Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-13-2018, 05:45 AM   #1
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Default How to repair "boxy/hollow" sounding narration audio ?

Dear all,

I received a couple of narration soundfiles that sound fairly "boxy / hollow"
With "boxy / hollow" i mean that the narration is problaby recorded in a not that good acoustically treated voice-over cell and i can clearly hear "the room" of that cell in the files.

Is there perhaps some magic plugin (JS and/or Thirdparty) that can clean out that boxy/hollow sound abit ?
Some kind of a "de-verb" plugin ?

Thanks in advance for your help !
Old 12-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #2
beingmf

Tough one, good luck!
The only three products that come to mind from the top of my head are of course Ozone (the latest one is killer if you watch the demo videos), Zynaptiq and Acon.
Hopefully they offer demo versions that you can use on your audio.

And if so, please report back which of these rendered the best result
Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
semiquaver

Izotope's 'dereverb' in RX3 RX4 etc might help although results are pretty spotty.

If someone had fired a starter pistol in the room you could deconvolve...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Dear all,

I received a couple of narration soundfiles that sound fairly "boxy / hollow"
With "boxy / hollow" i mean that the narration is problaby recorded in a not that good acoustically treated voice-over cell and i can clearly hear "the room" of that cell in the files.

Is there perhaps some magic plugin (JS and/or Thirdparty) that can clean out that boxy/hollow sound abit ?
Some kind of a "de-verb" plugin ?

Thanks in advance for your help !
If its to much you wont get satisfied even with the most expensive plugins. The problem is, those hollow, near room interference sound sticks between words and syllables where it cant get eliminated. You only will end up with an uneven sounding voice track. (Because those plugins need silence parts to find the sustain.)
I appreciate to try some subtle optimizations and then use it as an effect rather then hiding it. I once had the same problem and I had no chance to get a new voice recording. So I put a hard and short gated verb above and a fitting delay with a slight distortion. Everyone loved it. But it was Indie Rock/Electro where it fitted perfectly. This wont work with country or something where sounds should be more classical.

Anyway. This is something I really hate. Especially when people make voice overs for videos and use a spherical field for there microphone. Its really hard to adjust something like that to a good sounding level.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:46 AM   #5
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
If its to much you wont get satisfied even with the most expensive plugins. The problem is, those hollow, near room interference sound sticks between words and syllables where it cant get eliminated.
As far as I understood the idea of Ozone's latest technology, it's rather an AI approach than a mere traditional sound-engineer one. If you watch the demos, the program seems to be clearly able to distinguish between e.g. voice, percussive elements, bass in a finished mix (while the manipulation of the recognized elements sounded completely natural), so my guess is that the same algorithm should be able to distinguish between a "clear" voice and the muddy, hollow room aura around it.
Surely interesting, these times!
Old 12-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #6
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
As far as I understood the idea of Ozone's latest technology, it's rather an AI approach than a mere traditional sound-engineer one. If you watch the demos, the program seems to be clearly able to distinguish between e.g. voice, percussive elements, bass in a finished mix (while the manipulation of the recognized elements sounded completely natural), so my guess is that the same algorithm should be able to distinguish between a "clear" voice and the muddy, hollow room aura around it.
Surely interesting, these times!
Maybe they have a new approach to solve such things. When Malodyne suddenly was able to change keys in printed compositions I also wouldn't have thought it was possible if I had not seen it at a fair presentation. It looked like an illusion from Copperfield.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
RDBOIS
Banned

400-600 hz?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
beingmf

Totally forgot about the most specialized tool: Sonible Proximity EQ.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
vanhaze

Great, i am gonna try that one, thx !!
Old 01-09-2019, 05:53 AM   #10
beingmf

Did that work?