Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
-MattmaN-
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone like the idea of a built in sampler?

Something like Ext's sampler,or even something simple like Lives Simpler would be cool.
-MattmaN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
bullshark

Quote:
Anyone like the idea of a built in sampler?
Well, it's hard to say no to features, but frankly there is already a lot of samplers (more like samples playback actually, not really any real sampler...) out there in all price range, and there's still so much to do in Reaper, expecially in the MIDI side, that I would prefer Justin to devote his time to something else if I had any say in it.

Things like synching the MIDI editor to the timeline or having inline editing (why not both à la eXT), a proper velocity editor (the bar on the notes is cool, but its a one note at a time type of thing...), fxp and fxb loading and saving, cc editing, sound feedback on note selection, defineable loop area, quantazing on record etc etc...
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
-MattmaN-

Yeah I agree that the midi needs highest priority at this stage,but I'm just mentioning this as an idea for down the road.
I would like to see a sampler implemented at some point.
It's ceratainly not a necesity,but would certainly be a nice extra,and add precieved value to the app.
-MattmaN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
bullshark

Oh, after everything else is done, I'm all for it. But then, make it a real sampler, not just another mundane and buggy samples playback app of which there's already too much of. You know, like use the recording facilities of Reaper to record, clean up, set loop point, set root notes, velocity and range mapping...
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark

a proper velocity editor (the bar on the notes is cool, but its a one note at a time type of thing...)
You do realise that you can hilight multiple midi events and change the velocities toghether? (You may, I'm just pointing it ou, just in case)

I understand that this isn't the end all-be all, but it's there. Perhaps not a substitute for a full on velocity editor, but...

I agree, btw that there are too many sample players to concern Justin with this, at least for now.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
RokkD

A good inline midi editor, fxp/fxb support, a better fx window allowing large vsti and fx gui's to use the whole screen (high on my list), there's plenty of work to do yet, so I wouldn't want to see Justin sidetracked just now.

But a good suggestion for down the road.

--
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
synth

With the velocity editor in FL Studio,for example,I can plot a complex velocity "curve" with just one mouse click. Editing 100's of notes at once without highlighting...with a single click.That's what I say powerful

Inline editing is the thing I want to see the most.
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
blitze

No to a sampler.

There are plenty of free and commercial samplers out there and I don't this is meant to be the kitchen sink to audio creation. Just a bloody good place for you to use your fav tools.

Any1 looking for VST's have a look at the KVR Audio Forums and you'll see plenty there listed be they free or otherwise.
blitze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
synth

Sampler,maybe but that gets lowest priority.First let Justin finish and polish the main REAPER program,then you may think about adding extra "plugins".
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:19 AM   #10
scum

and i want built in bass and guitar
scum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
plamuk

cockos could probably create the coolest sampler ever, and maybe someday they will
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
PHLENDOCAT

+1 to no Sampler (or rompler for that matter). Ever heard of EW's PLAY? And that's my point: Why Jump the Shark when things are going great? Reaper should continue to distinguish itself by NOT being the kitchen sink of DAWS... isn't that what Acid, Traktion, FL and Band in a Box are for?

Last edited by PHLENDOCAT; 01-08-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling
PHLENDOCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
dub3000

Its interesting to note that pretty much everything from bullshark's request from 2006 right at the top of this thread did end up being implemented...

But yeah - a sampler would be a pretty big undertaking if it were something that could actually compete with kontakt etc
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
brainwreck

+1 to a sampler that actually samples, with no need for drag n drop from tracks or combing through directories. Naturally, it would also be a sample player. All of the parts for a kickass sampler are already in Reaper, they just aren't assembled as a sampler. Have any of you ever used or looked at something like an Ensoniq ASR-10? That's what I'm talking about, but editing and tweaking things could be much easier in daw land than it was in an old hardware unit. To get an idea about sampling, there's a 13 part video about the ASR-10 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUCrnJToFGU (gotta love those cheesy fans on the wall)

All of the current software samplers are sample players/romplers, not samplers.

Last edited by brainwreck; 01-08-2011 at 07:43 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
bennisixx

see reaper is already a sampler if you can record....

BUT ....what it could do is have a editor that chops/full ASDR support/pitch/lp-hp filtering, poly\mono playback, etc all dumped into midi playable keys....

so if I record onto track 1 for 2 bars, trim up start and end. then I insert "REASAMPLER" on track 2
I can drag the recorded item into the "sampler",set up slice points, season to taste and load up the midi editor and go to town since the slices are set on notes.
EDIT: You would have to be able to set this up as an assignable multi timbral output so Chanel one is slice one. and you can mute tracks accordingly.
BUT AGAIN, I think midi needs to be 1st priority.

after reading brainwrecks post again, I guess you could rout reapers inputs into the sampler and do it all in the plug.

Last edited by bennisixx; 01-08-2011 at 09:27 PM.
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #16
PitchSlap

I'd like to see the Media Explorer evolve and get some more 'sampling' capabilities like being able to trigger onto the timeline, trigger samples via MIDI, pitch shift via MIDI etc.

I always used to use a sampler, but now for the most part I like to place samples onto the timeline for these reasons (and others):

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
1) You don't need a vsti that you have to buy
2) Uses less cpu power
3) You can work in a single window (the arrange) instead of switching back and forth between three: the arrange, the vsti, and the piano roll.
4) You can easily tell what's going on with the pattern just by looking at the events, which can be a bit more of a hassle when dealing with multiple midi clips that you would each have to name, and clip names can be useless with many tiny clips such as fills.
5) You don't have to mix effectively in two different places; within the vsti and in the normal mixer. This is great if you want to use your normal control surface for your drum sounds.
6) You can easily just create a track for each of your sounds, and have the full suite of options like fx, i/o, mute/solo which is much easier and more than you get from a vsti.
7) You don't have to worry about creating extra tracks with your vsti track that you may or may not use that clutter your project.
8) You can easily add fx, such as a delay or distortion to single items/hits which is a bigger deal with midi and envelopes.
9) A big one: When using the media explorer to choose your samples and then adding them straight to the project, you aren't forced to choose in one step and then create in another like you would be if you created a drum kit in a vsti and then created a midi pattern for it. Just open the media explorer, and start looking around for anything you like from however huge your sample library is, and then just add it in. Things are bound to evolve much more naturally and uniquely this way.