Old 02-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default CP Fan noise in condenser MIC is loud!

When my MIC is armed, I can hear my PC fan making a constant HUMMING sound as well as other noises that are constant, such as the refrigerator motor, etc.

I only have 400 Sq Feet on the planet, so, everything I own, my kitchen is all in one room!

What can I do to minimize this noise going in through my MIC?
Old 02-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

1) Use a directional mic and point it away from the computer

B) Get your source louder and/or closer to the mic

III) Put something between the mic and the PC to block the noise. Ideally, put it in a box.

4) Apply some acoustic treatment to your room. This will definitely improve the sound of whatever your micing anyway, and make mixing a lot easier, but it will also help soak up some of the noise that is bouncing around the room. Like, you can point your mic away from the computer, but if that same noise is bouncing off the wall that the mic is pointed at anyway...

Most importantly - Ignore anybody who tells you that a dynamic mic will pick up less of the room noise. A condenser is more sensitive to EVERYTHING - "signal" and "noise" together. It won't change the S/N ratio. It'll just make the same mix of both that much louder.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
DVDdoug

You can unplug your refrigerator temporarily during recording and turn-off anything unnecessary.

Be a little careful with the computer... There's a reason it has fans and if you put it in a small box, or block the airflow, it could overheat.

But realistically, if this is a desktop/tower computer it's probably got "extra" fans and would be OK to disconnect one (or more) fans for a few minutes, especially if the room is not overly-hot. I wouldn't disconnect the CPU fan, and I wouldn't recommend opening the power supply to disconnect it's fan.

you can try ReaFIR noise reduction (after recording) but if the noise is bad, [/I]"The cure can be worse than the disease[/I]", and there's really no substitute for a quiet "studio".
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Allspice

I've done a lot of recordings in crappy situations so I figured I'd chime in! Put everything that makes noise that isn't your computer (like a refrigerator) on a switch and kill it during takes. Refrigerators can hold their temperature for a few hours at least, just don't open it and remember to turn it back on.

Figure out a way to move the mic further from your computer and still get what you need recorded. Every time you double the distance between the mic and the computer, it will seem half as loud. You can assign MIDI notes to things like STOP, RECORD, Go to beginning of looped section, etc. So a MIDI keyboard or Wi-Fi MIDI (if you take the time to set it up) is one way to control REAPER from a distance.

Learning to use ReaFIR for noise reduction is a great suggestion, after you do those other things. Even just a 6 db reduction in the background noise will make it seem half as loud.
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
Swamp Ape

Spend around 10 bucks and make yourself a small isolation booth for the mic. A plastic tub and a little bit of foam will go a long way.

Don't try to "fix it in the mix" - get it right at the recording stage and save yourself a lot of grief.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
Byron Dickens

You can use mover's blankets to rig up a a temporary isolation booth. They are cheap at Harbor Freight. Also, you can use one over the computer to help isolate it as well. Just be sure to leave space for ventilation.
Byron Dickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allspice View Post
Figure out a way to move the mic further from your computer and still get what you need recorded. Every time you double the distance between the mic and the computer, it will seem half as loud. You can assign MIDI notes to things like STOP, RECORD, Go to beginning of looped section, etc. So a MIDI keyboard or Wi-Fi MIDI (if you take the time to set it up) is one way to control REAPER from a distance.
And remember that you can also control REAPER remotley via the web interface:
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#CkMAj8CpvIU
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

Also, I forgot you don't want my advice. Just posted trying to help without actually looking at the poster's name. I'll delete my comments if you'd prefer.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:14 PM   #9
grinder

If you have a normal bed put that including mattress on it's end across a corner leaving an entry lane
between you and your computer etc then try your mic in there.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:45 PM   #10
jerome_oneil

Put the PC in the closet and unplug the fridge.

Even a half assed modern condenser will pick up every gnat fart in a three block area, so you want to treat your space accordingly.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #11
jerome_oneil

Oh yeah. And make a recording of your space when it's quiet. Use that to create a ReaFIR noise profile that can help to subtract the specific noises from your crappy room. That should be a last ditch thing, though. Your first efforts should be to remove the noise.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote