Old 04-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Kaitain
Human being with feelings

Default OSC over USB

Hello there

I'm bulding a USB MIDI controller and now I'd like to expand its capabilities by making it OSC ready. However Reaper OSC configuration window expects an IP/Port.

As long as I'm using the USB to transmit the OSC messages with no Wifi/Ethernet involved, what Teensy's IP/port should I use?

Any help is welcome!

PD: I'm VERY new on OSC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper.jpg (54.4 KB, 316 views)
Kaitain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
azslow3

OSC is a network protocol. While nothing prevents transfer the same information in other (not network) packets, there is one technical nuance: there is standard "USB MIDI" driver, which creates MIDI device. But there is no standard "USB OSC" driver, you will need to write something on that place.

Practically not so hard, there are standard "generic USB" drivers to which user land program can connect (f.e. Ableton Push works that way). Still, some program (driver or not) should work with network to forward OSC messages.

But till you want something extremely special, I recommend to stay with (bi-directional) MIDI. OSCII-bot can take the role of OSC bridging then.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Kaitain

Thanks azslow3,

Okay, so OSCII-bot can convert from OSC to MIDI and viceversa. I've downloaded it already.

Sorry for the noob question, but how to use it?
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
azslow3

In the window you see from where it tries to load scripts. Example scripts are in the distribution (copy some into that location), then using the documentation and/or related forum board you can program the conversion for your particular controller into OSC messages of choice.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:27 AM   #5
Kaitain

Hi azslow3. Still stucked here.

Besides using OSCbot, I'd like to make myy device to send OSC messages directly.
So far I've managed to send OSC messages using SLIP serial library. The problem now is that these messages are coming into the computer through the USB port, and my sequencer (Reaper), when congigured to OSC, is waiting for packets from the network card, with their corresponding IP address and port.

So, as you pointed out, now I need an intermediate program that takes the SLIP messages from the USB and "tricks" the SO, making it to think that these messages comes in fact from the network card.

You mentioned "Practically not so hard, there are standard "generic USB" drivers to which user land program can connect (f.e. Ableton Push works that way)"

So far haven't found anything like that. What I've found is a lot of apps useful to share your USB devices over an network, but what I need this hapenning inside my own computer. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Old 06-27-2018, 04:23 AM   #6
azslow3

Till your device (the hardware side) has no own Network interface (like f.e. ESP8266), there is no reason to do/emulate any "networking" inside it since you can not bypass some software driver (or alike) which route the traffic. I mean there is no benefits from creating "network packets" (or alike) on the hardware end in case you need special software.

IMHO:
* if you support MIDI USB (in hardware), OSCIIbot is the way to go
* if your device is USB-Serial, you need some program which take the traffic from corresponding COM and send it as OSC.
* if your device is "custom", you need some driver to communicate with it or use Winusb/libusb approach to do the same in user land program