Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-04-2022, 02:09 PM   #1
bovinehost
Human being with feelings

Default All Instruments Recorded in Each Track

So this just started and I don't know why - I certainly didnt change anything.

I record drums on Track 1.
I record a bass on Track 2 with metronome on. Wait - I can hear the drums when I play back Track 2 solo'd.
I record two guitars on Tracks 3 and 4. When I solo either track, I can hear the drums and the bass!

This is likely an easily solved issue but it bugs me because I did NOT change anything.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
bovinehost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:18 PM   #2
vitalker

Perhaps you accidentally enabled menu Options -> Solo in front?
Or maybe you have solo defeat enabled on some tracks? Go to menu Actions -> Show action list and find action "Track: Unset track solo defeat (all tracks)". Run it and check whether it helped.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
bovinehost

No sir, that is absolutely not enabled.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
No sir, that is absolutely not enabled.
Both things? Then I don't know. If it's possible, I'd like to see a video/gif of it.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:27 PM   #5
bovinehost

A video or gif would not be exciting or illustrative, I think.

When I play back, say, the guitar track with everything else muted, I can still hear the other tracks although kind of phase-y.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:37 PM   #6
vitalker

Quote:
A video or gif would not be exciting or illustrative, I think.

When I play back, say, the guitar track with everything else muted, I can still hear the other tracks although kind of phase-y.
Are you sure it's not solo defeat or solo in front? What about sends? Did you send anything from those tracks to guitar track?
Old 10-04-2022, 05:09 PM   #7
bovinehost

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Are you sure it's not solo defeat or solo in front? What about sends? Did you send anything from those tracks to guitar track?
I don't ever even SEE those options but I do now know it's not solo defeat.

Here's an interesting bit I just noticed. Once I have the drums recorded, when I go to record the bass (or whatever is next), the metronome records on that enabled track. I'm stumped.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:02 PM   #8
domzy

what is your audio device?
it sounds like you might be recording with an onboard mic or a stereo mix / "what you hear" from your soundcard
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:52 PM   #9
bovinehost

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
what is your audio device?
it sounds like you might be recording with an onboard mic or a stereo mix / "what you hear" from your soundcard
I thought about that but what I have is a small, excellent Mackie mixer that I've been using for years now versus a "device". But to make sure I wasn't insane, I unplugged all the stuff that I usually leave plugged in and it still happens so it isn't the Mackie with a hot mic somewhere.

I'm growing tired of Reaper arbitrarily doing things I didn't tell it to do. I work and work for months and months without trouble and then, seemingly for no good reason, I have to spend days on end trying to figure out what I have to undo.

Anyone else have this happen? I mean, when it's working, I love the software, but I've wasted three days on this already and still counting.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:07 PM   #10
mixer9

I think I would paste a track to a new project and see how it sounds there.
mixer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:31 PM   #11
zeekat

Quote:
I'm growing tired of Reaper arbitrarily doing things I didn't tell it to do.
Pretty sure Reaper is not doing that, it just records stuff from the input device you chose. There must be some loopback/internal mixing thing going on the audio device part.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:24 AM   #12
bovinehost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer9 View Post
I think I would paste a track to a new project and see how it sounds there.
I called up a project I worked on before the issue began, deleting all the tracks and starting anew, thinking that I'd had no problem when I began that project.

Same thing happened when I recorded new tracks.

What would cause the metronome to be recorded on the armed track? There is no hot mic plugged in at all. If I (or you) can figure out why that happens then I think the problem can be solved.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:45 AM   #13
vitalker

You could just record a video and show us what is going on instead of wasting YOUR time.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:11 AM   #14
b2001

Record the drums on track 1.

Mute track 1 and record the bass on track 2. Bass does not have to line up with the drums as this is a test.

Unmute track 1 and solo track 2 and play. Do you still hear the drums , when soloing the bass?

Everything i have seen you describe (unless i missed something) seems to indicate your output along with your new instrument is present at your input on a new track when you record.

Whether that is a reaper or interface routing issue, i don’t know.

Have you tried a portable install of reaper to see if this occurs with that install?

Last edited by b2001; 10-05-2022 at 11:22 AM.
b2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:47 AM   #15
mixer9

Quote:
I called up a project I worked on before the issue began, deleting all the tracks and starting anew, thinking that I'd had no problem when I began that project.

Same thing happened when I recorded new tracks.

What would cause the metronome to be recorded on the armed track? There is no hot mic plugged in at all. If I (or you) can figure out why that happens then I think the problem can be solved.
I could have been clearer. I meant copy the problematic audio item from a track, and paste it into a track in a totally new project. Play it back to see if extra sounds really are in the item or if it's something with playback on your original project.
mixer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #16
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:

What would cause the metronome to be recorded on the armed track?
This is just a shot in the dark...but are you SURE the metronome is being recorded? I mean, after you record your track, are you turning off the metronome? Because if you don't turn off the metronome, you're always going to hear it and maybe think you recorded it.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, because I know what I said above might sound obvious. But, you never know, so I'm just making sure.
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:12 PM   #17
vitalker

Hm, how do you record guitar?
Old 10-05-2022, 07:13 PM   #18
bovinehost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
This is just a shot in the dark...but are you SURE the metronome is being recorded? I mean, after you record your track, are you turning off the metronome? Because if you don't turn off the metronome, you're always going to hear it and maybe think you recorded it.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, because I know what I said above might sound obvious. But, you never know, so I'm just making sure.
Fair to ask. I did a couple of tests and these are the results. I'd do a video if I could but don't know how. So:

1. If I mute the recorded drum track and record free form bass on Track 2, the drums are not present on Track 2, which makes sense - but of course you can't record a song like that.

2. If I arm a track to record and have absolutely no input, when I hit record I can see the waveform of the metronome. And of course HEAR it, too, but it's definitely being recorded.

It seems to me that if I (you) can figure out why that metronome is being recorded, the problem could be solved. I watched some videos on the SENDS and while I am not very smart about such things, they look to be in order.

And yeah, I also rebooted my computer. Nada.
Still records the metronome.

And I appreciate you guys thinking about this and offering opinions. Remember, I'm a bassist so please use small words.

Jack
Old 10-05-2022, 09:11 PM   #19
b2001

I can duplicate previously recorded instruments on previous tracks to the current track along with the current instrument by - route/add new send (to all tracks) - on each track. Describe your sends and why you are using them. I almost never use them.

I have not in any way been able to see the metronome waveform or record it. Googling for how it might be done only shows to insert a click source which inserts an audio item of the click.

Pending what you say on sends my next suspicion (still confused about metronome) -> seems to me the Reaper master outs are getting mixed with your instrument input in your mixer/interface. What specific mixer are you using?

Last edited by b2001; 10-05-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2022, 02:24 PM   #20
bovinehost

Well, I've tried some other stuff.

Today, I opened an old project, finished before the Trouble began. New track. Again, no input anywhere. Hit record. All tracks are recording to the new track.

I'd hoped that I could defeat the Trouble by using an older project but this was not the case. Something very basic has changed and I can't imagine what it would be. And again, I DID NOT CHANGE ANYTHING BEFORE THIS BEGAN.

I have an older install of Reaper on my laptop. Compare the SENDS settings with the newer install on the studio desktop. They're the same.

So before I delete Reaper and try my best to rebuild the entire thing, should I try this in the main forum thread instead of Newbieland? Do I dare delete and reinstall Reaper? I'm at wits end here.

Jack
Old 10-08-2022, 02:54 PM   #21
domzy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
There must be some loopback/internal mixing thing going on the audio device part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
Pending what you say on sends my next suspicion (still confused about metronome) -> seems to me the Reaper master outs are getting mixed with your instrument input in your mixer/interface. What specific mixer are you using?
have you checked your mixer (&/or audio preferences / input settings)?
Old 10-08-2022, 03:00 PM   #22
b2001

Post a picture of the sends on one of your tracks.

Why do you have sends?

As i said above, if i put sends on my tracks to other tracks; the destination track records the input instrument and the source tracks.

Create a portable install of reaper.
Create a brand new project, use no template that you might be using.
Do not use sends.
Record drums, then bass, then guitar on separate tracks.

What are your results?
Old 10-08-2022, 03:13 PM   #23
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
As i said above, if i put sends on my tracks to other tracks; the destination track records the input instrument and the source tracks.
that would only happen if the track was set to "record: output".

i think this sends thing is a red herring. The metronome being recorded is a telltale sign of it being a case of the master mix being recorded, i think.
this loopback is most likely happening at the audio device - the mackie mixer - i would guess, or maybe the input selector in Reaper preferences?
Old 10-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #24
b2001

I agree with your hypothesis on the master mix being recorded.
I couldn’t figure out a way to record the metronome within Reaper.

However, i would like to understand the sends configuration.

Regardless, as a part of troubleshooting things should be eliminated one at a time…

New project, no template, no sends
New version of reaper ( imho, a portable install which would allow comparison of ini files)
A different interface (might be hard if OP does not have one)
So on and so forth…
Old 10-08-2022, 05:24 PM   #25
bovinehost

Quote:
this loopback is most likely happening at the audio device - the mackie mixer - i would guess, or maybe the input selector in Reaper preferences?
Sir, you are absolutely correct about it being the Mackie. I went so far as to do a portable install and the results were the same as with the desktop install. I used some very creative language when that happened.

So I looked anew (and askance) at the Mackie. Lots of buttons I don't use but none were engaged. Wait - what's this USB THRU button? Never seen that one before, really, nor have I ever wondered what it did. I still don't actually know what it's good for, but it's right above a slider I do use all the time, and lo and behold, it's engaged. So, being fed up with everything else, I disengage it.

Lo and behold, indeed. I can now delete the portable install and get back to work on my real projects on my desktop install!

You guys tried really hard to correct my ignorance and I sure appreciate it.

Jack
Old 10-11-2022, 10:38 AM   #26
bigtop

So it was a routing problem of sorts.
Glad it worked out.
Pls edit thread title as solved.