I've already checked my room for the sweet spots for recording and got some results I'm not dissatisfied with. But I think it can be made better, and since "drying up" the sound seems like a possibility, I want to give it a try. Of course, once I have the booth, this means I'll have to re-check for the spots again, but whatcha gonna do.

So, on to planning the so-called booth.
I decided the best would be to build it with three 60cm (23 inches) high-density 50mm rock-wool panels shaped kind of like this \_/ to be placed _behind_ the singer; after all the microphone has a cardioid pattern amongst it's possible configurations.
Thing is, provided what I've got in mind so far is not abhorrently wrong, I've got no idea how tall it ought to be!
Is it enough if I use the standard 1mts (3'3") length of the panels (mounted on some kind of support I guess)?
Do I need to make also a roof for the booth to contain possible reflections from the ceiling?
Have I understood everything wrong and am about to make a huge mistake?
Who is Eric Cartman's father?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give, and for having taken the time to read through all of this.

Last edited by burrahobbit; 12-21-2014 at 11:41 AM.
burrahobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #96
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrahobbit View Post
Is it enough if I use the standard 1mts (3'3") length of the panels (mounted on some kind of support I guess)?
I don't know.
Quote:
Do I need to make also a roof for the booth to contain possible reflections from the ceiling?
I don't know.
Quote:
Have I understood everything wrong and am about to make a huge mistake?
I don't know.
Quote:
Who is Eric Cartman's father?
Ah - I know this one. It's Jack Tenorman, formerly of the Denver Broncos. Cartman had him killed in the season five episode "Scott Tenorman Must Die," starring Radiohead.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #97
burrahobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
I don't know.

I don't know.

I don't know.

Ah - I know this one. It's Jack Tenorman, formerly of the Denver Broncos. Cartman had him killed in the season five episode "Scott Tenorman Must Die," starring Radiohead.
Oh damn, I haven't watched SP consistently since like season six, never thought they would actually answer the question!

Buuuut, back to the topic: for future reference, I tried using the rockwool setup as I first suggested (U shape, 1x0.6mts panels at the height of the microphone) and it worked wonders, got some really nice dry takes.
burrahobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:29 AM   #98
ringing phone

Does anyone have any experience with Primacoustics? For what they do are the materials ok? They only make 3" broadband corner traps. But they have room kits of scatter blocks etc. Are they made from reasonable materials?
Old 11-03-2017, 12:51 AM   #99
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post

One time only anectdotes are NOT evidence

HAVE AT IT!!!!
Just an amateurish experiment, not true science, no replication, nothing but anecdotal evidence...

But, I seek not to change the world, make money, convince others; I seek only a better recorded guitar sound, for myself given my unique setup and gear (i.e. cheap amateur-entry level stuff).

I was told that 'blankets' could not treat a room, so... I tried it anyway!

In this non-replicated experiment (N=1), I have this to report: The blankets improved the quality of the recorded guitar.

Here is my experimental 'treated room' / recording booth:

Results:

I noticed less background noise, less harshness, less 'robotic' metallic distortion/artifacts (note: cheap condenser microphone - blue yeti that I detest), and also less random spikes in the harmonics/overtones. Somehow, this experiment made me not want to toss the microphone in the garbage anymore...

Draw backs? It's hot in there!!! lol
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 PM   #100
fep

Default Sound control curtains?

My music room is 10 by 14 and I am treating it based on Yep's recomendations. Since I have things against most of the walls and corners I'm going to put 4 OC 703 panels on 3 way corners of the ceiling/walls, 1 more OC panel on a 2 way corner of the ceiling/wall, my 6th panel split in 1/2 placed on the early reflection points of the side walls.

My back wall is a wooden door to a hall way and sliding closet doors, these take up almost the entire width of the wall. Inside the closet is a file cabinet and music gear (i.e. no clothing).

I'm thinking the next think to treat is the back wall reflection. Would sound control curtains hanging off of the back wall in front of the closet be useful?

Something like:

https://smile.amazon.com/Moondream-S...-1-spons&psc=1

Last edited by fep; 02-26-2019 at 09:29 PM.
fep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:35 AM   #101
Studiodawg

Untreated square rooms do sound strange. When I work in rooms like this, I mix with the volume down low to keep reflections from getting too excited.
Studiodawg is offline   Reply With Quote