Old 12-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
Tahini
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper can't open Boss DR 880 midi inputs

Hello recording enthusiasts!

I have set my Boss DR 880 drum machine up using its USB cable to my laptop. Within the drum machine, I have selected MIDI for the USB option. In Reaper, I used the audio settings in preferences, and selected the Boss DR 880 as the input and out put. But when I record, Reaper says it can't open the midi inputs for Boss DR 880.

Has anyone gotten this to work yet? It would be a shame not to be able to use the drum machine with the computer.

Thanks so much,
-Tahini
Tahini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
b2001

Interesting ...

I can't remember if I also tried 880 to Reaper midi through USB and it did not work or if I never have. I have a Tascam us144mkII interface and while the audio to Reaper works, I have not been able to get the midi (through USB) to Reaper to work either. I suspect a driver issue.

Anyway I sync my 880 and Reaper through a Midisport 2x2 and midi cables. Works great!

Sorry to ask the obvious, but you do have audio cables going from the 880 to an audio interface that is connected to the computer/Reaper? It's not clear to me by what you say if you are trying to get midi or audio into Reaper.

Explain your setup and what you are trying to do with more detail and I should be able to help. I have recorded 880 patterns as both midi and as audio into Reaper with Reaper as slave and Reaper as master ...
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
Pollo

Most obvious reason that comes to mind is that some other application has already opened the MIDI port.
Most MIDI drivers are single client.
Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
Tahini

Default Reaper can't open MIDI inputs from Boss DR 880 Drum Machine

Hi there, people!

The way have this thing set up (which could be my problem) is with my Focusrite Scarlet Solo Interface connected to one of my asus laptop's USB ports. It allows me to plug in my guitar and listen to the guitar and Reaper through headphones plugged into the Scarlet Solo.

Then I have the Boss DR 880 set up so that its USB is in "MIDI mode." I plug the Boss DR 880's USB cable into a second USB port on the laptop and set Reaper to have the Dr 880 as input and output, using the Options--> Preferences--> Audio --> MIDI devices path.

The Boss DR 880 is not connected to the Scarlet Solo. The drum machine has MIDI in and out ports on the back panel, but I don't see any way to connect that to any port on the Scarlet Solo. The Scarlet solo has a guitar input and a mic input only. Maybe I need to get a different kind of interface and plug the drum machine into it.
Tahini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
b2001

You will need midi interface to the computer/Reaper - whether you get that working thru the 880 USB option or you buy a dedicated midi usb interface. I see used maudio midisport 2x2 all over the www.

You also need audio from your 880 to your Scarlet interface. Whether or not you want a different interface would depend on your desired results. It looks to me like your Scarlet has the option of line or instrument in which will allow you to get audio to Reaper. My Tascam has 2 channels - left and right line ins with one also optional as an instrument in. I can get stereo audio in from the 880 and take advantage of the stereo depth of the 880 drumkits. Otherwise I would think you would have to bring each drum item (bass, snare, cymbals, etc) separately - in order to manipulate the drum stereo field in Reaper - which is very doable just a lot more work.

If you are a one person show, I am not sure I see a need for an interface with more than two inputs, at least the way I work - too hard to record drums and play guitar at the same time due to the nature of how the 880 and Reaper sync up.

After recording the drums, they will be off a little due to a delay in midi syncing when - it is easy enough to correct in Reaper after recording.

So:
I usually create a simple drum click track in Reaper using a vsti and a midi drum - all within Reaper. I then play and record my rhythm guitars and base keyboards in timing with the click track.

I then get my 880 drums into Reaper and then add bass and other instruments on top of that - layering. My goal is always to get the drum audio into Reaper. Making sure that Reaper BPM and the 880 BPM are the same ensures the audio will line up with the Reaper grid after "nudging" it as per the issue mentioned above. There are many ways to do all this - just giving you some ideas based on how I work.

I typically set up a midi based track for midi syncing the 880 and Reaper and a separate stereo audio track for recording the 880 audio output into Reaper. It works great. I do the same thing for getting mcp1000 sequences that I build into Reaper. I do all my listening thru my interface headphone output.

As you get into this further, I can answer questions on how I have it set up, I have it written down ... It very much does work. Just make sure that any device you are thinking of purchasing, that the drivers are avilable for the version of windows os that your computer is on.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
mdismuke

Can't you just connect the DR-880 to the interface and record the audio, as you would an instrument?
mdismuke is offline   Reply With Quote